collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017  (Read 18818 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
Archery hunters allowed to kill does, but nobody else, not even youth even if WDFW gives out antlerless permits for the GMU's...this is dumb...why take away youth opportunities but allow adults (archery) to kill does. They should have made it youth only for antlerless opportunities...

Free Camping!...at designated campgrounds

select your elk tag for the drawing before the drawing...added 2 rifle permits as well...

New permits go on sale March 17th...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
 :bash:   Shhhhhhhh, let's get our permits before we bring this up!!!  It went so long to, I thought we had a chance of the changes not getting posted on here......slim chance but a chance. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
Why keep it quiet...the new rules suck for the youth hunters, other than that it's not much of a change...going back to the 2 pt min. (who cares, not like a bunch of people bought the permits to shoot spikes) and the permits don't sell out anyway, so it's not like there's going to be a mad dash and no chance at a permit...

If anything, I hope past permit holders call and complain about the youth opportunities taken away. How is it OK for adults to kill does but not have youth get that opportunity? Makes no sense...

Grade

Online Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »
Why keep it quiet...the new rules suck for the youth hunters, other than that it's not much of a change...going back to the 2 pt min. (who cares, not like a bunch of people bought the permits to shoot spikes) and the permits don't sell out anyway, so it's not like there's going to be a mad dash and no chance at a permit...

If anything, I hope past permit holders call and complain about the youth opportunities taken away. How is it OK for adults to kill does but not have youth get that opportunity? Makes no sense...

Grade

Archery doe hunt vs a 300 yard rifle kill? Big difference. Apply for a different unit that's open then for doe. Deer numbers aren't what they should be up there.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Grade
Id just like to go into the elk draw with the best odds possible, I hope your right and less people get the pass.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:18:49 PM »
Duckslayer89...if you look at my post I specifically say Youth...I could care less about adults shooting does, with a bow or a rifle...but why discourage the youth, especially when they give out specific youth tags for antlerless that starts the week before the general season...I agree that the deer numbers aren't the same as they used to be but this isn't because of youth hunters, it's because of the combination of all hunters as well as game management and forest practices...

Grade

PS. Adult kills a doe at 30 yards with a bow or kills one at 300 yards with a rifle...still a dead doe...let the youth have that opportunity not an adult with an over the counter tag that has many more GMU's open for does.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
I don't get a Kapowsin pass, but I grew up hunting on the westside and I wasn't discouraged from hunting because I couldn't shoot a doe.  The idea that a youth is more inclined to pursue hunting because they can shoot a doe is a farce IMO. 

As for archery does, that is pretty much on par with the state regs.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
I don't get a Kapowsin pass, but I grew up hunting on the westside and I wasn't discouraged from hunting because I couldn't shoot a doe.  The idea that a youth is more inclined to pursue hunting because they can shoot a doe is a farce IMO. 

As for archery does, that is pretty much on par with the state regs.
Agreed. I never hunted does when I was a youth and I still managed to get addicted to hunting.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
"As for archery does, that is pretty much on par with the state regs."...So are the youth antlerless permits put out by the WDFW, which by the way, will still be issued by the WDFW for GMU 654 but Hancock is saying they won't honor the WDFW permit on their lands...the game animals cannot be privately owned in WA, as they are owned by the people, this is a big land owner imposing their own management on our animals (which they have every right to do on their lands) but it makes no sense that they allow adults to kill does but not youth...and as far as "still managed to get addicted to hunting" without youth doe permits, well, keep in mind WA is losing hunters at an alarming rate and soon non-hunters and anti-hunters will even have more of a stronghold...if the WDFW gives youth doe permits then Hancock should think twice about allowing them on their lands, after all, it's mostly hunters who buy the permit and hunter numbers are dwindling...soon there won't be hunters to buy the permit...makes no sense is all I'm saying.

Grade

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »
"As for archery does, that is pretty much on par with the state regs."...So are the youth antlerless permits put out by the WDFW, which by the way, will still be issued by the WDFW for GMU 654 but Hancock is saying they won't honor the WDFW permit on their lands...the game animals cannot be privately owned in WA, as they are owned by the people, this is a big land owner imposing their own management on our animals (which they have every right to do on their lands) but it makes no sense that they allow adults to kill does but not youth...and as far as "still managed to get addicted to hunting" without youth doe permits, well, keep in mind WA is losing hunters at an alarming rate and soon non-hunters and anti-hunters will even have more of a stronghold...if the WDFW gives youth doe permits then Hancock should think twice about allowing them on their lands, after all, it's mostly hunters who buy the permit and hunter numbers are dwindling...soon there won't be hunters to buy the permit...makes no sense is all I'm saying.

Grade

It's no different than if I owned 200 acres and let you hunt on it as long as you didn't shoot a doe. I agree with you that hancock should think twice about allowing doe tags, but they chose to manage their property differently than the state. In fact, you could argue while they are actually managing their land while the state is managing for revenue.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »
I think allowing timber companies to make such decisions like these are a slippery slope. Ya it's "their land to manage", but where does the line get drawn? What if all the companies take this route?

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
I think allowing timber companies to make such decisions like these are a slippery slope. Ya it's "their land to manage", but where does the line get drawn? What if all the companies take this route?

What if they close it to everybody?

Online Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
Duckslayer89...if you look at my post I specifically say Youth...I could care less about adults shooting does, with a bow or a rifle...but why discourage the youth, especially when they give out specific youth tags for antlerless that starts the week before the general season...I agree that the deer numbers aren't the same as they used to be but this isn't because of youth hunters, it's because of the combination of all hunters as well as game management and forest practices...

Grade

PS. Adult kills a doe at 30 yards with a bow or kills one at 300 yards with a rifle...still a dead doe...let the youth have that opportunity not an adult with an over the counter tag that has many more GMU's open for does.

I know you said youth. When I was a kid I literally dreamed about bow hunting before I got to take hunters ed. Get your kid a bow and practice a bunch, or go to another unit that allows for antlerless hunting where there are more deer

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
I completely understand what you're getting at, but it is more of a matter as Hancock has taken to recognition that their deer numbers are dwindling. I think that they understood a child/youth hunter will be more likely to shoot a doe than an adult hunter, and so they took the route to blockade the youth shooting of a doe on this permit as they saw this as more of a threat to the doe populations. Perhaps they used the harvest report cards to come up with these statistics and saw the majority of does was killed by youth hunters with special permits, not the archery adult hunters looking to kill a buck, just my  :twocents:  :tup:

Online Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
Btw I wouldn't mind no antlerless for archery either

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan