collapse
Sound like the real thing! Trophy Bucks and Bulls

Poll

Should all OTC tags be eliminated and draw only hunting be the way forward?

NO - keep the general season open
262 (69.1%)
YES - make all hunting special draw only like Utah
117 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 379

Author Topic: Should ALL general season Elk hunts be canceled in favor of permit only hunting?  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Bunny Thumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hunting elk every year is something I would never give up. I'll hunt rag horns every year and be happy with it. If your hunting experience is measured by larger antlers hunt harder or go out of state.

Offline Buzz2401

• Longhunter
I like hunting every year but if we were to divide the hunters in two and you got to hunt every other year with half the people I think that would be kinda cool to.  Be able to hunt deer one year and elk the next.  Could be hard coming up with a system to be able to hunt with your regular hunting partners though.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
I like hunting every year but if we were to divide the hunters in two and you got to hunt every other year with half the people I think that would be kinda cool to.  Be able to hunt deer one year and elk the next.  Could be hard coming up with a system to be able to hunt with your regular hunting partners though.

Out of the last 4 years elk hunting my group has harvested 3 elk.  Which, BTW, is WAY better than average success rates.  Given that, even if only 1 or two of us had a tag we'd all still go since in the current system only one of us is likely to shoot something anyway.  And if we just have 1 tag we could either chill out and drink beer for the rest of the season, or go home early once we get that elk rather than continue what so far has been a quixotic quest for a second animal.  Only difference would be that only those with tags would bother bringing their rifle.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Or hunt bear & cougar
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Sourdough
And if we just have 1 tag we could either chill out and drink beer for the rest of the season, or go home early once we get that elk rather than continue what so far has been a quixotic quest for a second animal.  Only difference would be that only those with tags would bother bringing their rifle.

The difference is that most people wouldn't say chilling out, drinking beer, going home early, and not carrying a rifle are actually hunting.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
And if we just have 1 tag we could either chill out and drink beer for the rest of the season, or go home early once we get that elk rather than continue what so far has been a quixotic quest for a second animal.  Only difference would be that only those with tags would bother bringing their rifle.

The difference is that most people wouldn't say chilling out, drinking beer, going home early, and not carrying a rifle are actually hunting.

I would be one, that's camping not hunting.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Sourdough
We have enough restrictions on us. As it sits right now we manage the herds so the other user group can shoot any bull while we wait years to draw for a chance. I vote no.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
    • No Facebook for this guy
I would vote no to "all" but I wouldn't be against moving some GMU's to controlled hunts.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
We have enough restrictions on us. As it sits right now we manage the herds so the other user group can shoot any bull while we wait years to draw for a chance. I vote no.

not all Elk hunting is around the rez, what about the rest of the state?

Offline sumpnz

• Scout

Didn't say it was my first choice.  This year I got a cow elk on day 1.  We kept at it until the old guy in the group couldn't handle another day out there.  Yeah, we liked it better being able to keep hunting.  But at some point saying enough and tackling the problem of having still full growlers of beer becomes more attractive when you've got enough meat hanging already to go around.

Or hunt bear & cougar

I always have my bear and cougar tag.  After I got my elk I kept my rifle on me while trying to help the other guys get onto a bull just in case I had a chance at a bear or cougar.  But, I don't think there's much out there in the way of predators.  The gut pile from my cow hadn't been hit by anything other than bugs after 2.5 days.  I know because I walked 2' away from it so I could retrieve some rope we'd left at the kill site and I took a pretty close look at it.

This fall I'm planning to scout a new place for deer hunting.  I'm going to make sure I go there after bear season at least is open, and cougar season too if possible.  And half the point of that trip will be to try to actually get one of those predators.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
I would prefer to see actions taken to increase elk populations so general seasons wouldn't need to be cancelled.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Explorer
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
@sumpnz wasn't a criticism so much as a need to kill predators despite the states attempt to protect them. I also realize that some areas hold more predators than others. Here in the NW and apparently NE there are plenty to go around.

I too need to try harder to kill predators...

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
@sumpnz wasn't a criticism so much as a need to kill predators despite the states attempt to protect them. I also realize that some areas hold more predators than others. Here in the NW and apparently NE there are plenty to go around.

It's so bad that a pack of cougars can charge a WDFW officer and he'll just fire warning shots in the air...warning shots??

Offline Special T

• Explorer
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I know right? And you guys in the NE are screwed cause you have cougar bear and wolves!

It's a good thing white tail breed like rabbits!

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
I know right? And you guys in the NE are screwed cause you have cougar bear and wolves!

It's a good thing white tail breed like rabbits!

The WT are in bad shape, they're huddled up in small herds on the late winter range and it's still snowed in.  I have to literally crawl through the herds of WT on the road way like they were cattle, don't even want to get out of my way.  I haven't even seen the mulies,  there was a few small herds here and there but they're all gone.  Haven't seen one in weeks.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout

Just looked it up, and assuming it doesn't change from last year, bear opens August 1, and cougar opens September 1.  It's really too bad they don't align bear and cougar openers.  I think I'll be able to scout during August, but probably not September.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
If this were about mule deer I would say absolutely 100% should have been done 5 years ago.  Elk on the other hand continue to thrive in this state.  There is ZERO reason to not have an otc season.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline High Climber

• Hunter
If this were about mule deer I would say absolutely 100% should have been done 5 years ago.  Elk on the other hand continue to thrive in this state.  There is ZERO reason to not have an otc season.
I agree. Although something needs to be done with the St. Helens herd, the hoof rot is a serious issue, and much of that herd is in a downward spiral.
I may be wrong, but doesn't Utah have OTC elk units?

Offline mburrows

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Go Cougs!
I say no...i wish washington did the same thing idaho does with their elk tags. Lots of opportunity to hunt bulls across the state via tag quota and otc with a handful of draw only units. No picking a side but you can only hunt the management area you have a tag for.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
Guess I should specify I really know nothing about wetside elk.  But here in central washington there are more elk then there has ever been.  Every year the numbers continue to climb.  Harvest rates are low because output is directly related to input.  Go for a drive in the mountains at noon during elk season and count the number of folks sitting in camp.  Time on the mountain=success, not a permit in your pocket.  I've hunted a lot of the west and I see more elk here in the hills behind my home town than anywhere I have hunted including CO.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
Guess I should specify I really know nothing about wetside elk.  But here in central washington there are more elk then there has ever been.  Every year the numbers continue to climb.  Harvest rates are low because output is directly related to input.  Go for a drive in the mountains at noon during elk season and count the number of folks sitting in camp.  Time on the mountain=success, not a permit in your pocket.  I've hunted a lot of the west and I see more elk here in the hills behind my home town than anywhere I have hunted including CO.

That herd is doing well,  come over to the NE corner

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
I agree

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman

That herd is doing well,  come over to the NE corner
  I literally know nothing about the NE elk, except it's OTC kill em all?  There must be a reason for the season?  Kind of like the any elk seasons in the ALW and other historic mule deer habitat ranges?  I know there isn't a ton of elk up there but are their numbers at a historic low or just low in general?

Offline Jpmiller

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
There are monster bulls in Washington and I personally have known guys who pull elk every year. Making it permit only won't put a monster behind every tree or even in every drainage. The system right now let's me hunt elk every year and I like that. Success rates are low sure but if you put in the time and effort and get out of your truck and out of eyesight of a road you can get into elk.

I see this more as a blame the natives and the state for my not getting an elk issue. We have permit only areas and we have general season areas, as I can see the system is OK. I am no biologist however.

I always hear the same thing.   I know guys who do it every year, get out of the truck, don't blame the natives because you cannot hunt like the guy I know, It's about the hunt not the kill.......

Sorry jpmiller.  If I want to go camping I'll go camping.

I disagree that an unsuccessful hunting trip is merely camping. That sounds more like the mentality of a high fence hunt. I hunt in the area that receives a lot of bashing on this site due to low elk numbers and High hunter numbers, this General rifle elk season I saw only elk and no Hunters.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
It's just speculation on the numbers, I have no idea and neither does WDFW.   

They aren't managed.  Some few guys have figured it out or they own property(or have access) they hunt every year, for public land DIY hunters it's a tough hunt.  What I do know is there can be a ton more Elk.   I can show you piles and piles of bones and wolf scat along with untouched areas that should be holding elk.   

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

Rimrock archery elk by Mudman
[Today at 09:50:29 AM]

340 or 400 Spine? by Lingcod
[Today at 09:50:23 AM]

Preserving your deer in hot weather by Dan-o
[Today at 09:47:08 AM]

APP Updates! You'll Love These! by Elknut1
[Today at 09:42:59 AM]

Trophy Ridge React H5. Thoughts? by DVET253
[Today at 09:40:41 AM]

suspenders please by pianoman9701
[Today at 09:22:15 AM]

Cleaning and Butchering a roadkill deer by Jpmiller
[Today at 08:48:41 AM]

Legal or not? by lokidog
[Today at 08:47:27 AM]

NIB Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 MOA Illuminated MOAR Reticle w/Zeroset by outdoorsdad
[Today at 08:42:14 AM]

What's everyone's favorite release? by tbotts
[Today at 08:22:53 AM]

How to "safely" install/tighten/remove broad heads..... by tbotts
[Today at 08:21:35 AM]

Iso: duck boat by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:02:23 AM]

FS 30MM Warne Maxima Rings by Gamblin Guy
[Today at 07:49:17 AM]

2009 Cougar Keystone 5th Wheel by SniperDanWA
[Today at 07:42:49 AM]

NE bear hunting question by Jpmiller