collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are stocked trout genetically modified?  (Read 7683 times)

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Are stocked trout genetically modified?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
The normal method to transfer genetic material across generations (from parent to child) is called vertical genetic transfer (VGT).  But there is another method (called HGT, or horizontal genetic transfer), which is essentially what produces GMOs.  Think of it this way: If the DNA from an alien organism (such as a bacteria) invades your body, reproduces, and continues to modify your DNA in subsequent generations, then you would have experienced horizontal genetic transfer.

This was a big deal in 2015, when researchers found evidence of nearly 150 cases of HGT in homo sapiens.  Yes, human beings carry about 150 (probably much more) instances of changes to our DNA from non-mammalian sources (mostly bacteria, but also fungi and insects).  Thus, we humans beings are ourselves "genetically modified."

There is a pretty simple explanation here:
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150619-there-is-alien-dna-inside-you

The moral to the story is this: Don't freak out about GMOs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Don't know the answer but would have to say that stocked trout are about the only fish I wont eat.  Never ate a stocked trout that I felt tasted very good. 

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
Thank Tiger, a lot of mis-information out there.

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
Don't know the answer but would have to say that stocked trout are about the only fish I wont eat.  Never ate a stocked trout that I felt tasted very good.

They only taste good if you cook them fresh, once they're in your fridge for a couple weeks or so, there's a weird smell and taste in it. The only good tasting trout I ate were the trout from alpines lakes that I usually catch when hiking or scouting.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »

They only taste good if you cook them fresh, once they're in your fridge for a couple weeks or so, there's a weird smell and taste in it. The only good tasting trout I ate were the trout from alpines lakes that I usually catch when hiking or scouting.

Personally, I don't think it matters how fresh they are, most taste like crap to me.  IMO, it mostly matters what the fish have been eating and how long they have been eating real food. I haven't fished the Alpines, but the only two lakes I'll eat rainbows from are Banks and Lake Saint Claire in Lacey, and not all of them from these lakes, just the one's with deep rich coloring. Oh, Chelan rainbows weren't too muddy tasting.

Niw, the Chars are a different story, never had one I didn't like, though Lake Trout can often be blah tasting.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
I think genetics determine whether or not a trout tastes good or not. 99% of state planted rainbow trout have poor genetics and are the main reason the meat is white,tasteless and mushy. The quality strains of trout with high oil content and pink meat eat the same feed as the white tasteless ones. There are only a very few select lakes that receive quality trout. Not sure why the state doesn't produce better quality fish when they could easily do so :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
I think genetics determine whether or not a trout tastes good or not. 99% of state planted rainbow trout have poor genetics and are the main reason the meat is white,tasteless and mushy. The quality strains of trout with high oil content and pink meat eat the same feed as the white tasteless ones. There are only a very few select lakes that receive quality trout. Not sure why the state doesn't produce better quality fish when they could easily do so :twocents:

It's much cheaper to feed them with cheap corn and stuff

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
Slingshot, How do you know the state stocked trout have poor genetics?  Tell me more about how genetics contribute to taste?  Sounds like you know a lot about everything.  Maybe you could also tell us about these "lakes" that receive quality trout.  You are a wealth of information my friend so please let the state know how they could easily raise the best quality trout.

Hey Tiger could you please give the state a little more info on where to get the great feed for trout so they don't have to feed the cheap stuff???

You both are great entertainment  :chuckle: :twocents:

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 09:06:59 PM »

With trout it is much more likely diet than genetics making for poor quality flesh. Stockers typically have poor quality flesh in general because the most fish were produced for the least $, but if given a season in the wild eating natural feed the fish is completely different. Even in the same lot of fish from a hatchery, when stocked in a pond, you will see a difference in preferred diet and a difference in flesh taste associated with diet. Cheaper feed brands typically make up protein and fat with cheaper sources of each, which is no longer fish based protein and fat. The higher quality feeds make a tremendous difference in flesh quality.  Producing fish is not a cheap endeavor and people typically would rather have quantity over quality. Easy one of those 7-11" stockers you get cost 1-3$ to produce and if you can save 15+% on feed that is a big difference. You can typically figure for each pound of fish produced it will take .8-1.1lbs of food, add in labor and facility costs...

Offline Roundhead

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
Whenever man intervenes with the natural reproduction process, the result is genetic modification.

If you hold that line, you won't eat about 99% of the things that come from a farm today.  Man created things like apples, rice, tomatoes and the vast majority of fruits and vegetables.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just stating the scientific fact.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »

With trout it is much more likely diet than genetics making for poor quality flesh. Stockers typically have poor quality flesh in general because the most fish were produced for the least $, but if given a season in the wild eating natural feed the fish is completely different. Even in the same lot of fish from a hatchery, when stocked in a pond, you will see a difference in preferred diet and a difference in flesh taste associated with diet. Cheaper feed brands typically make up protein and fat with cheaper sources of each, which is no longer fish based protein and fat. The higher quality feeds make a tremendous difference in flesh quality.  Producing fish is not a cheap endeavor and people typically would rather have quantity over quality. Easy one of those 7-11" stockers you get cost 1-3$ to produce and if you can save 15+% on feed that is a big difference. You can typically figure for each pound of fish produced it will take .8-1.1lbs of food, add in labor and facility costs...

:yeah: Very good info right there.

Some of the lakes around here used to get stocked with fish from Trout Lodge (private hatchery). They raise restaurant quality trout and I'm sure they use better feed.I think funding was provided by lake residents or other groups. The meat quality and color was far superior to standard planters. But expensive, and not feasible to do all the time.

I'd add that the longer fish have fed on a natural diet in the lake the better they generally taste. Lakes that get fry planted have better eating fish than those that get catchables. And some lakes with better food sources and water quality simply produce better tasting fish. :twocents:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:44:52 PM by Bullkllr »
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »

Ugh, can't do bold from my tablet.... "...for each pound of fished produced it will take .8-1.1lbs of food..." That is a helluva good conversion ratio, at .8 you can get more fish than you feed them. I don't think it works quite that way, even though fish are quite high on the feed conversion ratio, salmon needing 1.2-1.5 pounds of feed per pound of fish, chickens are about 1.8 and lamb is about 6.5. The higher the protein level/quality of feed, the more protein it will produce. If you can find a fish that puts on more weight than it eats, a 0.8 for example, you'd be able to feed the world.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
Slingshot, How do you know the state stocked trout have poor genetics?  Tell me more about how genetics contribute to taste?  Sounds like you know a lot about everything.  Maybe you could also tell us about these "lakes" that receive quality trout.  You are a wealth of information my friend so please let the state know how they could easily raise the best quality trout.

Hey Tiger could you please give the state a little more info on where to get the great feed for trout so they don't have to feed the cheap stuff???

You both are great entertainment  :chuckle: :twocents:

Didn't mean to come across as sounding like a know it all :rolleyes: I guess I should have stated that my "opinion" was based mainly on personal observation and from people I've known who have worked in both state hatchery and commercial fish farms.

If you truly work in this field you should know the questions you ask and also know Genetics come first. Donaldson trout ring a bell? But of coarse high protein feed and water quality is essential also.

An example of popular lakes stocked with quality trout that you should be aware of are Roosevelt,Ross,and Rufus.

I think more fishers prefer quality over quantity these days 
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
Just kidding with ya slingshot on the know it all comment...sorry.  I know a lot about genetics of trout and I am very familiar with those lakes.  They do not all receive quality fish...trust me.  However those bodies of water do have an abundance of good quality natural feed. 
Pink meat from a hatchery fish generally equals: either a older fish or a lot of "astaxanthin"  in the feed.  But.. hey... we could just call it better feed from the feed companies :chuckle:.
Lokidog- actually salmon and trout can convert at a .6 conversion at the fry stage.  I know it doesn't sound possible but it is. A lot depends on water temp and % protein fed like you said.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
No need to apologize HUNTINWA6PACK I'm used to it :chuckle: But wouldn't you also agree the state should upgrade most of their hatchery infrastructures in order to grow quality trout all over the state? Genetics and proper feed go hand in hand to produce excellent table fair. I know it's cost it's always cost,but with a little more investment and changes we could have long term quality trout fishing all over the state. Planting more trout fry in suitable lakes and growing quality trout to plant would really help out this state,especially since we've lost so many other fisheries in the past decade or two. 
NATURE HAS A WAY

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]