collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho 2015 record mule deer poached  (Read 19082 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Idaho 2015 record mule deer poached
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »
Yeah I agree 100% with that Ryan Hatfield quote as well. The funny thing is if the same scenario happened but it was a doe, or a young little buck, they never would have been caught and most people wouldn't even care. But it's a record book buck so everyone's in an uproar over it.

That is true, but my take on it is:  These monster bucks are not unknown.  In fact a lot more people know about them than people would think.  They just don't go running their mouth about them to every Tom, Dick & Harry.  Here is another example of the wheels coming off one on one of these glory and fame seekers:  https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/breaking-story-230-inch-mule-deer-buck-poached-in-wyoming#gs.e55AhtQ

I think this clown got and served jail time. 

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
I wonder how IDFG solved this case...would seem incredibly difficult to prove without a guilty plea from Dad/son.  Was it being videoed? 

Idaho has a program that allows parents/grandparents to give tags to their minor children...not that the son in this case is a minor...but I guess I just don't see this as the crime of the century, particularly given Idaho currently supports some form of tag sharing among family.  All that said, I do not condone such actions - but I do think the punishment is probably about right...not too light.
You can give a tag to a minor child or grandchild but not in the heat of the moment, you have to file paperwork and you don't get to shoot several times or even hunt at all before the minor child/grandchild decides to take the tag so that's not even slightly relevant in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
I didn't read the entire thread so please don't hammer me, but I just want to know which unit this deer was killed in???  PM's please
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
Wow, ....myself and family have killed a few big bucks and bulls that would probably be in in some sort of "record book" and in the hundreds and hundreds of animals our family has taken in the state of Washington since the early 1900,s not a one was ever scored, even tho a few fish and game folks my family have been friends with over the last hundred years or so have wanted us to do so, or at least "advised" us to. I have posted some of the bucks on here a few years ago but have hundreds more pictures that I will not. The reason our family hunts has never been about "the score", but about "the hunt", "the experience", "the time spent with friends and family" and putting food on the table. Killing the "biggest animal on the block" has never been a motivator. The fame and fortune of taking a big buck or bull is not why we hunt, but unfortunately for some it is..... :twocents:

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
Yeah I agree 100% with that Ryan Hatfield quote as well. The funny thing is if the same scenario happened but it was a doe, or a young little buck, they never would have been caught and most people wouldn't even care. But it's a record book buck so everyone's in an uproar over it.

I'm confident saying the only reason those guys got busted is because they posted it all over social media(greed). That's also the reason why everyone is in an uproar over it. I'm also confident saying they likely wouldn't have posted a doe or a small buck all over social media like that.
Were it not for social media, would any of us be in an uproar over Bullwinkle or any of the other questionable trophy animal kills we've seen on here over the years? No. We wouldn't.
Only from the perspective that none of us would know about said poaching, or "questionable" kills...whether a poacher posts his kill on social media or hides it in a closet and never speaks about said trophy has no bearing on my view of a poaching incident. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
I didn't read the entire thread so please don't hammer me, but I just want to know which unit this deer was killed in???  PM's please

SE corner
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »

SE corner
I hunted by Paris down there one year, the poaching was obvious. Never went back, but that hunt was an over the counter tag. 

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »

SE corner
I hunted by Paris down there one year, the poaching was obvious. Never went back, but that hunt was an over the counter tag.

Jerry, it was in Bonneville county, so one of the LE tags in there...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 09:18:29 PM »
Wow, ....myself and family have killed a few big bucks and bulls that would probably be in in some sort of "record book" and in the hundreds and hundreds of animals our family has taken in the state of Washington since the early 1900,s not a one was ever scored, even tho a few fish and game folks my family have been friends with over the last hundred years or so have wanted us to do so, or at least "advised" us to. I have posted some of the bucks on here a few years ago but have hundreds more pictures that I will not. The reason our family hunts has never been about "the score", but about "the hunt", "the experience", "the time spent with friends and family" and putting food on the table. Killing the "biggest animal on the block" has never been a motivator. The fame and fortune of taking a big buck or bull is not why we hunt, but unfortunately for some it is..... :twocents:
I have killed 5 animals that would have qualified for state records or record books.  My very best hunting buddy, who is a phenomenal and honest hunter, has a few in P&Y.  When I killed a bull that was eligible, he was disappointed I didn't enter it.  I think 15 years on now, he understands why.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
The story is very vague how they say it... I've kept up on this story for a while and the father had hit the deer and the son finished it off without a license. I guess I'm old school but I don't see anything wrong with that; better than letting it go off and die. But I don't see anything wrong with putting a deer out of it misery if its back snapped and its laying in the ditch suffering. Good thing I'm always to the book  8)
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
The story is very vague how they say it... I've kept up on this story for a while and the father had hit the deer and the son finished it off without a license. I guess I'm old school but I don't see anything wrong with that; better than letting it go off and die. But I don't see anything wrong with putting a deer out of it misery if its back snapped and its laying in the ditch suffering. Good thing I'm always to the book  8)

I agree the penalty was too much especially if the buck was already hit. They are Not the same as the poacher who shoots something out of season and without a tag or in season without a tag. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »

I agree the penalty was too much especially if the buck was already hit. They are Not the same as the poacher who shoots something out of season and without a tag or in season without a tag.
I tend to agree, they were honest with Leo and that is what got them in trouble.  I also agree that if this was a small 3 point or doe, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
Furthermore, my dad is 75 years old, if he finally drew a big bull or deer tag, and he wounded an animal of this caliber or any size, and I had a chance to finish it off and recover the animal, done deal.  Roast away !

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Furthermore, my dad is 75 years old, if he finally drew a big bull or deer tag, and he wounded an animal of this caliber or any size, and I had a chance to finish it off and recover the animal, done deal.  Roast away !

me too :yeah:

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »
I'll bet the Law Office of Hormel.LLC could have argued that the regs were vague about family members being able to give tags to each other.
DAD: bang bang bang DAMN here son you can have my tag!!!!! shoot shoot :IBCOOL: :yike: :dunno:
Gen:27:3

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull