collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougars good or bad for the Cleman Mtn sheep herd?  (Read 9183 times)

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cougars good or bad for the Cleman Mtn sheep herd?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
That unit met objectives on Jan 17 and is now closed. Dinner is served..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »

:tup:
Really wish Washington would hand out additional cougar tags.

Offline str8meat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
the average age of cougars in yakima county that have been harvested in the past 3 years is 22-24 month. so the quota is being filled by the juveniles while the adults resume their ways. youth cougars are being killed because they are being kicked out of their parents territories. hence why they are easily killed along roads and near towns. they are looking for food so when the sheep come down on mt. clemens yes your correct dinner is served. another mismanagement practice of the bios at the department of fish and wildlife.
watch yer top knot

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

[/quote.

Wow 5 dead sheep and units closed to protect lions? Thanks for the info cougar tail  beating a dead horse but Washington needs to quit protecting predators get em next year yakimanoob

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »

[/quote.

Wow 5 dead sheep and units closed to protect lions? Thanks for the info cougar tail  beating a dead horse but Washington needs to quit protecting predators get em next year yakimanoob

WDFW will never stop protecting predators.  :bash:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
Predators hunt to eat.  We hunt to eat.  It's been going on since the beginning of time.  Like the bio said, that area is pushing max capacity so it's not a huge travesty if a few become dinner.  You've got sheep up there dying of old age.  I'm by no means a predator lover but it's all part of the balance.  Carps area is just nuts down there though.  Where I used to see hundreds of deer during spring turkey I now see just a handful.  Cat sightings annually. 

Honestly why is there even a quota on cougars though?  Can't bait, can't run em with hounds.  Does fur and fins really think the fox pro masses are gonna even put a dent in their numbers :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
You are right Washington state needs to bring back hounds that's the issue huntwa should get together on. I think a lot of the cats we treed this year in Idaho were just overflow coming out of Washington caught a lot more in Idaho close to the border in Idaho and less the closer to the middle of the panhandle.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
You are right Washington state needs to bring back hounds that's the issue huntwa should get together on. I think a lot of the cats we treed this year in Idaho were just overflow coming out of Washington caught a lot more in Idaho close to the border in Idaho and less the closer to the middle of the panhandle.

You have my vote.  :tup:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »

You have my vote.  :tup:

M :tup:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
I actually like mountain lions and regularly let females small toms go in Idaho where cats are hunted to death so I am not against lions at all. Washington is just completely over run with them and every other predator you need hounds back! I think that is the one thing hunt wa could get behind as a group to help your deer and elk

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »
I actually like mountain lions and regularly let females small toms go in Idaho where cats are hunted to death so I am not against lions at all. Washington is just completely over run with them and every other predator you need hounds back! I think that is the one thing hunt wa could get behind as a group to help your deer and elk

Couldn't agree more. If people were to run cats or bears with dogs or use baits. You could let the younger predators/females. You could actually take a big Tom or big bore. The elk/deer would strive back to the population it was 25+ years.
  Just my  :twocents:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »

Couldn't agree more. If people were to run cats or bears with dogs or use baits. You could let the younger predators/females. You could actually take a big Tom or big bore. The elk/deer would strive back to the population it was 25+ years.

:tup:you could be the guy to push for hound hunting I think this forum could be the place hunters come together to get houndoggers back controlling predators the right way. I will have your back on this but being a non resident makes my voice less important I think. I read posts all the time complaining about the predator pit in Washington and I totally agree but hunt wa needs to take a stand TOGETHER and hounds would be the best first step bring back hounds! And include Idaho guys ha ha

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »
I know the guy who watched this one get killed by a cougar. He is still up there in one of my favorite draws. Horns rotting away.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
I know the guy who watched this one get killed by a cougar. He is still up there in one of my favorite draws. Horns rotting away.

Too bad you have to leave the horns to rot wonder why wdfw thinks lions aren't a problem seems like lots of evidence to the contrary

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »

:tup:you could be the guy to push for hound hunting I think this forum could be the place hunters come together to get houndoggers back controlling predators the right way. I will have your back on this but being a non resident makes my voice less important I think. I read posts all the time complaining about the predator pit in Washington and I totally agree but hunt wa needs to take a stand TOGETHER and hounds would be the best first step bring back hounds! And include Idaho guys ha ha

Started a poll in virtual board. See if it's even possible/worth the time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal