collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any one else draw Monroe  (Read 19244 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Any one else draw Monroe
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
I had a pretty fun story.

First flat, no service, jack slipped and broke.  I pounded it back together on a rock (can't believe it worked) and it kind of haphazardly functioned.  I got the truck up a little bit and then decided it was risky to go up further, so we dug down under the slightly raised tire to clear enough room below it to put the spare on.  Digging down on a shale logging road, in the rain, using rocks, is about the worst thing ever.  Finally got that tire changed and drove home carefully.

The next one I had a floor jack and 2 spares in the back (and still hadnt fixed the original tire because it was the next day, so I was still running on my first spare).  When I got my second flat, I had the car jacked up before the air had fully left the tire.  My 2 spares were also GM 6 lugs, but it turns out they were a different diameter pattern.  Yes, I'm an idiot.  Then Dinker came up to save me with his spare on his older GM truck.  He has 16" rim spare, I have 17" rims.  The bolt pattern is identical.  Turns out, my Z71 stupid brakes take up all of that 17" diameter volume and his spare didn't fit.  Being enterprising lads, we turned the steelie tire around and put it on backwards so that the rim didn't have to envelop the brakes.  We drove out of there real slow with an inside out tire and about 35mph the whole way home.  What a trainwreck.  I went from thinking I was overly prepared to being hosed twice.  At least I had cell service (barely) the second time.

I get the discount tire warranty and was very pleased to be able to use it twice within the first year of getting my tires.  Makes me feel like I got my money's worth.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
I was 20 miles up Rock Creek Road outside of Missoula one summer on a solo fly fishing trip.  I got a flat, changed it, drove about another mile, and got another.  There is NOTHING on that road for miles and miles.  Luckily, a guy and his wife came by.  I had a plug kit, and they had a compressor that plugs into the lighter socket.  We made it work and I got back to Missoula.  For about an hour I was wondering if I would have to walk a good 10 miles to find someone.  I now travel with a fully loaded tire repair kit and a compressor of my own. 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
 :dunno:

Cmon people....where is the Monroe hunters and some trophy pics?

Offline Crosshair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
It's not looking to good as of this weekend. I am sure there are some around but not where I have been. We have walked some good roads and no sign at all up to this point.

Offline Crosshair

• Pilgrim
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
Ready to call on some people with knowledge!!!!

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
I heard a rumor that the spring hunters can only hunt the state land this year. Is that true, or can you hunt tree farm still?
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »
:dunno:

Cmon people....where is the Monroe hunters and some trophy pics?
Seriously.  Ran across a ton of piles in a new area this weekend.  Getting itchy for Aug. 1.

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
I hope you guys make good on the Monroe tags. I spoke with a GW this last weekend and he mentioned this will be the last year for the Monroe spring bear tags. Make it count this year!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »
Sorry come again?  >:(

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
He mentioned the Monroe spring bear hunt was setup to be a damage control hunt and a study showed the spring bear hunt did not help with damage control and actually had an adverse effect by having hunters scare bears into towns. He mentioned two active bear incidents in towns close to the unit involving two different bears. He mentioned more details that I can type out later. I sent an email out to WDFW to see if I can get more info on this. I will share the response when I get one.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
 Ehhhh sounds a little far fetched to me  :dunno: so many hunters that the bear are getting driven out of the woods and into town ??? At this time of year there are more day hikers with kids and dogs then hunters in the woods .

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
Overall bear population would have significantly more impact on moving bears into town than hunting pressure.  :twocents:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2017, 05:42:21 AM »
I did find in interesting (disturbing maybe) that Spring Bear 2018 was left out of the new regs.

I sure hope you're just blowing smoke jk......
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
I certainly wouldn't trust that JKThomps guy.   :chuckle:

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
Not blowing smoke... just thought I would let you guys know what the game warden said.

It wasn't just the number of hunters forcing bears into populated areas, there was a lot more to the study of the specific unit and the damage control did not do what it was intended to do.

Like I said, will post the response I get back from WDFW. Heck, maybe they will get rid of the draw all together and make it OTC spring bear.  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal