collapse
Quality Hunts for over 30 Years GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP

Author Topic: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017  (Read 7800 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Hancock Kapowsin New Rules 2017
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Chester....the contract can't make up state laws and you can only be arrested for breaking state laws...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline chester

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »
Pretty sure once you sign it, it's legally binding.
 :bdid:
Dilligaf

Offline cavemann

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
The need so many have to debate just to debate is exhausting..  If you don’t like the rules, don’t buy a pass or join the club.  The idea that anyone would consider or challenge the rules by breaking them and use any of the excuses noted in this thread is sad..  The permit application is very clear what the rules are before you pay your $375..  It would take a special kind of person to agree, pay and access the property and willingly violate the rules behind the excuse that “legally” you are in your right..  Here’s your sign…..

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
Its a civil contract only...legally binding for their rules that they can revoke your permit and not give your money back for breaking the rules...but you can't make up state laws enforced by the cops just because someone signs a piece of paper with made up rules...again, if I buy a movie ticket I am agreeing to adhere to the movie theatre rules and the ticket gives me access, if they say "no cell phone use during the movie" and I use my cell phone they can't call the cops and have me arrested for trespassing they can only kick me out without refund...

And caveman, I do agree with you that if you don't like the rules and aren't going to abide by them then don't buy the pass...that is not the argument here. What is being discussed is the fact that a landowner is making up their own "laws" and bigtex is saying you can go to jail for breaking up their made up rules...and the thread did take a turn (as they always do) as I originally posted this topic to highlight the changes...which happen to be a landowner making up their own game laws...slippery slope which started the debate.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
Its a civil contract only...legally binding for their rules that they can revoke your permit and not give your money back for breaking the rules...but you can't make up state laws enforced by the cops just because someone signs a piece of paper with made up rules...again, if I buy a movie ticket I am agreeing to adhere to the movie theatre rules and the ticket gives me access, if they say "no cell phone use during the movie" and I use my cell phone they can't call the cops and have me arrested for trespassing they can only kick me out without refund...

And caveman, I do agree with you that if you don't like the rules and aren't going to abide by them then don't buy the pass...that is not the argument here. What is being discussed is the fact that a landowner is making up their own "laws" and bigtex is saying you can go to jail for breaking up their made up rules...and the thread did take a turn (as they always do) as I originally posted this topic to highlight the changes...which happen to be a landowner making up their own game laws...slippery slope which started the debate.

Grade

:yeah: not sure how violating a civil contract with a private corporation equals a criminal offense in this. It's a private company, they can't have your freedom taken from you over their rules. It's like saying if you drive 10mph in the Fred Meyer parking lot but it's posted 5mph you can go to jail for breaking their rules. The government decides what you go to jail for. Ie laws. I rarely disagree with you big Tex but I do in your assessment that it'd be trespassing if you broke their rules.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
People may not like these rules, they probably still won't sell out on permits. Maybe sell less even. The two extra elk tags is a joke imo. They will sell out probably once deer number go back up because of reduced antlerless tags.

Online Jpmiller

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Could the trespassing thing be that once you are in violation of the contract you are no longer legally allowed to be on property and therefore trespassing?

I don't know why you would choose to shoot a spike if you know you're in for a fight. There was a guy I heard about near ellensburg that tried something similar (testing the rules of a hunt) and while he was found not guilty I don't think it worked out well for him.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
If you don't like the rules don't buy their pass.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
Could the trespassing thing be that once you are in violation of the contract you are no longer legally allowed to be on property and therefore trespassing?

By that logic I'm violating all kinds of places rules by having a chew in but it says no tobacco products. Or guys that carry guns at a business that request they not be carried. The logic of it being turned into trespassing is seriously flawed. I'm not saying it's not possible to find a cop unreasonable enough to cite it, and a similarly unreasonable prosecutor to try someone under the circumstances. But I'd personally be more concerned with getting hit by lightning. If they catch you breaking their rules, tell you to leave and you refuse at that point your asking for an actual trespass issue in my opinion. I'm not advocating signing a contract knowing you're going to violate it, I'm just trying to provide clarity about the outcome of that.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »

:yeah: Seems that simple
KCCO

Offline Tbar

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
  • That Boy Ain't Right
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
Didn't the bull ross posted come out of Kapowsin? Big bulls in there!

Offline justyhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, Cedar River Bowmen
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »

Exactly , and if Hancock sells less passes this year then they will know people aren't happy . But it would not have mattered what changes they made somebody was not going to be happy . I have a friend complaining about the new camping rule . He believes that now that it is included with the pass that everybody is going to be camping in there and he won't be able to find a spot .He says he won't be buying the pass this year , I bet he does . A common theme in the earlier survey thread was to not allow doe harvest , Hancock drops the doe harvest for modern and muzzy special permits and people aren't happy . Be careful of what you ask for . As an archer I will readily admit that I lobbied Hancock for archery and to maintain doe harvest . I didn't lobby against other group , only lobbied for archers by using what ever data I could find for 654 only because we can not get harvest reports for Kapowsin ( it would be nice if they put those numbers out )  . I have never harvested a doe on Hancock land but I hate to see opportunity taken away , it's just to hard to get back . If Hancock would have taken doe harvest from archers then I would be hunting somewhere else next year . $375 for less opportunity , just wouldn't be worth it to me .I can find bears in other places .  As it stands we'll be back in there this year , only difference , we now will be doing some camping . As for deer numbers , still to many predators . We are in there every week end hunting predators and so far have only come across one other person other than our selves hunting predators hard . Last week end we found what we believe to be a cougar kill on a young elk . I'm still irritated  that they shut down the cougar season early .   

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

:yeah: Seems that simple

The problem with "just say no" is that in some areas these big landowners have what amounts to a monopoly on land.  Having so much land with little competition gives unfair control. For places like Cowlitz county, Weyerhaeuser owns nearly half of all the land in the county, and controls access to most of the public land too.   

Offline brokentrail

• Pilgrim
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
I buy the pass every year as it is close for me and I can get more hunting in than if I just took a week off work and hunted elsewhere.  I already do that but I can still hunt evenings and weekends as well.

To me, it is unfortunate that they won't honor the youth doe permits.  Two of my boys have used that permit to kill their first deer, I have another one who is about to be licensed and that opportunity may not be there for him, depending on if they keep or change this rule.  I'm not a biologist and therefore can't say there are plenty of does, although nor am I against the 2 pt minimum,  but taking away youth opportunity for success wasn't what I had hoped for with their rule changes.

I'll buy it again this year and hope they think about the youth permits differently next year.

Offline Jharstad7182

• Pilgrim
  • A family that hunts together stays together
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
I buy the kapow gate access to take my kids up and drive around shoot grouse and coyotes and occasionally deer hunting if I'm not in eastern wa but I mostly buy it for the chance to shoot a bull in possibly the best elk spot in western Washington I've seen at least a dozen monsters every year I've been hunting its worth the 375 just for the chance at one if I get selected. Plus I go through the 5 cords of wood a year it pays for it self. I'm kinda hoping less people buy the tag so I can have a better chance at a great elk hunt
I eat wild game therefore I eat the definition of organic. It's like rockett fuel for the soul.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
Amen to that , I think everybody who didn't buy thier pass yet should boycott them!! JUst kidding, and yes I already bought mine. Like was stated, I buy it cause it's close to home, and I grew up in those woods before it was private ownership. Easy choice for me. Don't have to spend time and gas to go other places.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline scottfrick

• Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
As I look at it, it's their property so it's their rules. I'll keep buying the permit because it's close to home and I know a lot of Buddies that also buy the permit. I would like to see them open up the bridge gate side for spring bear.... that would be awesome.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
As I look at it, it's their property so it's their rules. I'll keep buying the permit because it's close to home and I know a lot of Buddies that also buy the permit. I would like to see them open up the bridge gate side for spring bear.... that would be awesome.

:yeah: I would definitely put in for kapowsin spring bear if they opened bridge gate

Offline elkh8me

• Scout
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
I purchased the new pass on the 17th and have not got my new key yet.  Anyone received their key yet.  Normally it's a 2 day turn around.

Offline Thehowler

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
Haven't received mine yet either. Bought mine the morning they went on sale.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
I got mine yesterday

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
:bash:   Shhhhhhhh, let's get our permits before we bring this up!!!  It went so long to, I thought we had a chance of the changes not getting posted on here......slim chance but a chance.
:chuckle: we were just talking about this, haha, I was really hoping not to see this pop up on here, went longer than I expected, haha
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
:bash:   Shhhhhhhh, let's get our permits before we bring this up!!!  It went so long to, I thought we had a chance of the changes not getting posted on here......slim chance but a chance.
:chuckle: we were just talking about this, haha, I was really hoping not to see this pop up on here, went longer than I expected, haha
Yeah, we knew it would pop up!  At least it didn't impact the pass sales.

Offline cem3434

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, DU, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
I don't think most aren't willing or can't afford to pay $375 for tough deer hunting and about a 1:150 shot at drawing a primo elk tag. I also don't think most people buying the pass take advantage of the predator hunting and firewood opportunities. I fall into this category and stopped buying a permit about 4 years ago when they raised the price again.  :twocents:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline justyhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, Cedar River Bowmen
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
Yeah, we knew it would pop up!  At least it didn't impact the pass sales.

Ya , I don't think their changes had the desired impact they where looking for . It looks like sales are off even from last year . Last I looked Eatonville hasn't even sold half .

* Recent Topics

Sure babe, I don't mind you invading my reloading area. by Boss .300 winmag
[Today at 06:04:21 PM]

One More to go by boneaddict
[Today at 06:01:29 PM]

Glass for sale (added rangefinder) by mtn.goat
[Today at 06:01:12 PM]

If you have a little extra this year please consider. by h20hunter
[Today at 05:59:53 PM]

Gun deals sale aggregator by Special T
[Today at 05:58:20 PM]

M77 mk2 7mm , cz scorpion evo by tritt007