collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017  (Read 18810 times)

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
There's no irony. If you live an hunt western Washington then your surrounded by timberland that has become paid access. I'll admit. I played the game for the first few years, but haven't since then. Once one company gets away with something an others see a benefit in it they'll follow the leader. So having this happen even though apparently I have no idea where his tree farm is according to you cavemen it's close enough to home for me that it will be like a ripple effect and before long be knocking on my door.. like I said. I don't disagree with 2pt minimum. I've been saying for years it's should be 2pt or better. But that's wdfw call not Hancock

It's a matter of opinion..  You and dvolmer both stated you either didn't know where Hancock was or have never been there.  Simply stated, Hancock is not violating laws and has restricted elk hunts similar to the 2pt minimum for deer they are putting in place now.  They can do as they wish. 

As I stated earlier, it is not worth it anyway..  No deer, roads are crowded and it's way over priced.  I'm all for boycotting them and think western wa hunters should do the same and not buy their permit...  Send a message...  Their is a ton of free access land in the Methow, Entiat and E Wa..  Mule deer are everywhere and whitetail are on the mend around the Palouse and Ione..  Less restrictions, more deer and friendly locals who will help.

Offline krapmit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
how much $$ is the pass this year?

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
whew,I hunted there for years,every year we hear some folks complaining about no deer and no bears,no coyotes no cougars,roads busy,road hunters..high prices..there is a lot of deer,a lot of bears we never have to many problems,we did however get out of our trucks and hunt or use mountain bikes,we got our firewood there,we had great times there,and yes the prices rose,but so many folks ruined things for other people..don't buy into it if you don't like it....but if your close and put in some effort you will save money and get critters.I like the 2 point or better,

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
how much $$ is the pass this year?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:03 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but unit 654 in which where kapowsin is located. Is open for general seasons for all 3 weapons. So if them issuing elk permits to access permit holders is doing you a favor 🤔
There is no late season elk that is all by permit after riffle season. Also no early muzzleloader deer. But there is state and federal land on the south side and Glacier Peak is open for high buck, so the unit has a lot of opportunity.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »
Glacier peak is way up north. Where the high hunt takes place.  Glacier view is in the 654. There is no high buck hunt in september for glacier view/654.
Just sayin
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
Bigtex,

Serious question for ya (just in case others on here think I am being "funny" or sarcastic) but for trespassing you have to be on private lands without permission...and trespassing while hunting is being on private lands without permission and hunting...but if you are a pass holder, and it is open to pass holders so you have permission and it is legal to shoot a spike by state law how are you trespassing as you stated? The permit is for access and it clearly states that if you violate the rules of the pass that they can and will take your pass away, but they can't impose state laws of trespassing because you broke an "Hancock rule" as this would be the same thing if you were speeding, or riding a dirt bike or didn't sign in...your not breaking any state laws, they can't call the sheriff and have you arrested for trespassing in those instances, so how is shooting a legal spike any different? I would think they would kick you out and revoke your permit...but no court would find you guilty of trespassing when you showed up and had a permit to be allowed on the land...can you explain if I am wrong on this one.

I looked up the RCW just to make sure...and it says the person enters or remains unlawfully...if you have a pass and it's legal to shoot a spike per state law, they are there lawfully...just not in compliance with Hancock's rules but RCW's can only be applied to state statutes not private rules. Again, I equate this to having a warming fire on a ridge during a snowstorm, not against the law but against Hancock rules of no fires outside of the camping area, they can't call the sheriff and have you arrested for the fire as its not against the state law to have one, they can just kick you out and revoke your permit.

And just this past week the "Bullwinkle" case set case law on this very subject...

RCW 9A.52.080

Criminal trespass in the second degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.

thanks in advance,

Grade
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:04:18 PM by grade-creek-rd »
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific.. I was referring to OTC for elk. An it being a open GMU for elk season for muzzle, rifle and archery. Obviously 3pt restrictions but still.. them only allowing 8 elk hunters in a area where it's suppose to be a open GMU for elk.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
Bigtex,

Serious question for ya (just in case others on here think I am being "funny" or sarcastic) but for trespassing you have to be on private lands without permission...and trespassing while hunting is being on private lands without permission and hunting...but if you are a pass holder, and it is open to pass holders so you have permission and it is legal to shoot a spike by state law how are you trespassing as you stated?
It's case law that's been applied under the criminal trespass statute. You are correct that there is not a codified statute in the WA trespass law that says you can't violate a landowner's rule. The courts have set a precedent that when someone/a company allows you onto their lands you do so at the will of the landowner and have to follow their stipulations. Once you break that stipulation you are trespassing.

Offline olyguy79

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
Bigtex,

Serious question for ya (just in case others on here think I am being "funny" or sarcastic) but for trespassing you have to be on private lands without permission...and trespassing while hunting is being on private lands without permission and hunting...but if you are a pass holder, and it is open to pass holders so you have permission and it is legal to shoot a spike by state law how are you trespassing as you stated?
It's case law that's been applied under the criminal trespass statute. You are correct that there is not a codified statute in the WA trespass law that says you can't violate a landowner's rule. The courts have set a precedent that when someone/a company allows you onto their lands you do so at the will of the landowner and have to follow their stipulations. Once you break that stipulation you are trespassing.
:yeah:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Bigtex,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, you can be charged with tresspass if you don't follow their own rules?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
Quote from: JBar on December 16, 2016, 01:50:02 PM
Again that would need to be approved and added by the WDFW. As a matter of fact even if they say it's a 2 point minimum on bucks they couldn't stop a person from shooting a spike as long as the GMU is a any buck unit. Yes they could kick you out, void your permit and not allow you to purchase another but you have broken no law by shooting a spike as long as the GMU allows it. If you add a cow permit for modern it's unit wide so anyone could put in and receive that permit even if they don't have a Hancock access permit. Would love to see the elk thinned out a bit and more opportunity given but it will be limited on how they can do it.

A lot of the suggestions here are really things out of Hancock's control and are more in WDFW's management. Hancock can say 2pt minimum for deer but if you shoot a spike you wouldn't really be "poaching" in the legal view of things since technically the unit is open for spikes.

Bigtex- The above quote in bold was from you referring to my post above that about Hancock on another thread. I'm not going to shoot a spike and risk my permit but just need some clarification. Its not poaching but is trespassing?
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
Quote from: JBar on December 16, 2016, 01:50:02 PM
Again that would need to be approved and added by the WDFW. As a matter of fact even if they say it's a 2 point minimum on bucks they couldn't stop a person from shooting a spike as long as the GMU is a any buck unit. Yes they could kick you out, void your permit and not allow you to purchase another but you have broken no law by shooting a spike as long as the GMU allows it. If you add a cow permit for modern it's unit wide so anyone could put in and receive that permit even if they don't have a Hancock access permit. Would love to see the elk thinned out a bit and more opportunity given but it will be limited on how they can do it.

A lot of the suggestions here are really things out of Hancock's control and are more in WDFW's management. Hancock can say 2pt minimum for deer but if you shoot a spike you wouldn't really be "poaching" in the legal view of things since technically the unit is open for spikes.

Bigtex- The above quote in bold was from you referring to my post above that about Hancock on another thread. I'm not going to shoot a spike and risk my permit but just need some clarification. Its not poaching but is trespassing?
You could not be cited for a wildlife offense, because quite simply you didn't violate any state hunting regs. You simply went against the landowners stipulations/regulations for accessing their property. What is "poaching" is up to each person's view, it's not a legal term in WA, or most states.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
Glacier peak is way up north. Where the high hunt takes place.  Glacier view is in the 654. There is no high buck hunt in september for glacier view/654.
Just sayin
You are correct and I should've known I hunt in there but archery so it's never been an issue. That could have been a horrible mistake this year as I will be going back to gun hunting this year.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
 Mistaking land marks having other names and places in mind is easy to do. glad I could help prevent a mistake
Just sayin
You are correct and I should've known I hunt in there but archery so it's never been an issue. That could have been a horrible mistake this year as I will be going back to gun hunting this year.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]