collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: To GPS or not to GPS  (Read 13580 times)

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
Re: To GPS or not to GPS
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
Something I’ve used a GPS for on multiple occasions is creating a waypoint for an animal I’m hunting, and making a blind stalk. I range the animal, take a bearing on it, and plug the waypoint into my GPS. I can then “go to” the animal’s waypoint staying completely out of sight. The GPS tells me the distance to the animal as I stalk it. When I get to a shootable distance, I can start looking for a good spot to shoot from.  I’ve done that innumerable times with antelope, and a couple times with elk.  The last elk I did it with was 1360 yards away when I started. I blind-stalked within 115 yards before peeking over a ridge to see and shoot it; it never knew I was there.

With mapping programs I know exactly where I am, and where the boundaries are of the property I’m on. I can see landowner information for private land. I can find access to public properties that have just a tiny sliver accessible that I wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.

I know which GMU I’m in, which deer area I’m in, which elk area I’m in.

I can mark my dead animal and easily find it without flagging tape when making multiple retrievals. I can leave a bread crumb track of the path I walked out, so if I need to return in the dark I can follow it.

Sunrise/sunset information is available for my location, and any location I choose. I’ve hunted some special hunts in February and March. When does the regulation pamphlet indicate that legal shooting time ends on February 15?

If I get lost or injured I can give my exact location. With RINO models the information is transmitted automatically.

I do use maps to see the “large picture” sometimes, but just can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to also take advantage of the many functions a tool that weighs half a pound offers.

To each his own.
Last spring I spotted a bear from over a mile off. I was able to mark which basin it was in from where I was sitting in my car, I then drove around to the opposite side of the ridge where I had planned to set camp, set my camp and made about a mile and a half trek to the basin where I knew the bear to be. I did all of that with onx maps on my phone. After I shot the bear I switched over to phone and called my wife and a buddy to let them know of my success. There is almost no reason in this day for a dedicated GPS. I have yet to see a time when my phone could not be used for navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when the battery is dead? When it breaks?

I think my garmin is a little tougher than my phone and when the batteries go i just slap some aa's in it. I use my phone a lot when hunting but i ain't givin up the garmin yet :twocents:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
Get a AA charger for your phone or a battery pack than can charge it 3-4 times.  Stand alone GPS units are dead, they just don't know it yet.  In a few years, they will be in the same drawer as your iPod and Tom Tom.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 06:15:01 AM »
Something I’ve used a GPS for on multiple occasions is creating a waypoint for an animal I’m hunting, and making a blind stalk. I range the animal, take a bearing on it, and plug the waypoint into my GPS. I can then “go to” the animal’s waypoint staying completely out of sight. The GPS tells me the distance to the animal as I stalk it. When I get to a shootable distance, I can start looking for a good spot to shoot from.  I’ve done that innumerable times with antelope, and a couple times with elk.  The last elk I did it with was 1360 yards away when I started. I blind-stalked within 115 yards before peeking over a ridge to see and shoot it; it never knew I was there.

With mapping programs I know exactly where I am, and where the boundaries are of the property I’m on. I can see landowner information for private land. I can find access to public properties that have just a tiny sliver accessible that I wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.

I know which GMU I’m in, which deer area I’m in, which elk area I’m in.

I can mark my dead animal and easily find it without flagging tape when making multiple retrievals. I can leave a bread crumb track of the path I walked out, so if I need to return in the dark I can follow it.

Sunrise/sunset information is available for my location, and any location I choose. I’ve hunted some special hunts in February and March. When does the regulation pamphlet indicate that legal shooting time ends on February 15?

If I get lost or injured I can give my exact location. With RINO models the information is transmitted automatically.

I do use maps to see the “large picture” sometimes, but just can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to also take advantage of the many functions a tool that weighs half a pound offers.

To each his own.
Last spring I spotted a bear from over a mile off. I was able to mark which basin it was in from where I was sitting in my car, I then drove around to the opposite side of the ridge where I had planned to set camp, set my camp and made about a mile and a half trek to the basin where I knew the bear to be. I did all of that with onx maps on my phone. After I shot the bear I switched over to phone and called my wife and a buddy to let them know of my success. There is almost no reason in this day for a dedicated GPS. I have yet to see a time when my phone could not be used for navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when the battery is dead? When it breaks?

I think my garmin is a little tougher than my phone and when the batteries go i just slap some aa's in it. I use my phone a lot when hunting but i ain't givin up the garmin yet :twocents:

You take out your map and compass. I also keep a AAA battery pack in my pack if the lithium battery dies.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »
Get a AA charger for your phone or a battery pack than can charge it 3-4 times.  Stand alone GPS units are dead, they just don't know it yet.  In a few years, they will be in the same drawer as your iPod and Tom Tom.
Its Already there!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
GPS units are far from experiencing the fate of the dinosaur, especially multi-function units like the more advanced Rinos.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
Phones have some advantages over dedicated GPS units, but I still prefer a dedicated GPS in most instances for the following reasons:

1.   Durability. My GPS has been through rain, mud, dragged along the ground while I belly crawl through sage brush, tossed in my pack, jammed in a pocket, thrown in my truck, and it works. Every time.
2.   Cost. See #1. If and when my GPS fails it will cost me $250-$300 to replace. If my phone breaks, it will cost me $600 to $800 to replace.
3.   Battery life. My GPS runs 16 hours on two AAs. To change them takes about 15 seconds. The two AAs cost me about $.50 and weigh a couple ounces.
4.   Functionality. When I need to keep track of partners, I take my RINOs which provide peer-to-peer positioning without cell service. The radio provides the ability to contact emergency services in areas without cell coverage. I also don’t need to carry a separate walkie-talkie.
5.   Custom maps. I’ve created and loaded a large number of custom maps for my GPS. It may be that the same technology exists with cellular devices if I’m willing to learn how to use it.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »
That will be a nope I find GPS very unreliable to even get people to where I have lived the last 3 locations.  No way I trust electronic devices over a good map and my own sense of direction.  Especially in the forest.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »
That will be a nope I find GPS very unreliable to even get people to where I have lived the last 3 locations.  No way I trust electronic devices over a good map and my own sense of direction.  Especially in the forest.

I think you may have missed the point. No one's saying that while using a GPS you should discard your map and compass - quite the opposite. Always have a map and compass.

I'm unsure what kind of GPS you've used, Run, but there are exceptional models available for hunting which lock up quickly in deep cover and are quite accurate to within a couple of feet.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

I think you may have missed the point. No one's saying that while using a GPS you should discard your map and compass - quite the opposite. Always have a map and compass.

I'm unsure what kind of GPS you've used, Run, but there are exceptional models available for hunting which lock up quickly in deep cover and are quite accurate to within a couple of feet.

I used to rely on my old etrex model (15+ yrs old) to guide me into my tree stands in the dark. The first time or two going in the dark, nothing looked familiar by flashlight. But the gps guidance was spot on.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand