collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any one else draw Monroe  (Read 19230 times)

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Any one else draw Monroe
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »
I certainly wouldn't trust that JKThomps guy.   :chuckle:

:chuckle: We are going to have so much fun in Montana   :tup:

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
Oh, the GW did have a Karelian Bear Dog with him. Pretty amazing what these dogs can do. Just thought I would toss that out there  :tup:

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
This is from the current regs (page 68), so there are changes coming.

NEW! 2018 Spring Black Bear Special Permit Hunts will be announced November 2017.
Please check the WDFW web page at http://wdfw.wa.gov/ for the hunt area announcement.
Additionally, information will be provided to all vendors and licensed hunters.

WDFW is changing the timing for determining spring bear hunt areas and permit numbers. This will improve
alignment of management needs where it is most needed. Spring bear seasons are typically used to address
specific management needs, such as tree damage on industrial managed timberlands, nuisance and damage, or
to better distribute harvest. Bear seasons are assessed using trends in the percent female bears in the harvest, the
median age of harvested males and females, and total harvest.

Note: The Department will present any proposed changes to hunt areas, dates and
permits during the August Commission meeting.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
Not blowing smoke... just thought I would let you guys know what the game warden said.

It wasn't just the number of hunters forcing bears into populated areas, there was a lot more to the study of the specific unit and the damage control did not do what it was intended to do.

Like I said, will post the response I get back from WDFW. Heck, maybe they will get rid of the draw all together and make it OTC spring bear.  :dunno:
:yeah:
There is relatively low damage in the area. In addition to that there has been very low harvest rates.

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I just got off the phone with WDFW and DNR. WDFW advised me that the Monroe draw is controlled by DNR. I was transferred to DNR's Recreation/Conservation department and left a message for a call back. I will post back what the DNR has to say about it.  :bash:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
 :tup: thx for the legwork.

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
:tup: thx for the legwork.

No problem. Unfortunately, I could not get a solid yes or no, but below is what I could dig up.

DNR conversation summary:
DNR does not manage the actual hunt, they manage the land/timber areas, and the DNR will make recommendations to WDFW if they need bears removed in the spring (damage control). The private land owners also make recommendations to WDFW if they need bear control to happen. The larger land owners (i.e. Tacoma Power), manage their own lands and will ask WDFW to open certain areas up for spring bear damage control. WDFW conducts studies in the area and determine how many tags each unit should receive based off of the damage, the number of bears, and the number of bears taken in the past (if/when it is/was open).

WDFW usually sets seasons in 3 year increments. 2017 is the end of the seasons that were set for the past three years (2015, 2016, 2017), and 2018 is the start of the next three years (2018, 2019, 2020). It is very possible that the Monroe spring bear hunt will be closed because the past three seasons did not prove to assist with the damage control, and the number of bears harvested during the spring season, in the Monroe unit, is relatively low on a percentage basis.

However, at this time, the season is not 100% determined to be closed. There will be opportunities for the public to make recommendations during the 2018-2020 hunting season setting process.

I was then referred to the following information on the WDFW website. http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/seasonsetting/

2018-2020 Hunting Season Setting Process

As outlined in the timeline below, there will be several opportunities for you to provide your input throughout the process. Your first opportunity to participate will be in late-June. The Department has asked for your help identifying the major issues that are important to you for the next three-year hunting season cycle.

Watch this website for regular updates on the season-setting process!  We will also be communicating via email throughout this process to hunters that have purchased a license within the last couple of years. If you have not recently purchased a hunting license, but would like to receive email notifications of news and upcoming events we encourage you to subscribe to our e-mail distribution lists.
Season Setting Timeline:

Regions Submit 3-Year Hunting Season Setting Ideas: May – June 2017

WDFW Regions submit 2018-2020 three-year Hunting Season Setting ideas.  Regional ideas will be incorporated with ideas received from the public since the last 3-year hunting season setting process.  The public will have an opportunity to submit new ideas through the public survey in mid-July through August.

Formulate Recommendations and Alternatives: July – August 2017

Members of the public will have an opportunity to give comment that would help shape the 2018-2020 hunting seasons at a series of public "open house" meetings planned by the WDFW in July and August.  Public can also provide comment online from July 14 2017 through August 31,2017.  Public comments received at the meetings and through the survey will help the Department understand the level of support for the proposed hunting regulations for 2018-20.  The Department wants to hear people's concerns, especially those that address a significant conservation or management issue.

Public Comment Period: July 14, 2017 – August 31, 2017

Public Meetings will be held from 7-9 p.m. (sign in begins at 6:30 p.m.) at the following locations:
Date   City   Address
July 25    Spokane Valley   Center Place Regional Events Center, Conference Room 110, 2426 N Discovery Place, Spokane Valley, WA 99216
July 26    Wenatchee    Wenatchee Convention Center, Fuji Rooms (lower level), 121 N. Wenatchee Avenue, Wenatchee, WA 98801
July 27    Yakima   Fair Bridge Inn, Suites & Conference Center, 1507 N. 1st Street, Yakima, WA 98901
Aug 1    Everett    Lynnwood Convention Center, 3711 196th Street SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036
Aug 2    Olympia   Red Lion Hotel, 2300 Evergreen Park Drive, Olympia, WA 98502
Aug 3   Vancouver    Heathman Lodge, Howard/Marshall Conference Room, 7801 NE Greenwood Dr., Vancouver WA 98662

Following public comment, Department staff will develop recommendations for consideration by the Fish and Wildlife Commission in March and adoption in April 2018. These recommendations will be based on the biological needs of a species and the social need of the public gathered through the comment period.

I called WDFW back and confirmed that the information I received from DNR is accurate. So, it is WDFW that manages the actual hunt and number of tags and seasons, and it is DNR and private land owners that ask for the spring seasons to be open.

What I got out of this is there is a possibility that the spring bear season will end in the Monroe unit, and there is a possibility it will not. After the conversation I had the GW, the studies that have been conducted, discussions with DNR and WDFW, and the end of the 2015 – 2017 set seasons I would not be surprised if it is closed. I recommend hunters voice their opinions at these meetings.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
WOW Jimmy, I didn't know you had that in you!
Great summary and thanks for following up!

Offline kckrawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
WOW Jimmy, I didn't know you had that in you!
Great summary and thanks for following up!

:yeah: Nice of you to dig deeper into this, looks like the smoke has cleared. :tup:

It sure would be a shame if this hunt goes away though...
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline Trevor91

• Pilgrim
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
Come on guys we are seriously slack on getting bears on the ground! the Skagit boys are making us look bad.

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Saw a sow and cub yesterday between Granite Falls and Lake Rosiger. Hoping to see some bears down soon. Give me hope for fall  :IBCOOL:

Offline Sharp shooter

• Tracker
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Haven't been on in a while
I'm 3 tires deep now
The sign is starting to show up and there out and about I passed on my first bear this morning had milk on its lips

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
What's going on with the Monroe tag holders ?

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
It's been three years since I had the tag but if any tag holders need a spot to check out hit me up!   Text me best.   425 346 9941.

Offline Trevor91

• Pilgrim
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
I have now seen 7 bears. Passed on the first one I saw it was way to small. Then a handful I never had a chance at. Two weeks ago I shot at a bruiser but missed judge the yardage by a ways.......  :bash:. Then last week had another chance at a good bear and my rifle jammed. So that is how my Monroe spring bear tag has gone. I have been doomed to only coming close to shooting bears but not able to connect with them. That being said I have spent almost every day in the woods since may. With a few days missed here and there.
What's going on with the Monroe tag holders ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]