collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Do you support NON magnifying scopes for muzzle loaders?

Yes
76 (38%)
No
124 (62%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 08:19:14 AM

Author Topic: Poll- non magnifying scopes on muzzle loaders?  (Read 40007 times)

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Poll- non magnifying scopes on muzzle loaders?
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
How much does the sight pins on my compound bow improve my range over the recurve or other traditional bows?There is a ring around mine as well,quite repeatable also wow when compared to the non magnified scope on a muzzy not much diff.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
Words, words, words!

There now I'm winning
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
Words, words, words!

There now I'm winning
debating with you is like debating a clinton supporter,when you got nothing you go straight something like  :yeah:.I OWNED YOU WITH FACTS IN THIS THREAD.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »
If you can't focus on your sights put a peep sight on your muzzleloader. Also limit your shots to about 75 yards. The intent of the muzzleloader season is to allow people to hunt with a primitive rifle. If you want a scoped muzzleloader you're free to hunt the modern firearm season.
Right.  It is my understanding that the early advocates for archery and muzzleloader were arguing for earlier/separate seasons from modern because their gear required them to close distance more so than could be reasonably expected in the modern season.  Meaning that once the orange army was in the forest animals were more skittish and on alert, making it tougher to do a stalk and get in effective range.  If folks are using equipment that is pushing into the standard ranges of gear limited to modern, why get to be in a special season?

Offline blackdog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Advocate ..
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
I could support those who have a certified deterioration of their vision being allowed a non magnifying optic.

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »
When its something you want you fight the people that don't want and we continue to loose because we cannot get together on anything as a collective group.

Words, words, words!

There now I'm winning
debating with you is like debating a clinton supporter,when you got nothing you go straight something like  :yeah:.I OWNED YOU WITH FACTS IN THIS THREAD.

Way to bring the group together with your facts in a collective manner by playing the political card  :bdid:
Whatever........

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
that's just it,there is no together.hunters just cannot get together on these issues and help the entire sport.its always my group my my my.hunters group against hunter group orv against horse against hiker against boater against jet skier against bird watcher against jeeper.  :bash:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
It does seem it's one weapon against the other, we fight the small things when there are much more important things to fix. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
Muzzleloader was meant to be a primitive weapon.  Hence the earlier season, and additional late seasons.  If a guy wants to use a scope, snag up a rifle and get to it.  And yes I LOVE muzzleloader hunting.  Like has been said multiple times before, there has to be a point where we stop the creep of technology into our primitive weapons, archery AND muzzleloader.  That's what modern firearm season is for. 

I'm all for hunters sticking together with hunters, but when there is an issue like this a guy has to stand his ground on what he feels is right.  There isn't anything wrong with that.   
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
that's just it,there is no together.hunters just cannot get together on these issues and help the entire sport.its always my group my my my.hunters group against hunter group orv against horse against hiker against boater against jet skier against bird watcher against jeeper.  :bash:

Maybe you could stick together with those of us that wish to keep it primitive. :dunno:

May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
I'm fine with allowing more and more gadgets into modern firearm, even support loosening up the regs on some of the stuff WDFW prohibits now.  That's where all the hunting methods are covered--bow, crossbows for some, shotguns, scoped/209 muzzies, etc.  But I think the special seasons should be for those who need a little edge to compete with the masses.  There's a guy on here that posts nearly every year about shooting deer/elk at 90+ yds with a bow.  I can't say for the eastside, but wetside imo he should be running in the modern season.  Doesn't seem like he needs the special season to make up for equipment range limitations.  Essentially, it is turning into a form of getting to hunt with modern gear away from the modern crowd.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »

Maybe you could stick together with those of us that wish to keep it primitive. :dunno:

:yeah: sticking together doesn't mean following a new and self appointed leader.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
So I'm likely to get flamed for this but it is what it is. If you can't shoot an open sighted muzzleloader because of vision issues, maybe you shouldn't be hunting with a muzzleloader. What about the guy who can't draw a bow...should he have accommodations made just because he wants to hunt the archery season or should he pick up a rifle? I don't know, and Dan-O this is not aimed at you and I don't mean to offend.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
So I'm likely to get flamed for this but it is what it is. If you can't shoot an open sighted muzzleloader because of vision issues, maybe you shouldn't be hunting with a muzzleloader. What about the guy who can't draw a bow...should he have accommodations made just because he wants to hunt the archery season or should he pick up a rifle? I don't know, and Dan-O this is not aimed at you and I don't mean to offend.

Exactly

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

Exactly
I agree. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10