collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New turkey hunter please help  (Read 2655 times)

Offline NewHunter9523

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New turkey hunter please help
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Hello I'm just starting out in turkey hunting and was looking for some help. I will be hunting turkeys with my father in soda springs Goldendale this spring. I am using a 50lbs recurve bow that I feel confident with. The problem is not getting the shot, finding a gobbler is. If anyone has any advice on where to hunt or any other advice I would greatly appreciate anything. We will also be camping there any info on that would be useful as well. Like I said I'm new to this any advice and tips goes a long way no matter how little. Thank you all!!!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: New turkey hunter please help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
I haven't hunted turkey down there but I have tried several years now with a bow and found it very challenging.  I would look at a lot of diagrams and practice on a turkey target so that you know where to try to hit them. Also practice in some different positions like sitting or however you think you might be positioned.  I pretty much now use a gun in the spring when I might not get many chances for a shot then try in the fall with my bow. So far the turkeys don't have too much to worry about from me. Haha

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
There's another post about turkey clinics in your area posted below.  I know the guy (Rich Mann) that's putting it on and he should do a great job. I believe it's at Cabela's and you can google their website for Yakima and check out there listed events.   

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
Hello I'm just starting out in turkey hunting and was looking for some help. I will be hunting turkeys with my father in soda springs Goldendale this spring. I am using a 50lbs recurve bow that I feel confident with. The problem is not getting the shot, finding a gobbler is. If anyone has any advice on where to hunt or any other advice I would greatly appreciate anything. We will also be camping there any info on that would be useful as well. Like I said I'm new to this any advice and tips goes a long way no matter how little. Thank you all!!!
WDFW has some good information on finding turkeys.  You'll want to look for an intersection of roosting trees, forage, and water.  Asking specific questions here is good as well.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
There will probably be a lot of pressure in soda springs, your best bet is to locate a bird the night before the opener and hope its far enough away that other guys don't hear it too. After opening day they will be much tougher until the pressure drops off.

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
Is your dad a local?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline NewHunter9523

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Thank you guys from the advice really apreciate it. And no we are not from golden dale we are coming out of Moxee Washington.

Offline NewHunter9523

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
I was originally going to hit them with a recurve but will be using my compound bow instead. Are there any other less pressured turkey sites any one may know about??  Private land, public anything ??

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
Couple tips for ya on turkeys and turkey spots.

1. Soda Spring has a lot of truck access to drive in. Look at a gazetteer, find an area that trucks cant get to. Find areas where you can cross a river, where there is a lot of water pooled up from snow melt or hike to will get away from the crowds.

2.If you haven't scouted the area out yet, you need to take at least 1 full day of scouting the area before hand. I recommend getting there early at sunrise or a bit earlier. Listen for gobbles. Turkeys are a creator of habit and they tend to do the same thing day in, day out this time of year. Look for tracks, look for feathers, look for open areas where the males can strut.

3.Turkeys love to roost by water, find a water source and follow it I'm sure you will find turkey sign.

4. Dont over call! number one rule when learning to talk turkey, that Tom heard you let him make his way to you. This can take an hour so sit tight. Once a Tom get a visual on your decoy I notice that they often go quiet, move slow and take their time coming in. If he sees your decoy do not call at him let him take his time.

5. Just cause the morning didnt work out dont give up for the day! I have heard birds gobble at even 11am-3pm. after the morning run and gun and see if you can find some birds.

6.Use a very simple call if you're new to calling. a Box call or slate call is what I use 98% of the time. Mouth calls are cool but I get much better turkey talk from my slate or box. in terms of shock gobbling or locating calls I find Crow calls to be very effective and easy to use. Like I said though DO NOT OVER CALL.

7. The most important thing I can tell you is have a plan B(sometimes even a C,D or E) in terms of locations. Do not rely on sitting in 1 place. Soda springs is a good chunk of land, find multiple locations you can sit or move to. I can't tell you how many times I had a spot scouted out for opening day and the morning of had a number of guys show up to sit right by my spot. Do not put all your eggs into one basket. Have a back up plan

Best of luck to ya!

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
Keep in mind in Soda Springs that you need to be real careful on the roads. Stay on rock. If you get off a rocked road you will sink and have a fat tow bill. Also do not attempt to wade the river. It is cooking fast right now and wading it won't be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline NewHunter9523

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
thank you everyone that is great advise I very much appreciate every bit of it thank you all for your time!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
Post a pic of your bird!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87