collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Diesel Truck Engine  (Read 25495 times)

Offline bhawley76

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Best Diesel Truck Engine
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
7.3 with a few upgrades is a tuff one to beat.  Mine has impressed me time and time again. My only complaint is there loud.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
From my experience...

Duramax LBZ models (2005 I think)
Cummins common rail 24v 2007.5 and earlier (non dpf)
7.3 liter Power stroke,
6.0 liter power stroke if bulletproofed

I prefer the Cummins

Good or Bad?

These are engines I've personally used for work/play that I would recommend.
Ive had newer cummins and 6.4 liter PS that I don't recommend.  Both un-modified

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 12:32:57 PM »
From my experience...

7.3 liter Power stroke,

I prefer the Cummins

Duramax LBZ was 2006 and 2007 classic. The early duramax are still great but had injector issues. The LMM duramax (2007.5- 2010) is essentially the same as the LBZ just have to delete the emissions crap. Also in 2006 the Allison switched from a 5 speed to a 6 speed

I thought my LBZ was an 05 but I could be wrong.  It was a great truck mechanically, but Gm ccan't seam to make a paint job or interioir last more than 100k

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
My lady said she wouldn't drive my f 350 again until I got the front end fixed. She said she felt like she was drunk driving it to the airport. It's got some play?? A little? So, I'm on my second major repair in 250k. First was upper and lower ball joints, u joints and hubs. This time, steering box, tie rod ends and dampener and link arm bushings. Going to cost about $2000 with new rear shocks.

Since I bought the truck with 40k on it, I've put four sets of tires on it and $4,200 in repairs. Should be good until someday when the tranny goes out. Still shifts and drives like new so, hope it holds out a bit longer.

2002 F-350 4x4 regular cab 7.3L
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
We also have a 2002 2500 Silverado diesel and a 2003 2500 Diesel. The 2002 chev has had a transmission replaced at 200k and injectors, full brake booster, wheel bearings and links done at 240. Also had turbo leak fixed.  It's at 260 now, running like a clock. Probably $10k in repairs since she bought it new.

Our 2003 only has 120k. Just had steering link arms and a couple bushings replaced and I'm currently scheduled to try and sort out a brake problem with it. Have also replaced turbo boots due to leaks. Had about $3,000 in repairs and a few things like brakes are still an issue with pedal pressure. Oh, and a gas gauge issue that cost a $1000 to try to fix. Forgot about that one. It's going in for the gas gauge and brake next week.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:14:19 PM by Happy Gilmore »
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
Had a 7.3 and liked it. But I now have 2006 5.9 and absolutely love it. I only have 62k on it, but it's been a great truck.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
We also have a 2002 2500 Silverado diesel and a 2003 2500 Diesel. The 2002 chev has had a transmission replaced at 200k and injectors, full brake booster, wheel bearings and links done at 240. Also had turbo leak fixed.  It's at 260 now, running like a clock. Probably $10k in repairs since she bought it new.

Our 2003 only has 120k. Just had steering link arms and a couple bushings replaced and I'm currently scheduled to try and sort out a brake problem with it. Have also replaced turbo boots due to leaks. Had about $3,000 in repairs and a few things like brakes are still an issue with pedal pressure. Oh, and a gas gauge issue that cost a $1000 to try to fix. Forgot about that one. It's going in for the gas gauge and brake next week.

I had a fuel gauge issue on a 2002 6.0l gasser.  Gauge would work on and off and wouldn't read properly when it did work.  Dealer never could find the issue.  Then the fuel pump went out around 220k, had it replaced and the gauge started working again.  I assumed it was the sensor in the tank.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
Probably the fuel level sending unit. Part of the fuel pump module.
Intermittent problems suck. If we can't reproduce them, we can't verify a failed part and 99% of the time, we won't guess/shotgun parts.  If we can't fix it, customers think we're not smart enough to figure out what's wrong with their vehicle.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
Intermittent problems suck. If we can't reproduce them, we can't verify a failed part and 99% of the time, we won't guess/shotgun parts.  If we can't fix it, customers think we're not smart enough to figure out what's wrong with their vehicle.

They dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit. Didn't do anything but produce a big bill. Now they're going into the dash I guess and will credit the prior $1000+
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »

They dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit. Didn't do anything but produce a big bill. Now they're going into the dash I guess and will credit the prior $1000+

I was responding to baker5150's comments, not yours.

Sounds like someone shotgunned a part on yours. Did they reproduce the issue or did they guess? My hunch is they guessed. That's what they get for guessing.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
I have owned a 2002 7.3 powerstroke and now own a 2007 5.9 cummins. The 7.3 was a great power plant and was pretty reliable other than the cam pos sensor going out a couple times. I now have a 2007 mega cab 5.9 with 150k on it and have had zero issues so far. The power is a bit different in the 5.9 as it definitely feels to have more low end torque than the 7.3 but that's just my experience. I am getting great fuel economy out of my 5.9 and have found nothing to complain about at this point. I don't think you can go wrong with a 01 or 02 7.3 or a 06-07  5.9 cummins,  both very stout power plants.

Just a heads up on these comments. Mid-model year 2007 switched to the 6.7L Cummins with all the emissions crap on it. Those things were constant problems. By all means, if you find a good '07 Ram go for it, just make sure it's the 5.9L. It's kind of become a bit of a unicorn.
What is your opinion of a deleted 6.7 Cummins?

Solid. A monster. Didn't see too many of them because we weren't legally supposed to work on them, but they're tanks.
@MuleySniper would have some long term input on that if he sees this. Not sure if he still has his, but if so, he's put an extended roadtest on it by now and I know he works his a little.

I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins (4th gen) fully deleted to get rid of all of the emissions crap... 5" turbo back straight pipe, DPF and EGR cooler delete, Mini Maxx tuner and AFE intake.  With those 6.7's and the emissions crap the MPG is horrible, especially on 37's.  But after all the deletes and tuned I'll average around 19-20 on the freeway with 37's.  Let alone it sounds like a log truck.  Muleysniper is a buddy of mine and suggested getting a dual steering stabilizer to help save the front end with the 37's.  It definitely made a difference with bump steer from hitting bumps with those big tires.  A lot less wander.  Hopefully that will help my ball joints.  I agree with Jackelopes comment, the rest of the truck will wear out before the engine.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
$10k later..... Lol. That alone is twice all the total maintenance I've spent on my Ford since 2006 when I bought it. And all the tuners ect will make more costs in the ling run accelerating the wear on all rolling parts on the truck. I'd never buy a modified truck. Bearings, ball joints, gears, u joints etc all go out faster with big tires and more power. There is always a sacrifice no matter what folks claim on fuel economy. Bigger tires and more power equal more stress on everything which equals premature failure. I'd say half life if you're lucky nice engine.... Everything else is shot just past 150k.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
I got away from diesel. Been doing my pulling the last 8 years with a 2004 Ford V10, 6 speed manual. Stock trailer, camp trailer, ATV trailer, does fine for me. Been very dependable.
Great truck but mine netted 7 mpg
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:39 AM »
From my experience...

7.3 liter Power stroke,

I prefer the Cummins

Good or Bad?

These are engines I've personally used for work/play that I would recommend.
Ive had newer cummins and 6.4 liter PS that I don't recommend.  Both un-modified
what should a person watch for on the 6.4 ps?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 01:02:25 AM »
7.3 Powerstroke

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw