collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will extreme winter affect spring bear?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline IBspoiled

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Will extreme winter affect spring bear?
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:38:48 AM »
For starters I have never drawn the tag,but I have several points built up. I"m trying to draw a tag for the south east washington area and wondered if weather will affect access or timing of the hunt if I get lucky and draw a tag.Should I put in for points or go for it?

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Will extreme winter affect spring bear?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:16 AM »
Probably more east side than west.  I think a bigger factor might be how fast spring gets here and gets the fresh greens up.

Online go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
I have drawn three times in the south east. Two times where normal winters and I got a nice bore each time. One of which in mid may I had to hike over a big ridge to get in,  because I could not drive there. The third time was a heavy snow year. (But not  nearly as bad as this) I went up the last 3 days of season and was not able to get with in 7 or 8 miles of the unit due to snow.
The bears will be out! It's just weather you can get the. The units with the best early access have the worst draw odds. That is where I would put in if you are set on applying this year.
Hope this helps
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
If you are talking the Wenaha yes it will make it tough to get in there. Access for much of the season will be from the Oregon side which is a long steep hike in there. From my experience most people do that hike once and go home or get down in there and don''t hike much farther into the unit so tag holders are bunched up in the same areas. You will be lucky to get up on Skyline and Godman country by June this year I'm guessing. Do your research and be realistic with what you can and will give to the tag/hunt. Plenty of hard core guys and locals over there who would love to have the tag and will give it the time it takes to have a good hunt. Dayton and Tucannon will be the first to open up and have the most access and easier country to hunt but tough draw odds. Last year was a way lighter snow year and Memorial weekend was about the soonest you could get on upper roads and still alot of snow in trees. I was six miles from my truck when I killed my bear and had hunted eight days and logged two trips across the state total....Fun hunt? yes, easy hunt? far from it...

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Thanx for the reply's this helps a lot, I'm thinking just puting in for points this year but then I'm thinking lots of snow will keep people away and I'll be more likely to have the place to myself :tup:

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »
Thanx for the reply's this helps a lot, I'm thinking just puting in for points this year but then I'm thinking lots of snow will keep people away and I'll be more likely to have the place to myself :tup:

I've been in there 3 seasons in a row and haven't seen another spring bear hunter.

That being said, I caution anyone putting in for the Wenaha to please make a trip there first. It's big, tough country often requiring shots in excess of 500 yards.

Many people who draw the Wenaha never hunt it, or as stated previously do one hike and go home.

Tucannon would probably be a safer bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]