collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should all OTC tags be eliminated and draw only hunting be the way forward?

NO - keep the general season open
262 (69.1%)
YES - make all hunting special draw only like Utah
117 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 379

Author Topic: Should ALL general season Elk hunts be canceled in favor of permit only hunting?  (Read 35335 times)

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
I think we need a draw only in E/WA, especially in the 100 series GMU's.   

Antlerless Elk is mostly gone which is a good step (remove ALL anterless elk hunts) but lacking any predator control efforts  :dunno:   I'm not seeing the Elk I saw 3-4 years ago, especially not seeing the elk I saw 7 years ago  :(

Re: predator control - how much additional cougar (and coyote) would need to be removed to make a noticeable difference in deer and elk populations?  Double?  Quadruple?  How much are wolves really impacting deer/elk herds in WA right now?

I know some folks call for coyotes.  For cougar, if you wanted to try to bring them in, would you do similar calling?  Other than as a pure target of opportunity, how does one hunt cougar without dogs?

That's exactly the point.  We need to change the rules on predators not elk.  Dogs for bears and cats, OTC spring bear, Wolf tags and trapping.  NE Washington did be managed just like N Idaho. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Sorry to hurt your little feelers ladies,  for those of you who haven't been paying attention for about the last +20 years, more regulation in Washington is BAD news. Hunting, fishing, gun rights... I can make a list or give a 7 hour powerpoint presentation if needed.

What makes it bad in Washington but good in other states? Why are we different?
being good in other states would be like saying ours is bad in our state,not everyone in the state agrees it is bad and not everyone in these other states agrees that theirs is good
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
The problem is it's ALREADY essentially permit only, because the general modern firearm season only allows us to hunt spikes. So most people buy an elk tag only so they can apply for special permits. If they don't draw, they don't hunt. Eliminate the spike only general season, and increase the number of permits available in the draw, and we get to hunt elk more often.
Statewide 3pt min. Problem solved
Dilligaf

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
The problem is it's ALREADY essentially permit only, because the general modern firearm season only allows us to hunt spikes. So most people buy an elk tag only so they can apply for special permits. If they don't draw, they don't hunt. Eliminate the spike only general season, and increase the number of permits available in the draw, and we get to hunt elk more often.

I'd settle for that.   :tup:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
that would be cool no doubt but it would surely hurt the elk population.more success has a tendency to do that
"Boss of the woods"

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
Strife 5 pt mine...   :drool:

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
I totally get the issue that if the state increases the number of elk in our state through more limited hunting that the native Americans would only kill more elk, entirely defeating the purpose of our reduction in harvest. However, it's mostly only one tribe that has the year around season with no limit to how many elk each person is allowed to take, and we all know which tribe that is. So my solution to that would be an unlimited number of permits in those GMU's in which that particular tribe allows un-controlled  hunting by their people. So while it would be a "general season," anyone who applied for a permit would get it.
my particular issue is the SE Blues, primarily from Idaho Native Americans. Currently there is no control or management, contrary to what any one says. If we could get some cooperation with that, I'd possibly in agreement, I do like the unlimited # of permits, I may get one..
It is absolutely terrible the truck loads of bulls that come out of them mountains. I could go on. And now they are hunting a different kind of bull also

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline chester

• Sourdough
that would be cool no doubt but it would surely hurt the elk population.more success has a tendency to do that
How would that hurt the population more then the current APR?
Dilligaf

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Are you serious?3 point min. statewide.Over time and i mean short time the elk would be severely hurt.they already proved that the big bulls do the breeding for the most part you open to 3 point min. and every bull seen will be killed   Without even having to draw for it.this is getting to be a thread on the i want an elk no matter whats left
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
this might work if moved slowly over like a 5 year plan,this year 3 point max next 4 point so on with no draws to bulls
"Boss of the woods"

Offline chester

• Sourdough
The big bulls do the breeding because they win the fight, remove them and a younger bull would be more then happy to take their place. You'd have more breeding age bulls because the teenagers wouldn't be shot out. Population growth wouldn't suffer.

It's been going on on the west side for 20 years.
Welcome to the world of rag horns  :hello:
Dilligaf

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
don't the young spikes learn from the big bulls?
"Boss of the woods"

Offline chester

• Sourdough
You aren't gonna clean out every bull in eastern Washington.
And what do you think they learn? Elk aren't exactly looking for a father figure, they don't have an apprenticeship to figure out what to do with a hard on.
I'm pretty sure they can figure that out on their own . And elk social structure is run by the lead cow.
Dilligaf

Offline bobdog86

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
I know the Nez Perce would love the 5 PT minimum....just saying

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
You aren't gonna clean out every bull in eastern Washington.
And what do you think they learn? Elk aren't exactly looking for a father figure, they don't have an apprenticeship to figure out what to do with a hard on.
I'm pretty sure they can figure that out on their own . And elk social structure is run by the lead cow.
It doesn't take every bull to hurt the elk.  :bash: This is another wildlife thread without a peep from any of the employees that can explain why it is the way it is or why they should change it.it is deafening.they always seem to have something to say on these issues except when it might hurt their take home pay.
"Boss of the woods"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal