collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SB 5795 - More backdoor gun control  (Read 7280 times)

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
SB 5795 - More backdoor gun control
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
 SB 5795 - 2017-18
Concerning liability insurance requirements for firearm owners and purchasers.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5795&Year=2017

Go here and comment:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill//5795

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: SB 5795 - More backdoor gun control
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
Done!
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
Lovely.  Hopefully this never makes it out of committee. 

And, as always they exempt government agencies from having to follow the rules for the proles. 

(4) For the purposes of this section, "qualified liability insurance policy" means, with respect to the purchaser of a firearm, a policy that:
(a) Provides liability insurance covering the purchaser specifically for losses resulting from use of the firearm while it is owned by the purchaser; and
(b) Is issued by an insurer licensed or authorized by the office of the insurance commissioner to provide the coverage.

So, at least in theory, if this bill passes all they have do to criminalize every gun owner in the state is make it impossible to get the insurance by having the insurance commissioner deny any insurer authorization to provide the coverage.  Or, by setting the standards for that insurance so high that it makes it impossible for all but the wealthiest to afford the coverage.  Imagine if premiums for the cheapest policy that met the requirements of this bill were $10k per year.

You can so easily see their strategy:  Get this through and get the vast majority of gun owners to comply by making it super cheap to start with.  Then, have WDFW check for insurance on all hunter contacts, and have a cop stationed at shooting ranges to check insurance.  Won't take long and 90% or more of us will feel compelled to buy that coverage.  And since it'll start out at probably $50/year or something it's almost not noticeable ($4-5/month).  Then rates start to go up.  Then anyone that lets it lapse gets charged unless they prove they sold all of their guns.  Pretty soon it's approaching $50/month rather than per year.  Especially once a kid that got shot by a stolen gun or something gets a $10mil award.  As people start selling off their guns to reduce that cost the pool becomes smaller, causing rates to go up more.  Before you know it you're paying more for insurance to keep that 12ga for home defense, or that deer rifle, than you are for your 2 cars put together.

Might take 10 or 20 or more years to get to that point, but that's what they're after.  They don't give a rip about the people that are hurt that are being used to justify this.  They want the control, and this is just their latest ploy to get it.

ETA: Submitted my comment in opposition.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:01:49 PM by sumpnz »

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
Thank you, this is a new one to me.  I replied.  This State is literally killing me.

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
done, keep'em coming
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »
 :yike:
OMFG back door anti modern season hunting bans this is. For those that don't want to or wouldn't do this Bow hunting will become their pastime because even if it's not now, if your caught out in the field hunting with a firearm with no Ins. kiss it goodbye, and now you'd probably face criminal charges so goodbye to all your other firearms you may have, and then you'd for sure have to.  :bash: :yike:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
This is so stupid.

Liberals can't admit to themselves that most "gun crime" (a euphemism) doesn't involve typical gun owners or even Washington state.

This is why gun insurance would never work as intended and is not analogous to auto insurance. Accidents happen to everyone but some counties have NEVER had a gun related homicide.

If left to the private market this type of insurance would be a pointless hassle. The insurance companies would happily sell you a policy to pay out damages in the event that your 3006 hunting rifle is used in a homicide because the odds of this are nil. The Democrat monopoly cities where "gun crime" is a major financial burden would not be affected as gangs are not going to sign up for insurance.

But even worse is that liberals would eventually realize how poorly thought out this idea is after it fails in the private market and then demand that the government come in and equalize everything which means redistribution.

I for one am sick of our state being used as a petri dish for liberal ideas. I suspect a big part of the problem is that we have too many Ex-Californians. Much of their state is a mess and now they are escaping to ruin ours.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
I heard the other day about this one & not sure about this part, there are no insurance co's selling this type anywhere in the country?
I have Man Chit to do

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: if this happens I am trading my rifle for a camera, this state can  :pee: off !! Someday I am out of this liberal rotting dung hole of a state, the liberals can have it!!! I hope someday they get to reap what they sow !!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
Done. I replied that if the state Congress needs to pass effective gun control legislation, they should require the AG and the County DAs to arrest and prosecute felons who attempt to buy firearms through the background check system. Over 90% in Pierce and King COs are not pursued. Ridiculous that they want new gun control when they can't enforce existing laws.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
Done. I replied that if the state Congress needs to pass effective gun control legislation, they should require the AG and the County DAs to arrest and prosecute felons who attempt to buy firearms through the background check system. Over 90% in Pierce and King COs are not pursued. Ridiculous that they want new gun control when they can't enforce existing laws.

Quote from: Atlas Shrugged
Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »

But being this state is so liberal,they'd find it as discrimination and have to come up with some new law that they can't prosecute them for trying. Sarcasm off. :yike: :bash:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
Wonder who's going to enforce all these new laws. I know the WAPCS is deeply concerned about these attempts to criminalize law abiding citizens and will very likely refuse to have their people investigate perceived violations.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
Sort of off topic but doesn't the NRA offer some sort of insurance as part of their membership?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
Sort of off topic but doesn't the NRA offer some sort of insurance as part of their membership?
If I remember correctly a life member will be represented in court  if a firearm is used to protect ones self.

There are other organisations that do the same thing.

I would bet that what they are after is liability insurance. Some one has an accident or you whack some one... how they gona fine or sue you?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw