collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elkwoods Scouting, 2017  (Read 4710 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Elkwoods Scouting, 2017
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
Scouting your fall elk hunt location comes in many different forms. What are your plans to maximize your opportunities at your planned hunting destination over the next 6-7 months?
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Elkwoods Scouting, 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Thanks to Midway USA, I will be dotting the saddle and slopes I haunt with cameras. :chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »
As soon as the snow melts my family and I start hiking into the elk woods. We like to do day hikes and some overnight backpack trips into the wilderness areas.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
Some of my trail cams already up. Gonna set the rest up when the snow melts. Also gonna check the three that I left up since hunting season. Never done that before. But wanted to try it. Then I plan on spending time researching maps and going into the areas and marking the spots I think will be productive. Depends on why the cams show for activity.

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
Trail cams and hikes is my big plan.  Only a couple years into this elk pursuit but enjoying the new challenge.  Questions for you guys - if I'm out scouting while on a hunt any huge issue with having my dog along with me?  Great to get him the exercise and anytime we have come across actual elk he doesn't bolt or chase them.  Birds he has no mercy with but if we bump elk or deer while moving around he is OK.  I'm just concerned about scaring animals out of an area.  I figured as the season gets closer and I'm doing some final scouting in August I'd probably stop bringing him along.

Thanks for any input

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
Trail cams and hikes is my big plan.  Only a couple years into this elk pursuit but enjoying the new challenge.  Questions for you guys - if I'm out scouting while on a hunt any huge issue with having my dog along with me?  Great to get him the exercise and anytime we have come across actual elk he doesn't bolt or chase them.  Birds he has no mercy with but if we bump elk or deer while moving around he is OK.  I'm just concerned about scaring animals out of an area.  I figured as the season gets closer and I'm doing some final scouting in August I'd probably stop bringing him along.

I'm not sure on that one. To me I don't see anything wrong with having a dog while grouse hunting and scouting. I think it's only during a big game season that I wouldn't be caught out in woods with a rifle and dog at same time.

Thanks for any input

Offline Browndawg

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
I will take the family camping near my elk woods Memorial Day weekend and set up cameras. Hoping to find a good spot to hang my new ladder stand. Seems like most people who hunt this area are pretty successful out of them. This will be my 2nd year hunting the area.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
Some of my trail cams already up. Gonna set the rest up when the snow melts. Also gonna check the three that I left up since hunting season. Never done that before. But wanted to try it. Then I plan on spending time researching maps and going into the areas and marking the spots I think will be productive. Depends on why the cams show for activity.

I still have two cameras out, but had 3.  I hiked all day through knee deep snow to get it at the end of November, and some POS had broken open my lockbox and stolen it!   :bash:   :bash:   :bash:  I had checked it on October 12th, and I'm sure there was some fantastic pictures on it.  Now I am suffering from anxiety about my other two that haven't been checked since mid-September.   :yike:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »

I still have two cameras out, but had 3.  I hiked all day through knee deep snow to get it at the end of November, and some POS had broken open my lockbox and stolen it!   :bash:   :bash:   :bash:  I had checked it on October 12th, and I'm sure there was some fantastic pictures on it.  Now I am suffering from anxiety about my other two that haven't been checked since mid-September.   :yike:

Sorry to hear that. Can't stand a theif. Sounds like you need some snowshoes and hike back in there and check on them. I've done my far share of post holing through snow. Money well spent on snowshoes.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Can't stand a theif. Sounds like you need some snowshoes and hike back in there and check on them. I've done my far share of post holing through snow. Money well spent on snowshoes.

I have snowshoes, but where my other two cameras are it would be a 3-day trip this time of year.  I probably won't be able to get in there until July. 

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I plan on setting up a few spike camps this summer.
Clear a few areas for my new spike out tent, cut a little wood and have it stacked.
Hopefully have enough time to cut a few "Sneaker Trails" to facilitate quiet movement through some promising areas.
We will try to have them at various elevations so we have options for rifle season depending on weather.
If I can visit three small areas twice each this summer I'm golden.
It will probably only be once each (1 night stay) due to time constraints.
Good Luck to all of you!
Rob.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 10:10:52 AM »

Thanks for any input

I'd love to hear the more experienced folks' responses to this, but I've taken my dogs with me scouting quite a few times, and they're not exactly calm.  I tend to stick to established trails and rely on my glass though; I would feel pretty bad about my pups trampling over bedding areas, etc.

That said, I had my dogs with me on Mestachee Creek Trail off 410 last fall (three weeks before elk opener) and had a bull bugle at us from less than 100 yds away, so that bull in particular didn't seem to mind the (very loud) presence of a human, a 7-yr-old dog and a 5-month-old pup. 

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
My dogs love being in the woods, but I use to leave them home when checking cameras. I then got a picture of a coyote peeing on my mineral block 5 minutes prior to a group of elk coming in to lick on it. After that I started taking the dogs every now and then. Hasn't seemed to have any negative effect.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
I have done both with and without dogs.  My personal feeling is that it didn't matter at all prior to the current wolf densities, but I've noticed that nowadays elk absolutely blow out of the area when they see my dog coming.  Even black bears turn tail in panic.  However, they are usually right back on Camera in the next day or two.  I wouldn't be too concerned unless it is getting close to season.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
So this year, my September is insane with two weddings to attend. Luckily I'm free from 9/12-9/20. My brother and i and a friend hired an outfitter this year for a drop camp. No time for scouting this year so we're all super stoked to get out! I will probably make a few weekend scouting trips to another wilderness area I'm wanting to revisit for some elk hunting after looking at it on google earth.  Next year we'll be back to DIY no outfitter ...
     So for myself, getting in better shape and shooting my bow is priority..
   On a side note, I usually take my dog scouting with me mid summer.. We don't scare anything away and he'd never leave my side so I never worry about it.. Come hunting season though he stays home with mom..
   Good luck to everyone out there this year! Be safe!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]