collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Packing with a purpose  (Read 8469 times)

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Packing with a purpose
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
Was listening to a podcast and the guy was talking about packing your pack with a purpose.
The one thing that I never thought about was he said most people put their first aid kit in their pack but it gets buried. I never really thought about it. I have one but it gets buried.
He was saying it should be easy to get to,In hands reach.  Because you never know what happens that maybe you are in a situation you can't get your pack off or etc.
Which would lead me to believe a belt pocket .
If I was to put it in my belt pouch. I would need to shrink the size of what I carry. So what would you say is absolutely imperative to have in case of that first aid emergency,
That would fit in a pocket on my pack belt?
If its brown knock it down

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
Re: Packing with a purpose
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
What about stashing it in a side water bottle pocket? Easy enough access still. Or you could keep some basic necessities in the waist belt pocket.

Everyone's first aid will vary depending on their knowledge of what to do and how to use the contents. For the most part, many of us would probably do gauze, some sort of medical grade tape, a few asprin, and a bandage or two.

In reality, probably the only thin you would need quickly though I imagine for first aid would be your belt to apply pressure to stop bleeding. Anything else seems to severe for what a waist belt first aid kit could provide I would think.

Offline GHETTO GUIDE

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
Not a bad idea at first.  Then i thought about it. What kind of injuries might we encounter? Cuts, scrapes, sprains , strains are the most common.  Falls and fractures less common.  Complete hemorrhage not likely unless your taking fire. Unless you fall off a cliff i cant think of a time where you couldnt get your pack off.

Treatment as mentioned earlier would most likely be simple bandages.  In the event of an arterial lac quick pressure and tourniquet. Both of these would not be in my kit for first line treatment.  Meaning my kit would come second.  One handed opps possibly but still manageable. 

Fractures and bone stabilization would be done with a combination of items not in my   Tape, paracord etc..

Summary. The kit is important to me as well but not enough to pack it on my belt. Frontal pouch possibly. 

Have a treatment  plan on some different scenarios... thats the best plan.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I don’t give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. "Mark Twain"

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
I keep mine in a specific pocket in my pack and that never changes, I haven't used it much but it's reassuring knowing exactly where it is all the time.  I cant think of too many situations that I couldn't get to my pack to grab it.  My belt pockets are usually where I keep a knife and my calls.

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:52:15 PM »
Always was at the top or side belt of the pack. Usually super glue, a few different pills, tape

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »
I keep my small first aid kit in the lid of my exo.
Lid is reserved for small light items I might need often, or dont want to get lost in the main pack like my first aid kit, head lamp, snacks, small tools.
Main compartment has the things like extra clothes, kill kit, etc.

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:20 AM »
Someone's watching to much T.V.
Maybe we should all practice opening the asparin bottle in the dark.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
Someone's watching to much T.V.
Maybe we should all practice opening the asparin bottle in the dark.

Because they smartly pack their gear?
Wow.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
Packing with a purpose is fine, but you shouldn't pack for your fears.

It's a great thought though for other reasons. I keep my lunch and snacks in a waist belt pocket so that I can snack without taking my pack off. Same with headlamp and cell phone (gps and camera).

But as far as a lightweight first aid kit. IMO Leukotape, IBP, Benadryl, Epi (if needed), and a small pack of quick clot is as extensive as I would go.

Sometimes some Claritin or Tylenol PM, but just pills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
Mines buried but in the event of an emergency I cant imagine having that slow me down...undo lid...dump pack...grab what I need  :dunno: and if that takes too long I'm probably a goner any how

We can't plan for all the what if situations out there, just gotta get comfortable with that....

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:40 AM »
Mines buried but in the event of an emergency I cant imagine having that slow me down...undo lid...dump pack...grab what I need  :dunno: and if that takes too long I'm probably a goner any how

We can't plan for all the what if situations out there, just gotta get comfortable with that....
That's how I used to think before I did a lot of ruck hikes. I started to pack smarter and tighter and it made things easier. The negatives with dumping your pack like that is you have to pack it all back up, if the ground is wet, your stuff is wet now. Besides being a goner. I would hate to have wet gear.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
It's easy enough to pack smartly. I'd rather pack logically and have the stuff I need regularly or in the event of an emergency readily available. Kind of like packing your lunch at the bottom of your pack. You'd have to empty your pack to get to it, and it would be squished.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
My first aid kit is at the bottom of my pack and will stay there. Now my Pack has a zipper on the main bag down there if needed. However, like @Kentrek said, if that 10 seconds is the difference between life and death, my SABC is not going to be adequate to save my life or anybody else.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
I'm not overly paranoid or worried about an injury, but I still keep my small first aid kit convenient in one of my outside pockets. The few times I have needed it (moleskin, Aleve, tape for a leak) it would have been a pain to unpack everything, keeping it handy makes much more sense to me. I don't need to keep it on my hip belt, but keeping it in the bottom of my pack seems the same as keeping my extra ammo in the same place and I've needed my extra ammo about as much as my first aid kit.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
Maybe I'm alone on this but the last thing on my mind in an emergency situation that's life or death, and seconds matter, is if some of my gear gets wet....and I'm a anti wet nazi.....my main bag is a 35 litter dry sack....in side I keep my "possibles" inside another 2 liter dry sack thats bright red....then my clothes inside a sea to summit water proof compression sack that's blue.....then food&water gos into the guide lid along with small knife,headlight or cell..knives/game bags/rope all in the very bottom of the main bag

Ive found color coding very helpful

Who knows maybe when i actually do some ruck hikes il change my ways.....but I doubt it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:06:37 PM by kentrek »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt