collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall Black Bear Hunting  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
Fall Black Bear Hunting
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
Well I have set my personal goal for 2017, and it is to harvest a black bear.  :) I don't have a spring bear tag so I was wanting any and all info anyone could offer to give on fall bear tactics, where to look for them at(terrain, habitat, etc.), and good locations in western wa(not looking for anyones spot but just good general locations). Any and all info is greatly appreciated, I have read the wonderful write up on spring tactics written by @saylean it was a very very imformative read and I have his book on the way  :tup: Just looking to gather ALL the info I can and make this dream of mine become a reality! I have a Hancock pass as well so if anyone has info for up there too and is willing to share that is awesome as I live in Eatonville. Thank you all for your help, and locations close to Eatonville would be great but of course all western locations, tactics, all that listed above is welcome, I'm doing whatever it takes this year to put a bear on the ground. Thanks all!

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Fall Black Bear Hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
I've been saying the same thing for years now myself. There is a lot of open public land all assertion around Eatonville some will require a discover pass some is national forest. I stated following hiking forums for bear sightings, has yet to pay off but it can give you an idea of where and when bears are out.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Why arent you applying for spring bear. I believe you have till the end of the month to do so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
Why arent you applying for spring bear. I believe you have till the end of the month to do so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

:yeah:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline justyhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
We hunt Kapowsin , both sides and White River . I'm not trying to be arrogant but we find at the right time in the fall bear are easier to find and hunt than blacktail . We locate areas that have a good quantity of Himalayan black berries , locate a good vantage point that has favorable  winds and camp out . We will sit on an area all day if we feel the berries are right . In the last 3 years all our bear have been taken between 2pm and 3pm on hot days , but we've seen them at all hours . We don't hunt if it's raining , we've just never had any luck in the rain . In both Kapowsin and White River we've found good berries starting in late August and going through early October . Taste the berries , the sweater they are the more the bear like them , also watch for birds , if the berries are good there will be birds all over them . If one area dries up we just find another area and camp out . If you can locate a area that gets over looked the action can be crazy with multiple sightings in a day. I won't give up our spots , we worked to hard to find them but if Hancock make changes that don't agree with us and we don't buy the pass I'll PM you and throw you a bone . Good luck , there are a lot of bear in both areas .

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
Thanks for the input! I currently don't have any Spring Bear points so that is why I'm not putting in for it, although it couldn't hurt but one and try! @justyhntr thank you very much for the tips and info, that was very informative and helps a lot to start looking for areas and gives me some more confidence about hunting them on Hancock! And of course I wasn't looking for your guys specific spot just looking to acquire knowledge of what to look for! But that is very kind of you to say if they change things up you would, that is very appreciated! But just from what you've told me I've already got some locations in mind to start scouting over summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw