collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recurve suggestions  (Read 7056 times)

Offline LeviD1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
Recurve suggestions
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:23 AM »
So for the past couple years I have been wanting to buy a traditional bow. I am thinking a recurve since I like how it is not quite as long as a long bow. As far as traditional bow knowledge I possess it is slim to none. I want to buy a bow that I will be able to hunt with once I am comfortable with it. I don't want to buy a "beginner" bow that I will want to replace in a year. But buy a good bow I can learn with and use for years. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the higher end bows are around $400ish. I don't know how draw length differs shooting traditional but my draw length with a compound is 29". I'm thinking of a recurve with a 60 lb draw as I shoot 70 lbs on my compound all day. I am looking for any suggestions as to what bows I should check out and consider with this criteria. I'm left handed as well if that matters at all with availability. Thank you.

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Recurve suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
You can find new and used Recurves on ebay in that price range.   A new or used Bear would be good.
I see them listed on here from time to time. New Recurves can easily go from $1,000.and up.
 You might want to try pulling 60# to anchor first to see how it feels.
I'm not sure.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
Start with one in the 40 lb range at the beginning for working on form and consistency. Then pick up your heavier bow later for hunting.
If you can find copies of these http://www.3riversarchery.com/masters-of-the-barebow-complete-dvd-set.html   they are well worth the watch.
I have a set, but they are loaned out right now or i'd send them your way.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »
Where are you located?
I think a Samic Sage is a great bow for the $. An aluminium riser will make for bow that shoots better. Check out Archery Talk you may be able to find a good deal on a LH bow there.

I shoot a 60lb compound and own a 45lb Samic Sage. 45lbs is about perfect for being light enough to develope good form but strong enough to shoot well.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
your draw length will likely be shorter with a recurve.  as stated, start low and work up.  pick a bow with a longer OAL, something in the 60-66" range?  I have a short IMF Wing 40 pound bow i bought for $50 and while it shoots fine, it's very twitchy.  the longer recurves i have don't have that problem.  I would suggest a takedown, and get a low pound set of limbs (30-ish pounds) to start.  You'll need to shoot A LOT to get consistent and the lighter limbs will allow you to shoot more.  Then get a heavier set for when you feel comfortable and want to hunt.  but you'll have to practice A LOT with your heavy limbs, too.  Can't just screw them on and go hunting without lots of practice.  trad archery is a whole different ballgame from compound!  If you can, find a riser with ILF limb pockets.  Opens up a whole big world to what limbs you buy.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
Shooting a lot and practicing won't be a problem. I shoot my compound a ton already. I have been Archery hunting for 12 years now. Just ready for the next challenge. Thanks for all your suggestions. I like the idea of the removable limbs. But honestly I really don't think I'll have a problem shooting in that 55-60 lb range. I work on my bow muscles often not just by shooting a lot.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
Take a look at the tradtech risers.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the trad tech info. Those look pretty sweet. Definitely gonna keep those in mind.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the trad tech info. Those look pretty sweet. Definitely gonna keep those in mind.

I have not got into archery yet, but I like the recommended idea of being able to learn with lightweight limbs and moving up.  They are just a bit out of my budget right now.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
 :) I have been looking at Sage recurves, they are take down, very well rated, the limbs are changeable to other weights. Bow is around $150.00, extra limbs about $50.00 per set. It was explained to me  :dunno: that the draw weight is based on 28 inch for all recurves, if you pull more you will have more power. Sage is all set up for sights, reels etc. The one I looked at is 62 inch. They are aluminum risers I think. Think I might get one.
Carl

http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/best-samick-sports-recurve-bows-reviews-accessories/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:02:38 PM by Bofire »
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
The thing that got me on those sage bows is that it said it's a Korean company. I would much rather buy an American made bow. Just a preference.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
Most of thier risers are wood. The Samic Sage is for sure
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
I did not see they were Korean. now I have doubt also
Carl

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
the koreans are HARD CORE trad archers!  :tup:  WIN & WIN, Samik, and several other companies are Korean based.  They make a great product.  And LeviD1, I know you said you'd be fine shooting with heavier limbs, but the lighter limbs will allow you to work on your form and release without fatigue, and form and release have to be mastered.  I'd encourage you to not poo-poo lighter limbs  :tup:  they'll make you a better archer!

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
 Risers are apparently many materials?? I really like being able to get different limbs

http://www.samicksports.com/

Carl

I do not shop at Amazon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal