Advertisement

Poll

Which would you prefer for big game?

300 WSM
85 (90.4%)
6.5mm SAUM/PRC
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: 300 WSM?  (Read 27327 times)

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: 300 WSM?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
Thanks Karl - btw..that's a great book you've got there.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline PNW4Life

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
The 3B offers a bit more space over the Wyatt's, maybe not enough to justify the expense of switching though. I'm just now putting mine together and so it's an easy choice to get the longer 3B option and have the option to load out to 3.110"!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
The 3B offers a bit more space over the Wyatt's, maybe not enough to justify the expense of switching though. I'm just now putting mine together and so it's an easy choice to get the longer 3B option and have the option to load out to 3.110"!
If that box functions and feeds likenit should it will be a short action game changer for sure!

Offline PNW4Life

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
If that box functions and feeds likenit should it will be a short action game changer for sure!

I'm really hoping so! Should be awesome for running the heavies or pushing the lighter coppers a little bit faster. I'm hoping to hit an accuracy node somewhere over 3100fps with the 181gr Hammer Hunter.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna play with mag length seating depth before I make any changes.  Anything over 2,800 with that 212 and I'll be a happy guy so I've def got some wiggle room
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks Karl - btw..that's a great book you've got there.
haha.  My phone was dead and plugged in by the bed so had to do the photo shoot by the night stand.  Agreed though, I've got all Ryans books.  Love that hunting history and heritage.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna play with mag length seating depth before I make any changes.  Anything over 2,800 with that 212 and I'll be a happy guy so I've def got some wiggle room
I'm guessing you will be able to ram them deeper to mag length and keep the same load honestly. Both guns I've worked eld x in don't seek to mind seating depth much

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I'm guessing you will be able to ram them deeper to mag length and keep the same load honestly. Both guns I've worked eld x in don't seek to mind seating depth much
agreed.  This rifle shoots everything anyways..........well except ABLR :chuckle:

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
I'm running the 200grn eld x in my 300 rum right at 3100fps, I have shot 5 deer and 2 elk with that load. More time's than not there was know exit hole. I have not had a animal go more than 20 yds, the internal damage is devastating to say the least, I would not worrie about losing an animal by not having an exit hole

That's good to know. Sounds like had plenty of penetration and all the energy dumped in the critter do you mind sharing the ranges. I'm interested to know what velocity the bullet was running at impact where it didn't exit.

So the only exits were on animals over 550yds away, one on an elk at 585 and one on a deer at 682. And all the animals shot were lung and or heart shot broadside with only ribs hit, so very equal comparison besides distance. The first 2 deer I shot were identical in performance, they were both about 325 yds shot perfectly broadside through the lungs and the bullet stopped against the hide in the neck. Massive entrance hole and the lungs were vaporized. At first I wasn't sure if I was happy with the performance without an exit, but the more I think about it it's great. Much more internal damage done. So sure I could switch to a accubond and have a pass through. But I like the fact that ALL the energy is going into that animal, instead of through it.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
Scout - thanks for the field report. Good info.  I'm heading to SW Wyoming for spring bear this year and need to decide what bullet i'll be using here pretty quick.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
Scout - thanks for the field report. Good info.  I'm heading to SW Wyoming for spring bear this year and need to decide what bullet i'll be using here pretty quick.

180 accubonds are super unpicky in my experience and they are reputed to perform incredibly well on game
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
agreed.  This rifle shoots everything anyways..........well except ABLR :chuckle:

Your rifle have anything special with the chamber or just a standard sammi spec 300 wsm chamber?

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
How much will that nitride help with copper fouling from the hammer bullets?

The Nitriding probably won't have much of an impact on fouling. It does usually reduce bore friction enough to gain a couple extra FPS, kind of like running bullets coated with moly, WS-2 or HBN. I haven't seen any more fouling from the Hammers than from a standard jacketed bullet. They're significantly better than most of the Barnes TSX bullets I've shot, but I've never seen severe fouling from the Barnes either. :twocents:

I've probably shot more of the Hammer bullets than most. Here's what I've tested so far:

6mm
-88gr Hammer Hunter

- 152gr Sledge Hammer
- 181gr Hammer Hunter

- 186gr Sledge Hammer
- 225gr Sledge Hammer
- 255gr Sledge Hammer
- 260gr Hammer Hunter
- 282gr Sledge Hammer
- 304gr Hammer Hunter
- 307gr Hammer Hunter

With that idea in mind, not cranking the bullets too fast, I think I'll probably be favoring the 166/181gr Hammers and the faster clip the lighter bullet offers. I will probably have this 300 throated for the Hammers. Having talked with Steve on several occasions, I know there's no limit to impact velocity but just a recommended minimum of 1800fps. Hammer's a whole lot more responsive to customer requests and does some pretty serious R&D on bullets before offering them to the public, unless you're guinea pigging something of your own request/creation.
Over the years, I've learned a formula that's worked well for me:
high speed + large diameter = dead critters with soup for insides

You'd probably be happier with the 181gr over the 166gr Hammer. It's worth noting that it's a pretty long bullet. Here's a comparison of a couple heavy 308's that I have on hand to compare.

The Hammers have a high BC compared to other solid coppers but they're lower than a lot of the newer LR bullets. You may be disappointed by the BC of the 166gr at longer ranges but I'm a big fan of the Hammers as an all round hunting bullet. That's not to say that they aren't good at LR; I've shot the 304gr 338 Hammer to a little over 1500 yards from the 338 SnipeTac pistol with excellent accuracy, the BC just comes in a little lower than something like a Berger.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
If you would be interested I have a box of 100 210gr nosler LRAB, 40$ I will ship them to you, on game they perform exactly like the eld x.

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
If you would be interested I have a box of 100 210gr nosler LRAB, 40$ I will ship them to you, on game they perform exactly like the eld x.

They're hard to tell apart they're so close!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]