collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrow Recommendations  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Rickfox911

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Arrow Recommendations
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
I'm looking for some help here.  I just got a Hoyt Charger a few weeks ago after not shooting for 20 years.  I'm looking for help with an arrow/broad head selection.  I'm pulling 70 lbs and will mostly be hunting Blacktail in the Olympics.  I'm also looking for help on building up arrows.  Seems there's been a few changes to that over the years.  Mainly on types of veins, adhesives and wraps.  Appreciate any help.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
Re: Arrow Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
You'll have to meet the state min weight of 420grn for a 70lb bow. Your draw length, how much your budget is and how much heavier you want the arrow will narrow down arrows that work. I'm a shooter of gold tip but the new element arrows have my interest and I've used victory and Easton all make good arrows. I could build you a set of arrows to what ever you want. 

For broad heads I'd steer you yo rad sav. He makes some killer stuff, the madman is a economical head that's tough sharp and flus very well. He offers other heads like the ti-con that are killer heads. Radical archery design is where I'd steer you for that.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »
This can be a very open ended opinion debate....But it depends on what your after.  I prefer Black Eagle rampage arrows.  They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. +-1 grain weight and .001 straightness.  You can get by with different arrows just depends on your budget and how precise you like your equipment.  I would not get up in the speed is everything game.  I would WAY rather shoot a heavier arrow with a good front of center then brag that my bow shoots over 300fps.  My arrows are 13.8% front of center with 517 grains.  Black eagle makes a 56 grain half out insert that helps with the front of center issue.  Since i run the 56 grain half out i can get away with using a 100 grain broad head.  2" blazer vanes are a very common practice with hunting arrows.  You will need to check the manufacture chart with arrow weight and poundage to correctly select the correct shaft stiffness.  Typical practice is your arrow length ends up being close to 1" shorter then your draw length.  It is worth buying arrows from someone that can help with cutting the arrows and glueing inserts.  Another common arrow that would be easier to find is the full metal jacket arrows.  Both of the arrows i mentioned have smaller diameter.  Theory is similar to sectional density of bullets.  Smaller diameter with heavier weight equals further penetration.   

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »
I've switched around a little bit. I'm shooting easton FMJ right now and they shoot great. I'm shooting 495 grains total at about 240 fps and have food groups out to 60. I've shot Easton bloodlines but you look at them sideways and they break. I have been looking at getting some arrows from black eagle and gold tip to try out. I'm looking for a setup that is closer to 410 grains to get some more speed but last year I drop my elks front leg on the off side on the pass through with the FMJ. So many good arrows out there Easton, Black Eagle, Gold tip find the weight and spline you want and you really can't go wrong.

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »
I shoot VAP Elites. Cant be beat for penetration. Out penetrates Easton FMJs by a long shot

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:56:40 PM »
The Gold Tip Hunter XT arrows are my choice.  I use 2" Blazer Vanes and they are relatively affordable and very durable.

They make weight pretty easily and I pair them up with 125 grain broad heads or mechanicals.  They zip right through mechanicals.

Buy them bare shaft on eBay as well as the vanes and you can easily make them yourself with an Arizon EZ fletch.

SR1

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
I've switched around a little bit. I'm shooting easton FMJ right now and they shoot great. I'm shooting 495 grains total at about 240 fps and have food groups out to 60. I've shot Easton bloodlines but you look at them sideways and they break. I have been looking at getting some arrows from black eagle and gold tip to try out. I'm looking for a setup that is closer to 410 grains to get some more speed but last year I drop my elks front leg on the off side on the pass through with the FMJ. So many good arrows out there Easton, Black Eagle, Gold tip find the weight and spline you want and you really can't go wrong.
Remember to not have your draw weight be any more than 68lb with the lighter arrows.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
Remember to not have your draw weight be any more than 68lb with the lighter arrows.

:tup: Currently shooting at 65lb

Offline J.Brower

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
When I started shooting again I picked up a dozen of the Stalker Extremes from Cabelas, shot my deer with them last year. I decided to go to Gold Tip Hunter XT's for not much reason other than the name (haven't been shooting again for very long). I found the GT's to be a good arrow, fairly tough, flew decent. A couple of weeks ago I refletched a handful of my old Cabelas arrows just to shoot them for 3D, and was able to get way more consistent groups with them compared to the GT's. Doing a little research, they are the same shaft as the Beman Hunter ICS arrows, but at a way cheaper price. I will be picking up another dozen for the rest of the 3D season, as well as deer season unless I can find something that shoots better than they do out of my bow.

Offline Rickfox911

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
This can be a very open ended opinion debate....But it depends on what your after.  I prefer Black Eagle rampage arrows.  They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. +-1 grain weight and .001 straightness.  You can get by with different arrows just depends on your budget and how precise you like your equipment.  I would not get up in the speed is everything game.  I would WAY rather shoot a heavier arrow with a good front of center then brag that my bow shoots over 300fps.  My arrows are 13.8% front of center with 517 grains.  Black eagle makes a 56 grain half out insert that helps with the front of center issue.  Since i run the 56 grain half out i can get away with using a 100 grain broad head.  2" blazer vanes are a very common practice with hunting arrows.  You will need to check the manufacture chart with arrow weight and poundage to correctly select the correct shaft stiffness.  Typical practice is your arrow length ends up being close to 1" shorter then your draw length.  It is worth buying arrows from someone that can help with cutting the arrows and glueing inserts.  Another common arrow that would be easier to find is the full metal jacket arrows.  Both of the arrows i mentioned have smaller diameter.  Theory is similar to sectional density of bullets.  Smaller diameter with heavier weight equals further penetration.

I hear ya.  Million options here. I didn't realize that I had to be shooting a 420 grain for hunting either.  The guy that set my bow up sold me GTs 340's.  I'd prefer to practice what I'm going to play with, so it looks like I'll be making a change very soon.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »

I hear ya.  Million options here. I didn't realize that I had to be shooting a 420 grain for hunting either.  The guy that set my bow up sold me GTs 340's.  I'd prefer to practice what I'm going to play with, so it looks like I'll be making a change very soon.

Hold up Rick! Spine is not weight. Spine is the amount of flex a shaft has hence your 340 number, thats a pretty typical shaft spine for a bow in the 60-70 lb range depending on your draw length. The longer the draw and heavier the broadhead the stiffer the arrow you will need. To find your arrow weight look at (weight of vanes + grams per inch*length + weight of nock + weight of insert + broadhead grains) The smaller the spine number is the stiffer the arrow is, so your 340 spine arrows more than likely are a good fit for your setup.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
You might be ok on weight but depending on your draw length the 340 might not tune with broad heads for you. The 340 gt are 8.9 gpi which a full length arrow is like 285grns but then add point ,insert ,Nock and vanes ro that. There is a lot to arrows some shops dont rake the time to think about like FOX  :tup:

Offline Rickfox911

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:39 AM »

Hold up Rick! Spine is not weight. Spine is the amount of flex a shaft has hence your 340 number, thats a pretty typical shaft spine for a bow in the 60-70 lb range depending on your draw length. The longer the draw and heavier the broadhead the stiffer the arrow you will need. To find your arrow weight look at (weight of vanes + grams per inch*length + weight of nock + weight of insert + broadhead grains) The smaller the spine number is the stiffer the arrow is, so your 340 spine arrows more than likely are a good fit for your setup.

OK, I got some research to do for sure.  I obviously have no clue what I'm talking about lol.  Do you build up your own arrows? 

Offline Rickfox911

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »
You might be ok on weight but depending on your draw length the 340 might not tune with broad heads for you. The 340 gt are 8.9 gpi which a full length arrow is like 285grns but then add point ,insert ,Nock and vanes ro that. There is a lot to arrows some shops dont rake the time to think about like FOX  :tup:

My draw is 30".  Any recommendations on where to learn all this stuff about arrows?  Book or website?

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
Gold tips web page has some good info. Of your a 30 I'd lean toward 300 spine arrows

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]