collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHA Stream Access Pledge  (Read 3409 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
BHA Stream Access Pledge
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
It just takes a couple minutes...
Stream Access Now Pledge!

All Americans should have the opportunity to enjoy our nation’s great outdoors. Access to our rivers and streams is crucial to upholding our outdoor traditions. While private property rights must be respected, I believe that everyone should be able to access our rivers and streams. The ability to hunt, fish and float these waterways should not depend on an individual’s economic means or social standing. I pledge to defend our opportunities to access America’s waterways and to join others in sustaining our outdoor legacy.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/stream_access_now_pledge
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline cbond3318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: BHA Stream Access Pledge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »
 :tup:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
Thanks for adding this. 

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
I don't quite understand what signing this pledge means. Is there more?

Are  they saying we need access regardless of private property? So if for instance I own a property near a river on a good fishing hole people can just hang out in my front yard and walk back and forth across it every time they want to go to their truck that the parked up by the entrance to my driveway? In Washington people are already allowed to access most rivers via the river as long as they don't get on the riverbank, you just float down in a boat and stand in 2" of water if you want to get out.

No offense, but this pledge is to vague for me.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »

Are  they saying we need access regardless of private property? So if for instance I own a property near a river on a good fishing hole people can just hang out in my front yard and walk back and forth across it every time they want to go to their truck that the parked up by the entrance to my driveway? In Washington people are already allowed to access most rivers via the river as long as they don't get on the riverbank, you just float down in a boat and stand in 2" of water if you want to get out.

Really the legal line in WA is the high water mark. You don't have to be actually standing in the water.

I agree this pledge is very vague. I bet it's focused more on places like Montana where it's illegal to float a river through private property.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
Can any of the BHA members elaborate on this pledge?  Are you proposing legislation nationally to preserve access streams even if it is on private property?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:00:40 PM by Tbar »

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
I'm a member and if I'm wrong I hope another, more knowledgable, person corrects me. I believe this issue is mainly a Montana issue where big land owners are trying to change the state constitution to minimize access to the general public on steams through private property.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Is BHA a lobbying organization?

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
I'm a member and if I'm wrong I hope another, more knowledgable, person corrects me. I believe this issue is mainly a Montana issue where big land owners are trying to change the state constitution to minimize access to the general public on steams through private property.
I think that's where this is coming from.  Montana has some crazy rules about stream access and BHA is working to find access

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »

a few minutes of research reveals that this is not about "walking across someone's yard". It's pretty straightforward: If you are a private property owner with a body of water running alongside (or through) your property, you don't own that section of the water. It might be your land above a high water mark or the beach area outside of water, but the stream bed and water are by and large public (and this pledge argues they should remain that way.)
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
Is BHA a lobbying organization?

Yes, in the sense that BHA's primary goals are public lands, public streams, and access and all of that is controlled by governmental bodies and managed by governmental agencies. BHA has to petition politicians and organize campaigns on behalf of protecting and preserving our public places. Its a conservation group that deals directly with local, state and federal bodies among other actions.
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »

Really the legal line in WA is the high water mark. You don't have to be actually standing in the water.

I agree this pledge is very vague. I bet it's focused more on places like Montana where it's illegal to float a river through private property.

In Montana you can float through someone's property so long as it is considered a navigable waterway.  Everything below the high water mark, to include the streambed is accessible to the public.  Obstacles may be portaged around.

This is likely dealing with the long standing battles in the Ruby Valley.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the clarification it makes more sense now.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »
I just read this, didn't have time earlier.  It's not unique to Montana.  Not every state has stream access.  Montana and Washington both have very good stream access laws.  Wyoming and Colorado don't, and I'm not sure New Mexico does either.

This us not directed specifically towards the feuds on the Ruby River.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline fireweed

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
Part of this is awareness of the sportsmen to know the rules, and their rights.  I know and area along a river where timber companies are selling off lots between a highway and the riverbed with no real uplands.  The new landowner then posts the highway right of way and the shoreline to keep the river all to themselves--a river and shore owned by everyone.  If nobody stands up to this, the rights to use beds and shores of state waters will erode for everyone.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]