collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Summer Scouting Tips  (Read 2548 times)

Offline dgriffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Summer Scouting Tips
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Hey All,

Been following along off and on.  Going into my second year hunting elk.  Last year was a blast (nothing harvested) but had a great time hiking, learning, etc.  Looking for some advice to give myself the best odds this year. 

Spent last year in a pretty hot unit in Western Washington (modern season), elk sign everywhere (fresh), and was out from before light to dark.  Didn't see a damn thing except for on the final day (spike and a few cows).  Clearly elk around not only because of sign but hearing shots from other hunters.  Looking for any valuable advice on what I should be looking for during summer scouting sessions and how to transfer that over to hunting season to be able to locate bulls.

Anything for a newb would be appreciated and welcomed!

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
Re: Summer Scouting Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »
You up north or down south on west side? You only do modern or are you capable of going to a different weapon?

Offline dgriffin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
Elkcollector - Down south (but I actually live just east of Seattle) it was just a place my buddy and I had researched quite a bit but didn't hit the dirt hard last summer.

Right now focus is modern.  Have a buddy dying for me to get into archery which I may consider down the road.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »
I am a bow hunter. But all I can say is look at google earth find some areas and start putting out trail cams. Go and scout around. Herds down here tend to be local herds. So once you find a herd it's just a matter of picking the right canyon they will be in. Elk around here tend to dig in deep once rifle deer season starts. So it's just plain old pounding the ground and hoping for the best. What gmu are you interested in hunting?

Offline dgriffin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:18:16 AM »
GMU 681

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 05:40:05 AM »
GMU 681

Yea. That's tough area to leave a trail cam for long periods of time. Safe one week, clear cutted the next.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
I hunted that unit hard the last few years... There's elk in there, but like mentioned, you find a good spot and next year it's clear cut and sprayed. Void of any life at that point.. I give up for awhile on the westside! I've decided to get back in the wilderness action. The coast is so dang crowded I can't stand it! At least in the wilderness I can go where no one else dares, but on the coast there's another logging road a quarter mile in any direction you go. Just no escaping people..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal