collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrow weight and camo  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Slow73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Arrow weight and camo
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:13:10 PM »
Hi all I have two questions:

a) I'm a little confused about arrow weight. I will be shooting 250 grain CE Piledriver Hunter with 100 grain G5 Montecs. By my math that equals 350 grains but seems that's not so when I read others who are shooting similar weight arrows and heads. They seem to get a heavier weighted setup. Why is that?

b) What is a good camo pattern for the early bow season around here? I'm thinking Mossyoak Obsession or Realtree Xtra Green. I will mostly likely be hunting from the ground employing a fabric blind. What do you suggest?

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
Re: Arrow weight and camo
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:19:18 PM »
I think your look at spine. Look at how many grn per inch (gpi) the arrows are. State has a min arrow weight.

As to camo any really unless your after turkey. Turkey have very good sight. Deer and elk can't see colors like we do. Look for a pattern to helps break up your out line

Offline Redbeard

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
I believe you are at 10.4 grains per inch. Multiply your arrow length by 10.4 and add broad head weight.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/archery/hunting-arrows/piledriver--hunter

Offline Slow73

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
I believe you are at 10.4 grains per inch. Multiply your arrow length by 10.4 and add broad head weight.

Yeah I did that but was coming up short from what they were stating. Oh well look like I'll have well over 400 gr.

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Really need more info, arrow length mostly.

demontang is right.  The 250 on the shaft refers to the spine of the shaft.  The grains per inch should be on the shaft in really small print.  If not it's available on their website.  Real quick, spine refers to the flexibility of the shaft.  The 250 ought to be good to about 60 lbs at 29".  Remember to do the calculation for adjusted peak weight of the bow.  It does matter!   :tup:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Old Dog

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »

Yeah I did that but was coming up short from what they were stating. Oh well look like I'll have well over 400 gr.

Did you add the 25 grains for the components?  :dunno:

Offline Old Dog

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:22 AM »
As for the camo...it really doesn't matter.  Back in the day we killed plenty of animals wearing red  and black checked mackinaws.   :chuckle:  Breaking up your outline is what's important.  Any forest type camo will work on the west side. 

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »

Blazer vane 6 grains X 3 = 18 grains
Insert = 11 grains
Bulldog Collar = 4 grains
Launchpad Nock = 10 grains
Total = 43 grains
perhaps some glue weight so figure 45 grains

I've seen Montec vary in weight out of package too.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Slow73

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

Ahh that. That's prolly where the extra weight I'm seeing is coming from.  :bash:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
Just throwing this out FYI.  Heavier arrow set ups (total weight of 450 GNs and up) are better for many reasons (better penetration, make your bow quieter/less vibration as they absorb the bow's stored energy better, and are arguably easier to tune).  Camo?  Pattern is not nearly as important as material!  Get clothing that can be layered for maximum effectiveness, and, ensure you have good moisture wicking base and mid layers (merino wool or poly/poly blend).     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:45 AM »
For camo this is what I got with for early season and if it's cold I throw on long underwear underneath. This is my all time favorite early season camo I have worn. It's super quiet literally I can not hear it at all. I wear the silent hunter pants as well. Good camo at a very reasonable price. I'm going to order another pair because I lost quite a bit of weight and need to buy large. I like the chest pocket in the shirt, usually keep my range finder around my neck but inside the pocket to keep the weight off so it's not annoying and then it's accessible as well.
http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-apparel/rocky-silenthunter-1%2F4-zip-shirt/600546.html?dwvar_600546_color=AP#pmin=0&sz=20&start=1

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:26 AM »
Camo - I have pretty strict requirements.  What ever pattern is on sale. 

Offline Slow73

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 01:17:06 AM »
Thanks all for the responses. After reading the replies I'm certain my arrows are now closer to 400gr. Wish I could have asked this question earlier because I would have gotten the 350's instead but CE recommended the 250's based on my set up. I'm am already invested in a dozen 250 Piledrivers so ain't no changing now lol. And as far as the camo yall have really helped to calm my nerves about desperately trying to perfectly match my surrounding since I'm a ground hunter and will choose based on potential noise, price and availability. What about clothing with supposed scentlock built in? Waste of money?

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Thanks all for the responses. After reading the replies I'm certain my arrows are now closer to 400gr. Wish I could have asked this question earlier because I would have gotten the 350's instead but CE recommended the 250's based on my set up. I'm am already invested in a dozen 250 Piledrivers so ain't no changing now lol. And as far as the camo yall have really helped to calm my nerves about desperately trying to perfectly match my surrounding since I'm a ground hunter and will choose based on potential noise, price and availability. What about clothing with supposed scentlock built in? Waste of money?

It depends on who you talk to on the sent blocker. 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »

I've had great results wearing layered clothing, merino baselayers, fleece and then a less permeable outer shell. Avoiding sweating, eating spiced foods, scented deodorant, and breathing through your nose probably make the biggest difference along with what you wash your clothes with.

If a deer is downwind, he'll probably smell you but when and how clearly is why we go to great lengths to control our scent. Reality is, you can't always have the wind in your face and that's why we take those measures.

As far as perfectly matching your surroundings, don't break a sweat or your budget. Break up your outline and be still. Those are more important than patterns or price
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]