For when you only get one shot! Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Poll

Which would you prefer for big game?

300 WSM
71 (91%)
6.5mm SAUM/PRC
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: 300 WSM?  (Read 3682 times)

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: 300 WSM?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
Thanks Karl - btw..that's a great book you've got there.

Online PNW4Life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
The 3B offers a bit more space over the Wyatt's, maybe not enough to justify the expense of switching though. I'm just now putting mine together and so it's an easy choice to get the longer 3B option and have the option to load out to 3.110"!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire brigade
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
The 3B offers a bit more space over the Wyatt's, maybe not enough to justify the expense of switching though. I'm just now putting mine together and so it's an easy choice to get the longer 3B option and have the option to load out to 3.110"!
If that box functions and feeds likenit should it will be a short action game changer for sure!

Online PNW4Life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
If that box functions and feeds likenit should it will be a short action game changer for sure!

I'm really hoping so! Should be awesome for running the heavies or pushing the lighter coppers a little bit faster. I'm hoping to hit an accuracy node somewhere over 3100fps with the 181gr Hammer Hunter.

Offline BLRman

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna play with mag length seating depth before I make any changes.  Anything over 2,800 with that 212 and I'll be a happy guy so I've def got some wiggle room
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BLRman

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks Karl - btw..that's a great book you've got there.
haha.  My phone was dead and plugged in by the bed so had to do the photo shoot by the night stand.  Agreed though, I've got all Ryans books.  Love that hunting history and heritage.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire brigade
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna play with mag length seating depth before I make any changes.  Anything over 2,800 with that 212 and I'll be a happy guy so I've def got some wiggle room
I'm guessing you will be able to ram them deeper to mag length and keep the same load honestly. Both guns I've worked eld x in don't seek to mind seating depth much

Offline BLRman

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I'm guessing you will be able to ram them deeper to mag length and keep the same load honestly. Both guns I've worked eld x in don't seek to mind seating depth much
agreed.  This rifle shoots everything anyways..........well except ABLR :chuckle:

Offline The scout

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
I'm running the 200grn eld x in my 300 rum right at 3100fps, I have shot 5 deer and 2 elk with that load. More time's than not there was know exit hole. I have not had a animal go more than 20 yds, the internal damage is devastating to say the least, I would not worrie about losing an animal by not having an exit hole

That's good to know. Sounds like had plenty of penetration and all the energy dumped in the critter do you mind sharing the ranges. I'm interested to know what velocity the bullet was running at impact where it didn't exit.

So the only exits were on animals over 550yds away, one on an elk at 585 and one on a deer at 682. And all the animals shot were lung and or heart shot broadside with only ribs hit, so very equal comparison besides distance. The first 2 deer I shot were identical in performance, they were both about 325 yds shot perfectly broadside through the lungs and the bullet stopped against the hide in the neck. Massive entrance hole and the lungs were vaporized. At first I wasn't sure if I was happy with the performance without an exit, but the more I think about it it's great. Much more internal damage done. So sure I could switch to a accubond and have a pass through. But I like the fact that ALL the energy is going into that animal, instead of through it.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
Scout - thanks for the field report. Good info.  I'm heading to SW Wyoming for spring bear this year and need to decide what bullet i'll be using here pretty quick.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
Scout - thanks for the field report. Good info.  I'm heading to SW Wyoming for spring bear this year and need to decide what bullet i'll be using here pretty quick.

180 accubonds are super unpicky in my experience and they are reputed to perform incredibly well on game
“Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.”

Offline Reidus

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
agreed.  This rifle shoots everything anyways..........well except ABLR :chuckle:

Your rifle have anything special with the chamber or just a standard sammi spec 300 wsm chamber?

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
How much will that nitride help with copper fouling from the hammer bullets?

The Nitriding probably won't have much of an impact on fouling. It does usually reduce bore friction enough to gain a couple extra FPS, kind of like running bullets coated with moly, WS-2 or HBN. I haven't seen any more fouling from the Hammers than from a standard jacketed bullet. They're significantly better than most of the Barnes TSX bullets I've shot, but I've never seen severe fouling from the Barnes either. :twocents:

I've probably shot more of the Hammer bullets than most. Here's what I've tested so far:

6mm
-88gr Hammer Hunter

- 152gr Sledge Hammer
- 181gr Hammer Hunter

- 186gr Sledge Hammer
- 225gr Sledge Hammer
- 255gr Sledge Hammer
- 260gr Hammer Hunter
- 282gr Sledge Hammer
- 304gr Hammer Hunter
- 307gr Hammer Hunter

With that idea in mind, not cranking the bullets too fast, I think I'll probably be favoring the 166/181gr Hammers and the faster clip the lighter bullet offers. I will probably have this 300 throated for the Hammers. Having talked with Steve on several occasions, I know there's no limit to impact velocity but just a recommended minimum of 1800fps. Hammer's a whole lot more responsive to customer requests and does some pretty serious R&D on bullets before offering them to the public, unless you're guinea pigging something of your own request/creation.
Over the years, I've learned a formula that's worked well for me:
high speed + large diameter = dead critters with soup for insides

You'd probably be happier with the 181gr over the 166gr Hammer. It's worth noting that it's a pretty long bullet. Here's a comparison of a couple heavy 308's that I have on hand to compare.

The Hammers have a high BC compared to other solid coppers but they're lower than a lot of the newer LR bullets. You may be disappointed by the BC of the 166gr at longer ranges but I'm a big fan of the Hammers as an all round hunting bullet. That's not to say that they aren't good at LR; I've shot the 304gr 338 Hammer to a little over 1500 yards from the 338 SnipeTac pistol with excellent accuracy, the BC just comes in a little lower than something like a Berger.

Offline The scout

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
If you would be interested I have a box of 100 210gr nosler LRAB, 40$ I will ship them to you, on game they perform exactly like the eld x.

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
If you would be interested I have a box of 100 210gr nosler LRAB, 40$ I will ship them to you, on game they perform exactly like the eld x.

They're hard to tell apart they're so close!

Offline The scout

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »

They're hard to tell apart they're so close!

Yes they are.  Bothof those bullets I have recovered from game have looked just like those, I wasn't crazy about the LRAB because I had to slow them way down to get them to group well, and the eld x was th easiest load to develop I have done and most accurate

Online PNW4Life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
How much will that nitride help with copper fouling from the hammer bullets?

The Nitriding probably won't have much of an impact on fouling. It does usually reduce bore friction enough to gain a couple extra FPS, kind of like running bullets coated with moly, WS-2 or HBN. I haven't seen any more fouling from the Hammers than from a standard jacketed bullet. They're significantly better than most of the Barnes TSX bullets I've shot, but I've never seen severe fouling from the Barnes either. :twocents:

I've probably shot more of the Hammer bullets than most. Here's what I've tested so far:

6mm
-88gr Hammer Hunter

- 152gr Sledge Hammer
- 181gr Hammer Hunter

- 186gr Sledge Hammer
- 225gr Sledge Hammer
- 255gr Sledge Hammer
- 260gr Hammer Hunter
- 282gr Sledge Hammer
- 304gr Hammer Hunter
- 307gr Hammer Hunter

With that idea in mind, not cranking the bullets too fast, I think I'll probably be favoring the 166/181gr Hammers and the faster clip the lighter bullet offers. I will probably have this 300 throated for the Hammers. Having talked with Steve on several occasions, I know there's no limit to impact velocity but just a recommended minimum of 1800fps. Hammer's a whole lot more responsive to customer requests and does some pretty serious R&D on bullets before offering them to the public, unless you're guinea pigging something of your own request/creation.
Over the years, I've learned a formula that's worked well for me:
high speed + large diameter = dead critters with soup for insides

You'd probably be happier with the 181gr over the 166gr Hammer. It's worth noting that it's a pretty long bullet. Here's a comparison of a couple heavy 308's that I have on hand to compare.

The Hammers have a high BC compared to other solid coppers but they're lower than a lot of the newer LR bullets. You may be disappointed by the BC of the 166gr at longer ranges but I'm a big fan of the Hammers as an all round hunting bullet. That's not to say that they aren't good at LR; I've shot the 304gr 338 Hammer to a little over 1500 yards from the 338 SnipeTac pistol with excellent accuracy, the BC just comes in a little lower than something like a Berger.

You wouldn't happen to be friends with Ean Vargas, would you? He told me he had a buddy that was working with Steve, getting bullets tested and favored a beautiful Russo stocked 338 SnipeTac pistol... the video of him shooting it was impressive!

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »

You wouldn't happen to be friends with Ean Vargas, would you? He told me he had a buddy that was working with Steve, getting bullets tested and favored a beautiful Russo stocked 338 SnipeTac pistol... the video of him shooting it was impressive!

It's a shame Ean missed the 100 yard target in that video. :chuckle: I taught Ean everything he knows and a lot of stuff he doesn't remember.

Online PNW4Life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »

It's a shame Ean missed the 100 yard target in that video. :chuckle: I taught Ean everything he knows and a lot of stuff he doesn't remember.

I'll have to hassle him about missing the next time I talk to him haha
Have you done very extensive testing with the 181gr into leather for penetration?

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »

I'll have to hassle him about missing the next time I talk to him haha
Have you done very extensive testing with the 181gr into leather for penetration?
[/quote]

I haven't yet but they're on the to do list. So far the Hammer Hunters have penetrated farther than almost all the other bullets I've tested. To be fair though, that's because the petals break off and the remaining portion of the shank continues on without the same resistance as an expanded bullet. So far nothing has out penetrated the 300gr Scenar though. It's a shame that one tumbled and didn't expand. :chuckle:

Online PNW4Life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
Do you have any on-game performance experiences with the Hammers?
I'm a little bit concerned that tissue damage might be less than optimal if it's dropping petals from impact. Do you have an opinion on this?

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
I don't, there are a lot of others who do have first hand experience though. I'm a big fan of the 2 holes theory of bullet performance; one to let the air in and one to let the blood out. In the testing I've done, the pieces of the petals that shear off about 4" into penetration and are large enough that they'd do some significant damage as they radiate away from the bullet shank. This would give you some serious shock while the shank carries on to ensure good penetration and an exit hole.

The owners of Hammer bullets are very responsive to questions if you wanted to reach out to them. They also have their own forum where they're really quick to respond. Plus there's a lot of good info from other guys who've shot game with the Hammers.
http://hammerbullets.boards.net/forum

Offline Jonathan_S

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
I haven't killed hundreds of animals like some and I haven't ever spent much time recovering bullets unless they were obvious.

That said, I think expansion is over rated in many cases. So many other factors in terminal performance, let alone shot placement kill animals. This test that yorke is sharing is really valuable and o appreciate it as much as anybody. My only point is that people shouldn't think that only the most expanded bullets kill game.

I've had deer with pencil holes in both sides but they tip over from jellied lungs.
“Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.”

Online PNW4Life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
I don't, there are a lot of others who do have first hand experience though. I'm a big fan of the 2 holes theory of bullet performance; one to let the air in and one to let the blood out. In the testing I've done, the pieces of the petals that shear off about 4" into penetration and are large enough that they'd do some significant damage as they radiate away from the bullet shank. This would give you some serious shock while the shank carries on to ensure good penetration and an exit hole.

The owners of Hammer bullets are very responsive to questions if you wanted to reach out to them. They also have their own forum where they're really quick to respond. Plus there's a lot of good info from other guys who've shot game with the Hammers.
http://hammerbullets.boards.net/forum

I've messaged with Steve at length about his bullets and am actually on the hammer site as "wilkup" =)

* Recent Topics

NFL Draft Thread by funkster
[Today at 12:57:33 PM]

Copper in barrel of new tikka t3? by high country
[Today at 12:56:05 PM]

Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP by PNW4Life
[Today at 12:49:11 PM]

Fun thread, pic of oldest gun you own and back story if there is one by MADMAX
[Today at 12:41:55 PM]

Time for the Grizzly? by Eric M
[Today at 12:30:43 PM]

land surveyor needed south king co by NW SURVEYOR