collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrow weight and camo  (Read 4041 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Arrow weight and camo
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
I think it was Gerry Blair who set up and called in predators to within feet of himself while wearing a Santa suit to make the point that it is imperative to stay still and illustrate that all the latest camo patterns are way over rated. 

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
What about clothing with supposed scentlock built in? Waste of money?
In a word, yes. There's not much hunting in the western United States that won't have you doing tome huffing and puffing. As soon as you break a sweat your putting out odor your clothing can't control. Get a puffer bottle with powdered smoke and you'll be far better off than investing in Scent Blocker type clothing. 

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
For arrows,as long as you can hit where you aim on a regular basis and have a sharp broadhead your good.For camo,fleece is best.Early season no base layer,Late season merino wool underneath.I don't worry about scent at all.Move slow,soft steps.Animals will hear or see your movement long before they smell you.Might be different in a blind.I hunt 100% spot and stalk.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
I agree. Imo with Archery use wind as your advantage. I don't use any scent lock clothing. I do wash my hunting camo before season with scent killer detergent. And spray down a bit with scent killer spray. I've had deer walk 3 feet from me while on the ground and lick my ladder on my treestand. I love the camo I linked in my previous reply because you literally can't hear it. It is not water resistant though so you will get wet. But early season being wet for me isn't a huge issue. Sound and movement are your 2 biggest factors. Those are the only 2 things that I've noticed I get busted by from deer. Elk if they are down wind odds are your busted regardless of what you wear. No need to buy camo that's 150-200 a piece. Invest is really good boots and good thermals that wick moister for the colder days. Or multiple boots. I have my heavy duty boots and my light hikers for most days for when it's nice out.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 05:47:30 AM »
Fleece on the wet side gets hung up in every blackberry vine you get near.  That makes more noise than fleece prevents.  I will put up with a bit noisier clothing that is not hung up like Velcro in black berries.

Offline Redbeard

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
Yes I stand corrected. Arrow components do add some weight add can affect your FOC. I use a reloading scale to sort my arrows with broad heads.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]