collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colville national forest  (Read 18606 times)

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Colville national forest
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
Doing some hard research on lots of places to go on my first deer hunt this year and after getting steered away from the Methow  I've come across colville national forest. My question is while looking for nice spots should I consider using one of the hiking trails and then getting off the trail somewhere that looks promising or is there some reason I should completely stay out of the way of trails? Sorry if this is dumb question just looking for more info. I know that area holds deer and I know I can hunt in national forest.

So anyways yeah thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:04:04 PM by Scheindogg »
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Re: Colville national forest
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
look for sign then get at least 1/2 mile from the truck in a place where you can see a good ways.  Hunting behind locked gates will usually get you to an old logged area that will hold deer.

good luck

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
If you see an area that interests you , go there. Whether there is a trail or not.

FWIW, I scanned through your Methow thread and all the info you received in there was spot on and most dudes sharing advice cut their teeth in there and then some. I know you may be Leary of BS being new here but I would say 95% or more of info shared is legit and typically , if someone is feeding you a line of bull, it's obvious. :twocents:

Almost time to lace em' up and get out there! :tup:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
look for sign then get at least 1/2 mile from the truck in a place where you can see a good ways.  Hunting behind locked gates will usually get you to an old logged area that will hold deer.

good luck

Do you mean hike a half a mile (atleast) into an area with a clear cut like a meadow or that type of thing by when you said somewhere you can see a way?
And what exactly do you mean old logged area? Like lots of fallen trees etc?

Sorry if these are terrrible questions  :dunno:

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
If you see an area that interests you , go there. Whether there is a trail or not.

FWIW, I scanned through your Methow thread and all the info you received in there was spot on and most dudes sharing advice cut their teeth in there and then some. I know you may be Leary of BS being new here but I would say 95% or more of info shared is legit and typically , if someone is feeding you a line of bull, it's obvious. :twocents:

. I just get a feeling that even after all that's gone on over there, there will still be a high harvest rate in the end and I'll regret not checking it out like I first thought . I'm not saying they're trying to screw me over Or anything like that

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:06:23 PM by Scheindogg »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
GOOD NEWS! There's probably not one square mile of CNF that doesn't have deer.  :twocents:

The whitetail herd is down due to blue tongue a couple years ago, mule deer are limited due to predators, but there are probably still more deer than most other areas of Washington. Literally, pick a camp spot, set up camp and go hunting. There are lots of ways to hunt whitetails. You can take a stand and watch game trails or feeding areas, you can hike into remote areas and ridges, glass hillsides or logging cuts, hunt scrapes and rubs, put out feed for bait, hunt farm fields or crops (with permission), still hunt forest trails and closed roads, rattle antlers, grunt, or even drive mountain logging roads, any of those methods can be successful.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
GOOD NEWS! There's probably not one square mile of CNF that doesn't have deer.  :twocents:

The whitetail herd is down due to blue tongue a couple years ago, mule deer are limited due to predators, but there are probably still more deer than most other areas of Washington. Literally, pick a camp spot, set up camp and go hunting. There are lots of ways to hunt whitetails. You can take a stand and watch game trails or feeding areas, you can hike into remote areas and ridges, glass hillsides or logging cuts, hunt scrapes and rubs, put out feed for bait, hunt farm fields or crops (with permission), still hunt forest trails and closed roads, rattle antlers, grunt, or even drive mountain logging roads, any of those methods can be successful.

This is terrific thank you!! So do you also think if I went in general season and/or late season both would be equally effective times to go?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:58 PM »
late season is pretty crowded for modern but folks are still putting deer on the poles, the ones that aren't sleeping in drinking  :chuckle:

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
The forest is pretty huge, is there certain areas it's crowded or the whole thing?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:19 PM »
GMU 105 mostly due to the late buck modern

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:53 AM »
The units which are open during late buck are the most crowded, it's less crowded everywhere early season, however more big bucks are killed late season in spite of hunting pressure. If you want mule deer concentrate on higher mountain tops and it's only open for them in early season, whitetails are almost everywhere and open both seasons. Whitetails are pretty crafty, you need to put yourself in full stealth mode. I think 121 and 124 have the highest deer population, but really there is good hunting in any NE unit.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:20:23 AM »
After posting I remembered there is no USFS lands in either of those two units, 121, 124, but there is state and timber company lands. If you plan to hunt Inland Paper you will need a permit, look up their website for a list of retail locations that sell permits. There is USFS lands in all the other NE units.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
Thanks!! You guys are great! I did notice gmu 101 has a lot of usfs land in its unit so that might be a good area to check out some of the mountain tops early season. And then some of the lower areas for white tail late season (I also noticed 101 has very high deer harvest and very large square mileage so I think that could be a good area to roam around til I find an area I like)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »
Scheindogg - Gotta say, I admire how much pre-season effort you're putting into this.

Get out this summer and hike these areas and good luck!

Not sure if it's within your means but a guided hunt for your first hunt may be a good option too.  Regardless, I think you're on the right track and I wish you success.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
Hey well I like to put in a lot of research into it buecause it's already an addiction of mine so if I'm gonna get started I want to get started right. I realize my chance of success is low but I'd rather have it my self in position to have success sooner rather than later so I don't get too discouraged of season after season after season with no deer even being seen, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately I won't be able to be hiring a guide because I am a 24yo husband and dad and don't have the... uhh... financial means for that  :dunno:.

As for scouring in the summer that does seem very likely. I also have a friend who grew up hunting in Virginia and has lived here for 20 years and has been hunting here too so he has about 30years of hunting experience I will atleast bring him along for pointers 😁

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1