collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hammock?  (Read 11952 times)

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
Re: Hammock?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 10:32:03 PM »
See this is my point. 19oz. You still need to add under insulation. A ridgeline tarp. It just doesn't seem efficient..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTF, 37 oz with suspension, no over-tarp or under-insulation.

Ted, not meaning to troll you, just pointing out the need for suspension and it's weight.  Hope you enjoy the hammock.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 10:49:45 PM »
Lighter:  https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/shop/hammock-suspension/helios-suspension-system/ 

And this:  https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/shop/hammocks/singlenest-hammock/

20 oz. of mid-day napping without ants crawling on me. Not a sleeping system replacement for me.  Just luxury for when I don't mind carrying extra weight.
Agree Shawn. I had a local guy make me one, maybe one day I'll weigh it 😬😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
FTF, if you want to carry it in your pack, that Helios suspension is only 4 oz. Almost a pound lighter than full webbing straps. You can even set it low and glass from it!

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
might have to pick up that helios strap system. thanks for posting about that.

I have an eno doublenest, and picked up a hammock gear 0 degree quilt and a hammock gear tarp for this season. The quilt weighs just over 1lb, and the tarp is 7oz.

Ill weigh my entire sleep setup and let ya know what it all comes out to.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
I use my eno double for archery elk hunts and turkey season.  For me the quality of sleep in a hammock is better.

Also, being able to set up on a steep drainage to be on the elk first thing in the morning is critical.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
I use my eno double for archery elk hunts and turkey season.  For me the quality of sleep in a hammock is better.

Also, being able to set up on a steep drainage to be on the elk first thing in the morning is critical.

Nice setup Kodiak, have you ever ran it in bad weather?
AK 907

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
I've been in 20f at night with this set up. Wool layers and a ccf pad. I get pretty good rest.

I grew up hunting in Alaska sleeping mostly on the ground under a tarp so my hammock seems like the ritz.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
I have used the old surplus jungle hammocks that most of the camping and hunting hammocks have expanded from. They were easy to set up as long as you had two trees available, unlined so your back froze, tough on backs for people with spine issues, had netting to keep the skeeters, centipedes and scorpions out and great in places with a lot of snakes. Most now offer some lining for warmth.

Offline Elkhound

• Hunter
    • Big Game Bounty Hunters
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
A comfortable and warm hammock setup won't always be lighter than a quality 1 man tent, sleeping bag and pad. However, I cannot sleep flat on my back because of lower back pain and tend to sleep with my knees elevated or on my side when at home. I switched to an Eno Doublenest hammock and Eno Profly tarp setup up for archery elk last year........best thing I have ever done for backcountry sleeping. Must hang your hammock with a fairly significant "sag" and then position yourself at a slight angle. This will allow for a comfortable spot so you can sleep on your side or your back. I prefer a double hammock like the Doublenest (there are now many less expensive options on Amazon) so that I have more room for my feet when laying at an angle. Also, there is a new air pad by Klymit.....the Klymit Hammock V and it comes in an insulated and non insulated version. This is a great product designed to help with those cold spots if you don't want to go the underquilt route. You need something as a barrier from the cold air under the hammock. I love not having to find a flat spot for ground sleeping. If you use a pad with your hammock, you always have the option of sleeping on the ground if you don't have adequate trees....which I have never had to do. Hope this helps!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
I use a Hennessy Hammock expedition ultralight (the new version with the side zipper), mtn hardwear 20 degree down bag, a sea-to-summit ultralight pillow, and a thermarest prolite 3/4-length pad.  It's a combination I've honed over a lot of years of backpacking and camping and I absolutely love it.  I've found my full-length pads do tend to move around a bunch and wake me up, but the 3/4 stays perfectly underneath me.  I'm not sure if it's the shape, or the particular fabric of the specific pad or what, but I never have a problem with it moving.  The entire system (hammock, bag, pillow and pad) fits neatly into the sleeping bag compartment of my pack. 

I sleep like a baby in it unless it's mid-30s or colder at night.  If it's gonna be cold I fall back to my tent and full-length sleeping pad. 

I love it because of how comfortably I sleep in it.  But if you need a place to hang out when it's raining, or some space to live in to escape the mosquitos, etc., then a tent may be the way to go.  But trading weight and cost for living space and flexibility is the classic balance we have to deal with. 

Offline Saltdiver

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
Used a hammock exclusively when I lived in Hawaii for a year. So nice. I could camp for days out of a 10lb pack. Moved back to wa and always cold...I know some that use them, but if you watch those guys, they're always fidgeting and trying to find a way to warmer or more comfortable. Go with a tent/tarp/tipi. You'll be much happier in Washington weather

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]