Author Topic: Pears  (Read 5906 times)

Offline -Trap_addicT-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr
  • Groups: NWSC, WSTA
Pears
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
I'm sure this subject has been discussed on here, but I can't seem to find a thread where it was.  Deer/elk obviously eat pears,  but has anyone noticed that they favor them over apples, and/or other fruits? I have multiple friends that have pear trees (most of which I believe are Barlett Trees) and have no use for the fruit. Looking ahead to this fall/winter… Is it worth my time to gather and preserve these for hunting season or winter feeding?  I know bears will be a pain in the rear if I'm not careful where I put them…Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:14:32 AM by -Trap_addicT- »
The mountains are calling, I must go.

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
Re: Pears
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
I'm sure this subject has been discussed on here, but I can't seem to find a thread where it was.  Deer obviously eat pears,  but has anyone noticed that they favor them over apples, and/or other fruits? I have multiple friends that have pear trees (most of which I believe are Barlett Trees) and have no use for the fruit. Looking ahead to this fall/winter… Is it worth my time to gather and preserve these for hunting season or winter feeding?  I know bears will be a pain in the rear if I'm not careful where I put them…Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
It would take a lot of pears to actually make it through the winter. How many pears are you talking. 100 pounds, or a ton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline -Trap_addicT-

• Hunter
    • http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr
  • Groups: NWSC, WSTA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Closer to 1 ton… Couple pick up loads at least.  I have access to as much as I need, just depends on the value of them. I just hate seeing them go to waste and I know that every deer in my county lives off of apples through hunting season due to the convenience of finding/acquiring them.
The mountains are calling, I must go.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:18:49 AM »
I have used pears before and even had pictures of coyotes eating them.  :tup:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:21:42 AM »
My yard deer always clean up my pear tree before the go to the apple tree.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
I put out a bunch that were still hard, unripe.  Deer at my place wouldn't touch them until they finally softened up and then ate them just fine.  Mostly mule deer coming in so I don't know how the whitetails or blacktails would do.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:29:31 AM »
Be careful of what you start. I started feeding a 1/2 ton of apples for winter feeding a few years ago. I am up to 4 tons of apples , 3 tons of lentils , 2 1/2 tons alfalfa ,  and 7 tons of various grains ( corn-sweet feed-etc.) so far this winter. Can't stop right now but I'll scale back next year. It's been a crazy winter. And by the way , they love pears--just not green.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
My yard deer always clean up my pear tree before the go to the apple tree.  :twocents:

:yeah: mine to!

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
An old farmstead had both an apple and pear tree in it where I used to hunt. The deer definitely preferred the pears to the apples and stop showing up when a beaver chewed down the pear tree. Stupid beaver.... :bash:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
I have a Seckel pear, commonly referred to as sugar pear in my front yard.  Generally produces a good crop each year, but last year was absolutely loaded.  Starting dropping and the neighborhood blacktail does and fawns ate some.  After having a solid covering on the ground and thinking I have a mess to clean up, the deer ate every one of them over the next couple weeks.  Just when they actually began to over ripen they stayed on them until gone.  Didn't have to clean up a single one.  Picture of one doe with twin fawns (second fawn directly behind first one right side under tree with rear showing) on pears before they literally covered the ground.  Had another doe with triplets working them as well.  Be planting some Seckel pears on the property this spring.  Second picture of the tree in full bloom last April.  Nice thing is they are self fertile. :tup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:46:13 AM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Be careful of what you start. I started feeding a 1/2 ton of apples for winter feeding a few years ago. I am up to 4 tons of apples , 3 tons of lentils , 2 1/2 tons alfalfa ,  and 7 tons of various grains ( corn-sweet feed-etc.) so far this winter. Can't stop right now but I'll scale back next year. It's been a crazy winter. And by the way , they love pears--just not green.
Have the elk come into your place yet?  Never had them come into my feeder until this year.  Was over last weekend and still pretty rough.  2' still at my place with drifts around over 4'.  Not sure the early turkey hunters won't need white camo if it doesn't warm up soon.

Offline TrailTreker85

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
Bring me a truck load and will try them out for you  :chuckle:. This year I did use quite a bit of pears and they always seemed to be the first things gone.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Have the elk come into your place yet?  Never had them come into my feeder until this year.  Was over last weekend and still pretty rough.  2' still at my place with drifts around over 4'.  Not sure the early turkey hunters won't need white camo if it doesn't warm up soon.

Saw a lone cow elk just in front of your place by the highway on Sat. Talked to one guy at the feed store that is feeding 21 moose .
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
As mentioned, the deer do seem to like ripe pears.

I'd like to do a bunch of pear cider/wine next year if you need a place for some of them to go. Dried pears are really good as well.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
As mentioned, the deer do seem to like ripe pears.

I'd like to do a bunch of pear cider/wine next year if you need a place for some of them to go. Dried pears are really good as well.

I know where there are a couple wild pear trees and I dehydrate some every year. Soak in orange juice & honey then dehydrate....Yummy. Goes real good with merganser breast :hello:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]