collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whistling Wings HRC Training Day  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Whistling Wings HRC Training Day
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
When: Sunday, 03/12/17.

Where: Carlson's Canine Country, 2412 Neal Rd SE, Fall City, WA 98024

Drive past Carlson's Kennel on the right and keep going around the bend. There will be HRC signs on the left.

Cost: First timers train and eat for free!!! Otherwise $10.00/dog members | $25.00/dog non-members. $5.00 donation for a hotdog with chips and a drink.

Time: 10:00 am to 2:30 pm. Setup starts at 8:30 am.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
Re: Whistling Wings HRC Training Day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Sounds like a good time.  Too bad Jasmine is due to whelp the next day.   :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
What does this gathering entail? My cocker isn't much of a retriever, but I don't know if he's trainable at 5. I wouldn't want to put the e collar juice to him.
Step once, look twice...

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Basically there is a gathering of retriever folks to train together using the clubs equipment and birds. By retrievers that doesn't mean just labs and goldens. You will see several different breeds. Boykins, poodle, flat coats, puddle pointer... There is a WWHRC member with 2 field cockers that trains with the club. Idk if he will be there tomorrow though. If you've had your interest peaked come on out and see what it's about.
Some choose to train without an ecollar in the club, so you won't be alone. There are all levels of skilled dogs and handlers. It'd be a good intro into hunt tests and seeing what levels of performance there are. Lunch is provided and your first time out and everything is free!

Do you hunt with your cocker?

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Yes my cocker is a hunter. He gets the birds up, but when I shoot them, about anything can happen next. He may go find the bird and bring it back, or he may go find the bird and tear it to shreds. He may find it, lick it a couple times and go back to hunting. Or he may completely ignore the fact that I dropped the bird he flushed. I'm not hard core, and don't expect anything close to perfection out of him. It would be nice to get him retrieving birds as well as he does balls, toys! etc. I may swing by tomorrow and check it out. If I do, do I need to bring a shotgun? Thanks.
Step once, look twice...

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
No need for a gun. The club had many and we only shoot blanks. We don't much upland training. So this is more along the lines of duck hunting.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:09:09 AM »
That sure looks like a Boykin to me.......

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »

I get that a lot. He's actually an English field cocker out of Covey Flush kennels in Georgia. Probably a lot like a Boykin, but maybe a little smaller. He's 30-31 pounds. He's very active and athletic, but very gentle.
Step once, look twice...

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

Since the common theory of the Boykin's origin is a field cocker crossed with an American Water Spaniel (the mystery dog on those long ago South Carolina church steps?)...Yes, there is a resemblance. Being a breeder of Boykins, I'm sure you have noticed some strains with a more EFC coat and others with a coat not much different from an AWS.

I recall one old time breeder of AWS remarking, "We would ship our AWS pups South and they would end up with docked tails and suddenly be called Boykins..."
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »
Our April Training Day is a week earlier to avoid conflict with Cascade’s Hunt Test.  Come on by and have an extra training day before the hunt test.

Sunday, August 2nd

Where:  Carlson's Canine Country, 2412 Neal Rd SE, Fall City, WA 98024

Time: From 10:00 am to 2:30 pm

Setup 8:00 am -- join us setting up to get insights into why wingers are placed where they are and what we are looking for at each setup scenario

Cost: $10.00/dog members | $25.00/dog non-members

Lunch: $5.00 donation for a hotdog with chips and a drink Invite your friends and family to see what fun we have together with our dogs.  Guests are welcome.  Anyone joining us for the first time runs their dog for free and gets lunch on us.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:09:13 AM »
T-Bone

[[[Since the common theory of the Boykin's origin is a field cocker crossed with an American Water Spaniel (the mystery dog on those long ago South Carolina church steps?)...Yes, there is a resemblance. Being a breeder of Boykins, I'm sure you have noticed some strains with a more EFC coat and others with a coat not much different from an AWS.

I recall one old time breeder of AWS remarking, "We would ship our AWS pups South and they would end up with docked tails and suddenly be called Boykins..."]]]

No one is sure of the original pedigree of "Dumpy", the original stray dog which the Boykin breed aspired from and his mate, Singo, who was a water spaniel. They made the first litter of "Boykins" and the rest  is mystery history as to what was bred into the lines afterwards.
   Truth is, Boykins are probably the first designer dog in America. And I may he labeled blasphemous for mentioning that Dumpy may have been a Wachtelhund, which could be why he was so adaptable to water.
   Anyways, other breeds were introduced and in the 70's people started to notice the little brown dog was not so brown, so a registry was started, the Boykin Spaniel Society. From there records were kept and we have what we have now.
   Some Boykins are short legged, some are long, because someone wanted faster dogs and bred them to pointers and what have you.
   In the end, we have a loyal, extremely intelligent, versitle and adaptable hunting dog.
And they are all brown, though some darker than others, and a little white spot on the chest might show "from being bred to those god -awful springers" 😀

And I knew a southern breeder who said long ago he would send long tailed boykins (undocked) up north and sell them as AWS's!
 :chuckle:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:02:30 PM by pens fan »

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:14 PM »
They say the good ones were bred from dwarf chesapeakes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »
Whistling Wings Training Day

May 14th at Carlson's Canine Country Club.

First timers train and have lunch on us.

If you have questions feel free to PM me or visit the website.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw