collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rifle build started  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Re: Rifle build started
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
It's not how the brass holds out but how uniform it is for best accuracy.  Ordinary brass needs to be weighed and measured for uniformity.  The better brass for the most part doesn't need it.

I weighed 200 pieces of Remington one year looking for 100 that were uniform.  I found out the bulk brass I was evaluation had a weight range of 6 grains.  I bought 200 pieces of Lapua and weighed all.  Found out 188 pieces had a range of +\- 0.6 grains and the remaining 12 pieces expanded that to +\- 1.0 grains.  I then miked the necks to see how out of round they were.  Brass was less than .001 out of round so I quit and just shot them.

In theory brass having a different internal volume can cause powder to burn at a different pressure level.  Things like this affect accuracy so that's why some of us chase "nits".

Hope it shoots well for you when you get it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:01:12 PM by Bill W »

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
I will weight sort the Hornady to see if it is consistent. Of I run into a problem with it I will a higher quality brass.

Offline rudysts

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
Pretty excited right now. Just dropped off my old Remington 700 DPS at the gun smith. Soon it will be a 300 win mag. Here's a parts list so far.
Remington 700 trued and blueprinted.
Bartlein #4 Lt bullet sport finished at 26 inches.
Hawkins precision muzzle brake
Grayboe renagade stock bedded to action
Ptg recoil lug pined to action.
Magpul Magnum bottom metal.
Cerakote ba in tungsten.
Will be sending the bolt off to have tac 8 fluteing done by boltfluteing.com out of Haines Oregon. Guy does a killer job.
Optics for now vortex viper HS 4-16x50, will be changing later.
Now just the wait for it to be done.
Good luck with your new build. I also just sent my smith my 7 Rem mag  barelled action to install a new barrel.

Blue printed LA magnum
Brux 28" #5 contour  300 win mag no turn neck throated for 210 bergers I may try the 215s.
Mcmillan A3 ultralight edge technology. I also have a HS precision from a 5R 300 win. I may use if i decide to sell to fund another custom Borden Timberline.
Fluted bolt with Sako extractor.
Jewell trigger
Vortex PST Gen ll 5-25-50 (on order not released yet)

It has been a while since I played with a 30 caliber been shooting 7mm for a while now.
7Rem mag, 280 Rem., 280 Ackley, 284 Shehane

As far as brass goes I plan on using Nosler I have had good results with them minimal brass prep and they hold up well. I have had over 15 firings on them with my 7 Rem mag pushing a 180 Berger 3025 FPS and 280 Ackley. 180 Berger 2850 Fps. pricey but they hold up well and are consistent.

I hope it shoots well when it was a 7 Rem it was lights out. it was a (Benchmark barrel) I am sure it will the smith is out of Texas and is from the benchrest world. But you never know if you get a bad barrel been there before but the barrel company stood behind it and made it right.

You did good choosing a Bartlein top notch barrel good luck again.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
Congrats om the new build!  Custom rifles are darn addicting! 

I have a pile of mixed brand brass.  Anneal, size, trim, and shoot.  Guys seem to geek out way more than they need to on the brass thing.  My 300wsm Hell's Canyon Armory Carbon shoots in the .3's all day long.  Maybe if I was more anal about my brass it would shoot better but I think .3 is acceptable for a deer gun :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline rudysts

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Hell yeah .3 is damn good for a deer gun. with any custom or semi custom .5 is is what you want minimum with .25 being the expectation. That's why I prefer custom actions to maximize accuracy potential. all my rifles will shoot  .25 @ 100 yards if I am having a good day .1 5 shot groups. but if they can hold half moa out past 600 yards or sub moa in tough conditions I'm a happy shooter.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:01 AM »
I will be happy with .5 but hoping to see smaller with good load development. Just dropped the muzzle break off for the rifle took longer to get for some reason.
I have decide I won't by another factory rifle. I will buy actions from now on and have rifles built. I think it's money well spent going that route. I have had to many guns I have bought and not been happy with the factory stuff so I change out everything. Finally realized I was wasting my money.
Custom or semi custom is the way to go from now on for me. Might take longer to get a rifle but I know I'm getting what I want.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
Well been a month and a half. Going to stop off at the gun Smiths this weekend to see the progress. Getting antsy to get the gun up and shooting. Still trying to decide on a scope for it but haven't made up my mind.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Well been a month and a half. Going to stop off at the gun Smiths this weekend to see the progress. Getting antsy to get the gun up and shooting. Still trying to decide on a scope for it but haven't made up my mind.

Average build time is 6 months......

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »
Yeah I know. Just going to stop in to say hi. I have know him for a long time.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
Been a while so figured I would update. Barrel is in the lathe and getting chambered and threaded. Not sure what has been done in the stock yet. Decided to not use the magpul bottom metal and just go with the standard bdl. If I decide to go with a dbm I will look into a wyatt. He said it going to be around the end of august.
Still need to send the bolt off to be fluted and bolt knob installed. Then it will be off to get the cerakote done by northwest hydro print.
Gun should be good to go for deer season. Just have to figure out what scope it going to run.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
I'd go with something 26 oz or less with turrets at least 18 power as you may want to reach out to 700 yards.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
Yeah I have been looking at the pst gen ii, Burris xtr ii and athlon ares. I will be shooting steel a lot farther then 700 yards. Going to shot the 212 eld as long as I can get them to shoot with h1000. Might have to try some reloader 26 also. Herd you get little extra velocity with it. She

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
For steel I'd check out the Cronus - its mils - ffp - 29x .  Little heavy but a lotta scope for $1599. 

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »
I really like the Cronus. Really nice scope for the money. I am trying to stay under 1000 for a scope. That's why I was looking at the ares 6-24. Really like the feature just waiting to hear some more reviews once more of them get out.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
That new Ares 4.5-27 at only 27 oz and $850 looks like a very interesting scope.  Might have to try that on one of mine. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]