collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Muzzleloader set up suggestions  (Read 3096 times)

Offline AlbinoRhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
New Muzzleloader set up suggestions
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
Looking to get back into Muzzleloader for Elk.. I used a family members set up a few years ago but now want to get one of my own.. looking for reviews on all components..

Gun: I think I want to buy new and not certain if I want to pay for a knight yet looking for recommendations between CVA optima NW and the Traditions pursuit Ultra Light NW also open to any recommendations

Sabots vs Power Belts: looking between the green based power belts or the Barnes Sabots

Powder vs Pellets ??? Idk

Thanks all for the advice

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: New Muzzleloader set up suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
I bought the optima nw edition 2 years ago. It's been a good gun so far. The first year I used pyrodex pellets and hornady sst sabot for the bullet . Dead bull no tracking

Last year switched to triple 7 loose. Same bullet . Dead bull no tracking .

If you get one just find the setup that's easiest for you to manage and shoot it often. Open sights took a little time to remember but it's a shooter for me.
Dilligaf

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »
Looking to get back into Muzzleloader for Elk.. I used a family members set up a few years ago but now want to get one of my own.. looking for reviews on all components..

Gun: I think I want to buy new and not certain if I want to pay for a knight yet looking for recommendations between CVA optima NW and the Traditions pursuit Ultra Light NW also open to any recommendations

Personally, and this is only me, I would really look hard a getting a Knight, even the less expensive Bighorn or a Wolverine.  The Littlehorn "Adult" version (which is really a Wolverine) is an rifle - although make sure to get the Western version

http://www.knightrifles.com/product/littlehorn-adult-max-1-muzzleloader/

Barring this I would be more inclined to a CVA rather than a Traditions.

Sabots vs Power Belts: looking between the green based power belts or the Barnes Sabots

Again personally I would really suggest a 'PASS' on PowerBelts.  The certainly are convenient for use and are accurate but 'Terminal Performance' can often be suspect.

Barnes are a quality bullet - no doubt, but I would suggest you look at the different Knight Bloodline options.  If your main target is deer then the 452x250 Bloodline is great.  The .458x275 is probably the best all-around bullet and the .458x300 excellent Elk medicine.

Also Lehigh Defense is building a new line of bullets to compete with the Bloodlines they build for Knight.  These new bullets - solid copper - are awesome.

Right now they only have a .452x265 grain - but in the near future will have several other options.  This bullet came out right at the beginning of hunting season.  It has been tested and tortured in a few states in the East.  I have some an they shoot great.  Really impressed with them.  They operate exactly like the Bloodline and have shown great 'Terminal Performance'

You might take a look at this thread for a recent outing that I shot.  Kinda ignore the rifle I was shooting one of the rifles that I use during regular rifle season here in Idaho - so it is scoped...

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=post;msg=2809712;topic=211034.0

Powder - I would and do use T7-3f and ignite the powder with a @11 Mag cap and/or preferably a German RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap.  With either of these two caps and the correct nipple you can make the breech area virtually water proof.

Hope some of this helps....
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Myrtle Creek Inc.

• God Bless
  • Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Muzzle-Loaders.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/MuzzleLoaderscom
    • www.Muzzle-Loaders.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »

The Optima and Pursuit are both good considerations. At basically the same price point, you get Nitride on the Pursuit, however, the Optima will allow you to change out the breech plug and firing pin to use 209 primers in the future if you choose to do so. The Pursuit is slightly lighter, but you really won't notice the difference in weight between these two. They're both very accurate and have had great reviews.

Sabots vs PowerBelts is comparable to Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy. You'll find people that have great success with both and people who dislike both. If you're looking at PowerBelts, my personal recommendation is the 270gr Platinums. They're an excellent bullet and we've had success on elk and deer with that bullet. If you choose a sabot, I would definitely choose the Barnes T-EZ in either of these guns.

Loose powder vs pellets is a mixed bag. Personally, with the northwest regulations on musket cap ignition, I would recommend using the loose powder for more load flexibility and more consistent ignition, resulting in better accuracy.

Either way, I think you're on the right track and you just need to find something that works best for you. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Sabotloader's advice is quite valuable. Follow his advice and you are ready to go kill a bull. I bought a knight disc extreme (bighorn shoots the same) and went with the 300 grain bloodlines, triple 7 3f (120 grains, but I suspect I'll end up at 110) and the RWS caps. It shoots awesome.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »
Mine is a stainless bighorn, 110 gr 777 3F loose, Barnes 295 TMZ (with knight sabots), 1075 Cap= dead elk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:06:01 PM by usmc74 »

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
I know you are thinking new, but I have a very lightly used Knight disc extreme with thumbhole stock, Williams peep sight and every thing needed to get started that I am thinking about selling if you're​ interested.  Let me know.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:51:10 PM by gutsnthegrass »

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
Camo? Price?

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter