collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 30 years and done.  (Read 7898 times)

Offline hdshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
30 years and done.
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
After starting hunting in the 4th grade 30 years ago hunting mainly duck and goose I'm retiring from all hunting for now.  With a hunting friend going through some good changes I don't see our schedules for hunting matching up anymore.  If he can go I will leave the ammo and just take the camo because it is fun but time to move on.  Good luck, kill them all so I don't have to think about hunting anymore. :chuckle:         
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: 30 years and done.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
Well there's always football and fishing......  time to take up trail cams and get outdoors.  Change is good just don't let the recliner get to firm a grip on you  :chuckle:

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Well there's always football and fishing......  time to take up trail cams and get outdoors.  Change is good just don't let the recliner get to firm a grip on you  :chuckle:

Since I got into my 401 several years ago I'm finding myself getting more involved researching and buying stocks, etf's, and mutual funds.  Got me thinking how much invested in feathers instead of markets over the time.  Could of spent the money then on google as one example instead of hunting, could of had land for all the outdoors today.  Oh well, maybe someday the investments will let me retire from work on time.   

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
You did it right - don't save it all for retirement when you and your kids and buddies no longer have the health and energy to enjoy the outdoors.  Believe me there are guys laying in care beds all over regretting they didnt spend the time and money to enjoy life when they could.   :tup:

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
:yeah:

Save your 15% diligently.  Or even 10%.  Invest it prudently and watch it grow.  Whatever else you have left after giving, paying bills and other necessities is there to enjoy.  You work hard and should feel no regrets over spending that extra money on fun things and activities.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
save prudently your whole life, scrimping and saving for a awesome retirement. die when your 59. wasted life.

live your life awesome, while still dumping enough to retire comfortably is my goal, and what I have been doing. at the end of the day, it is most definitely not about the almighty dollar.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
America is changing so fast right now and I have experienced why a portfolio is so important.  I was happy with my job paying bills hunting and all that, but technology is changing my work so fast it is making our heads spin. The people who made some small investments 20 years ago are going to be ok but the ones who didn't like me could be in trouble because we are still living. My  :twocents: to family and friends is to make sure they tell their kids to build a portfolio early in their careers these days before trucks and all that other stuff because making a living is going to be how well their investments do later in life.

Anyways got off the subject just responding many other ways to stay off the couch and keep your head in the hunt.     

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:06 PM »
I'd rather die poor in the duck blind than rich in front of the computer.  I will say that I was a saver even if when I didn't make much.  As a truck drive and later as a warehouse worked I paid off my home and put some away to enjoy the past eight years of retirement and never missed a duck season in the past 60 years except the year I was in Vietnam.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
I have 34 years in of hunting and no plans on retiring from it anytime soon.  When I can no longer walk, I will have the grandchildren bring me loafs of bread so I can bait in the tweedy birds and have my pellet gun by myside.  It's not a job, it's a way of life and lifetime passion for me.  :tup:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
To each their own. Investing at anytime is okay. But, starting young is what everyone is saying now. I wish I would have saved more a few years back. I maybe somewhat young but, I can say my portfolio could be a lot stronger instead of buying more/going out than I needed.

Offline cooltimber

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »
 :twocents: pay yourself 1st. put it away every paycheck..forget about it.One thing I did is that I didn't look till tax time..
now I have a small home on maui and one on the mainland..
hunt 3 states.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:37:13 PM »
:twocents: pay yourself 1st. put it away every paycheck..forget about it.One thing I did is that I didn't look till tax time..
now I have a small home on maui and one on the mainland..
hunt 3 states.
Nice, I'll try to emulate for the future.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
I believe you guys missed it. Basically I have no one to hunt with but still have to use my mind. What would you guys do in my shoes or do you see me as a failure?

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
I believe you guys missed it. Basically I have no one to hunt with but still have to use my mind. What would you guys do in my shoes or do you see me as a failure?

I'd hunt solo.  Or make new friends to hunt with.

You're not a failure, unless you chose to define it that way.  Hunting is a big time and money suck.  We all have to make decisions on how we're going to spend both.  Choosing to spend your time/money on something is just a choice.  Nothing inherently wrong with spending that on something other than hunting, as long as you won't spend the next 30 years regretting that decision.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »

I enjoy hunting with others and my kids soon, but typically hunt for myself, by myself. I work harder so I can hunt more, I'm a part-time guide so I make extra money to hunt by hunting, win win! I figure by the time I am stove up and no longer able to hunt the way I want I will figure out something else to do or maybe just die. I would rather enjoy life while I am able as opposed to wasting my time making sure I have $$$ to count in my wheelchair or give to hospitals. I remember my technology teacher teaching us about compound interest as a freshman and building a program on an Apple II, pretty impressive stuff but not what I want predicate my life on. I bet there were a lot of people that lost their ass in the last crash that wished they had spent time hunting vs. minding their portfolio :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]