collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why no WA general spring bear season?  (Read 7315 times)

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Why no WA general spring bear season?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:15:49 PM »
I would love to see a OTC spring hunt but it will never happen  :bash:
At least when we could bait and run dogs we could be selective on the bear we shot if it was small or young or whatever we could just pass on harvesting it, now I tend to believe more immature and sows get shot JUST because you can't judge as easy when opportunity knocks some shoot just because it's a bear and not THE bear  :twocents:
  Sorry for the jack

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
The main reason, I think, is wdfw really has no clue how many bear the state actually has, and they're afraid to open a spring season just in case the population might dip. They're studying a 15 square mile piece in the Cascades of North King County now trying to get a guess on what the bear density and hunter impact is there to extrapolate that across the state. That study will somehow be used to decide if a spring season is possible without negatively impacting the population.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
The main reason, I think, is wdfw really has no clue how many bear the state actually has,

I find that difficult when sites like this get their data from the state

http://hopamerica.com/u-s-black-bear-population-by-state/

$$$ is the motivation
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
This topic has always bothered me.  I hope somebody with more time and knowledge will fill in the blanks.

Here is the main problem: WDFW already gives out substantial depredation tags to timber companies, which allow the killing of bears during the spring season.  These bears are indeed damaging trees, and the timber companies hire professional hunters to kill bears---but the harvest of said bears (meat, fur) is NOT allowed.  They drop them where they see them.  And, to make it more interesting, baiting and running of dogs is sometimes allowed.  Unfortunately for the sportsman hunter, we cannot participate in this harvest.  Our only hope is to pull a limited entry spring tag, and then often pay the timber company for the opportunity to trespass and hunt their property.

Could somebody research the number of bears killed every year by professional hunters on timber property, licensed by WDFW with depredation tags?  I saw numbers years ago, and it was much higher than the number of spring bears killed by sportsmen.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 10:16:37 PM »
For the more mountainous areas, locating bears in spring is quite a bit easier than fall.  The more snow/lower the snow line/later the melt, the more of the mountain you don't have to hunt.

Offline BreezyBear

• Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
If it's a money argument for not having an over the counter spring tag, just do the whole state on a draw.....result, more$

Any gmu that is open to fall hunting could absolutely support giving out 5 or so special spring permits every year without any real effect....other than making some bear hunters happy!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
The main reason, I think, is wdfw really has no clue how many bear the state actually has, and they're afraid to open a spring season just in case the population might dip. They're studying a 15 square mile piece in the Cascades of North King County now trying to get a guess on what the bear density and hunter impact is there to extrapolate that across the state. That study will somehow be used to decide if a spring season is possible without negatively impacting the population.

That's actually good news that they are even doing that!  :dunno:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
$

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If they've got the season, I'd cough up the $$
It's the money from permit applications they would lose if they went to a general spring season.

About 4,000 applications at $7 each doesn't seem that much to lose to make up elsewhere. :dunno:

Maybe charge the timber companies a fee for allowing a spring bears to be shot on their property.  WDFW is giving them a service right?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 01:20:52 PM »
$

It's the money from permit applications they would lose if they went to a general spring season.

Were it a state-wide general season, they'd probably sell a lot more tags here on the wetside where there aren't many open units under the present system.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
$

Were it a state-wide general season, they'd probably sell a lot more tags here on the wetside where there aren't many open units under the present system.

Agreed.  I also think bear hunting would be WAY more popular in the spring when there's not much else going on.  Lots of other fish/hunt activities competing for your time in the fall. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
This topic has always bothered me.  I hope somebody with more time and knowledge will fill in the blanks.

Here is the main problem: WDFW already gives out substantial depredation tags to timber companies, which allow the killing of bears during the spring season.  These bears are indeed damaging trees, and the timber companies hire professional hunters to kill bears---but the harvest of said bears (meat, fur) is NOT allowed.  They drop them where they see them.  And, to make it more interesting, baiting and running of dogs is sometimes allowed.  Unfortunately for the sportsman hunter, we cannot participate in this harvest.  Our only hope is to pull a limited entry spring tag, and then often pay the timber company for the opportunity to trespass and hunt their property.

Could somebody research the number of bears killed every year by professional hunters on timber property, licensed by WDFW with depredation tags?  I saw numbers years ago, and it was much higher than the number of spring bears killed by sportsmen.

This is another area where the WDFW could benefit hunters by putting pressure on the timber companies to allow licensed hunters to take their bears. What a waste it is now.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
We had some talk in the northeast of trying an early over the counter hunt but it never happened. I think they could start with an early 2 week to 4 week season statewide to test the water and then add a week each year until we eventually have the full spring open. By doing it that way there would be very modest harvest the first year and they could tweak the season each year based on harvest numbers.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Bearpaw for Director.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Bearpaw for Director.

I doubt they would like my wolf policy!  : :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
Bearpaw for Director.

I doubt they would like my wolf policy!  : :chuckle:
All the better! I second bearpaw for director!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]