collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Diesel Truck Engine  (Read 25493 times)

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Best Diesel Truck Engine
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
$10k later..... Lol. That alone is twice all the total maintenance I've spent on my Ford since 2006 when I bought it. And all the tuners ect will make more costs in the ling run accelerating the wear on all rolling parts on the truck. I'd never buy a modified truck. Bearings, ball joints, gears, u joints etc all go out faster with big tires and more power. There is always a sacrifice no matter what folks claim on fuel economy. Bigger tires and more power equal more stress on everything which equals premature failure. I'd say half life if you're lucky nice engine.... Everything else is shot just past 150k.
Yea, but your trucks don't have all the emissions crap the newer ones have for one. Second, it doesn't cost 10k to delete and tune a truck. More like 1-2k largely depending on the tuner. My buddy just had to have the egr replaced on his '11 f350 to the tune of $2k. Longevity also depends on what tune you run. If your running a performance tune, absolutely it's gonna take its toll on the internals. I'd argue that a stock or fuel mileage tune does nothing to decrease longevity. Just reduces having to replace dpf and egr down the road.

I have an 06 F350 DRW crew cab. Had it bullet proofed shortly after I purchased it in 09 when it had <46K miles on it and I run a Bully Dog PMT in it set on performance mode most of the time except when towing boat.  When not towing I can get 16-17.5 MPG on HGWY (8600 lb vehicle). When towing boat, about 8400 lbs it is down to 10-11. I also have an AMES Oil by pass filter system in it and change the oil annually (about 10K - 11K miles). I have not had any significant issues with my rig and for the most part am very happy with the performance. I agree with most of what both of your posts state but would add that the biggest part of running a tuner is to keep your foot out of it when taking off or stomping the throttle in general. These things can produce a good amount of HP but I would submit that some personal restraint on the throttle will go a long way in preserving the internal parts and drive-line. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
@Macs B you were pretty non specific about the kind of $ you were wanting to spend.
Ford 2000 f350 stick 7.3
My brother was a Ford Mechanic and now owns this rig.
DODGE 03-06.5 Cummins 6speed stick. I currently have 2. Even stock they are pulling machines and a few horses wouldn't even work it hard
If you went older than 03 I'd still get a stick but I had bad experiences with the 5th gear coming off the shaft.  I also kept the rig connected to the goose neck and it was always maxed out on heavy loads.  Casual use may be fine with light loads and using 4th gear why pulling loads.

I've owned 1 automatic on a 1st gen Cummins and will never have an auto on a pulling rig again. They suck, but that combo is everywhere. IF I found a cherry low mile one that was owned by the old couple pulling the t.v. I would put some $ into a good tranny cooler not the stock POS. They make some awesome after market stuff as well as exhaust brakes. The older 2wd dually are everywhere for reasonable. Flat bed it, fat bumper with a hitch for a removable winch will take care of most of what you could need. 19.5 steel wheels and 8r19.5 or 245/75r19.5 and it will be a road Tug.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »
$10k later..... Lol. That alone is twice all the total maintenance I've spent on my Ford since 2006 when I bought it. And all the tuners ect will make more costs in the ling run accelerating the wear on all rolling parts on the truck. I'd never buy a modified truck. Bearings, ball joints, gears, u joints etc all go out faster with big tires and more power. There is always a sacrifice no matter what folks claim on fuel economy. Bigger tires and more power equal more stress on everything which equals premature failure. I'd say half life if you're lucky nice engine.... Everything else is shot just past 150k.
Yea, but your trucks don't have all the emissions crap the newer ones have for one. Second, it doesn't cost 10k to delete and tune a truck. More like 1-2k largely depending on the tuner. My buddy just had to have the egr replaced on his '11 f350 to the tune of $2k. Longevity also depends on what tune you run. If your running a performance tune, absolutely it's gonna take its toll on the internals. I'd argue that a stock or fuel mileage tune does nothing to decrease longevity. Just reduces having to replace dpf and egr down the road.

I think he was talking about the lift, wheels, tires and everything else.  Regardless, I'm with you on that.  If you're running the performance tune and hammering on the truck everywhere you go, you're going to have issues a lot sooner.  If you drive it on a mileage tune and keep the lead foot to a minimum, it's going to last you a lot longer let alone as mentioned you got rid of some expensive parts that would need to be replaced down the road.  And all things considered, if you want a lifted truck and still want to get halfway decent gas mileage, diesel is the only way to go.  The 5.9 cummins is truly tough to beat when it comes to mileage... If you calculate the difference you'd spend in fuel money over a long run in say a non-deleted truck where you'd get 10-12mpg if you're lucky on say 37's, vs 19-20mpg it will put a lot of money back in your pocket therefore helping pay for the cost to do the deletes.  There's pros and cons to both sides of it. 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
7.3 fuel system is inferior.  Auto trans are not good.  Loud.  33% more parts to break.  mpg is less than 5.9 cummins.  Power is less.  That said they are good and rate # 2 from me.  5.9 cummins is the best period.  No contest here.

I've never touched my fuel system, rebuilt the transmission at 400k because I thought it was slipping, turned out to be a oil pressure sensor, still pulls my loaded 22' boat over the pass on cruise at 75mph without kicking down and continues to get 18 mpg daily driving........all while approaching half a million miles! YMMV :twocents:
That is remarkable!  I did say #2.  I love em but love cummins much more.  200k ready for 4th trans, sensors(cam etc) injector harness, glow plugs, relays, injectors, fuel sytem/bowl issues, Ball joints, u joints, so I didn't have great luck.  I did love the truck though!

If you were including injectors in "fuel system" then I lied, I changed the injectors last summer. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
there was an 2006 duramax with 150k miles on here in the last 60 days if you go looking that would be a good choice to explore for $22k.  don't know if it is gone, but worth looking back through the thread.

edit.  took me a few minutest to find it, but this was the link I was referring to.  based on what you described, I think this would be a good option if it fits your budget.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,209930.0.html

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:14 PM »
I have owned a 2002 7.3 powerstroke and now own a 2007 5.9 cummins. The 7.3 was a great power plant and was pretty reliable other than the cam pos sensor going out a couple times. I now have a 2007 mega cab 5.9 with 150k on it and have had zero issues so far. The power is a bit different in the 5.9 as it definitely feels to have more low end torque than the 7.3 but that's just my experience. I am getting great fuel economy out of my 5.9 and have found nothing to complain about at this point. I don't think you can go wrong with a 01 or 02 7.3 or a 06-07  5.9 cummins,  both very stout power plants.

Just a heads up on these comments. Mid-model year 2007 switched to the 6.7L Cummins with all the emissions crap on it. Those things were constant problems. By all means, if you find a good '07 Ram go for it, just make sure it's the 5.9L. It's kind of become a bit of a unicorn.

It is the 5.9, had it shipped here from Wyoming.

Online RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
Have never owned a Ford truck, but have owned a couple Ford cars and one SUV. With that said I have a 1999 Dodge diesel 5.9 24 valve with a five speed, I factory ordered it and it had 14 miles on it when I picked it up. It now has 260ish thousand miles on it. Other than oil changes, fuel, and tires the only major mechanical issues have been two lift pumps and one injector pump in 18 years. This buy far has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, but as stated earlier the little stuff is breaking, back window leaks off and on, one wing door handle does not work, etc. Actually getting ready to buy a new Dodge just waiting for the right deal and finish saving some cash for a down payment.
IAFF #3728

Offline Jeremy Leaf

• Tracker
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
I'd have to put another vote in for the Ford 1999 to 2003 7.3 models.  I've had one with a six spd shaker stick forever.   I pull a 23' walkaround all over the west coast year round.  It's been extremely dependable and gets great mileage.

Offline 2labs

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
I'd have to put another vote in for the Ford 1999 to 2003 7.3 models.  I've had one with a six spd shaker stick forever.   I pull a 23' walkaround all over the west coast year round.  It's been extremely dependable and gets great mileage.

Yea, but special people will never believe you!......
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:23 PM »
First diesel I had was a used '88 Ford naturally aspirated 7.3 snail. Second one was a used '97 7.3 power stroke. Both Fords were autos and the '97 had some slippage. The '97 also had a high altitude starting problem, I probably would have figured it out if I hadn't hit an elk on I-90 going 70. Both Fords were totaled.

Third I had an brand new '09 dodge 2500 diesel 6 spd, every 18 months had to take it in for a egr cooler grid cleanout (or something like that); had one of the u-joints on the front axle start to lock up, felt like I was in 4x when I was turning when I wasn't; last straw, the windshield started to leak. After three years traded it in for an '02 Dodge with a 5.9 that was a great truck for five years (also totaled). I'm now looking at getting a '05 Dodge. The 5.9 long beds with decent mileage are very hard to find!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline KimWar1911

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:16 AM »
First diesel I had was a used '88 Ford naturally aspirated 7.3 snail. Second one was a used '97 7.3 power stroke. Both Fords were autos and the '97 had some slippage. The '97 also had a high altitude starting problem, I probably would have figured it out if I hadn't hit an elk on I-90 going 70. Both Fords were totaled.

Third I had an brand new '09 dodge 2500 diesel 6 spd, every 18 months had to take it in for a egr cooler grid cleanout (or something like that); had one of the u-joints on the front axle start to lock up, felt like I was in 4x when I was turning when I wasn't; last straw, the windshield started to leak. After three years traded it in for an '02 Dodge with a 5.9 that was a great truck for five years (also totaled). I'm now looking at getting a '05 Dodge. The 5.9 long beds with decent mileage are very hard to find!
I love my 05. Has low miles at 125k. A bigger back seat would be nice like the newer ones have but then I'd have to have a 6.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
Totaled that many trucks, hmm kind of hard on them aren't you?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »
there was an 2006 duramax with 150k miles on here in the last 60 days if you go looking that would be a good choice to explore for $22k.  don't know if it is gone, but worth looking back through the thread.

edit.  took me a few minutest to find it, but this was the link I was referring to.  based on what you described, I think this would be a good option if it fits your budget.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,209930.0.html

Appreciate the "google fu" Whacker, I'll give that fella a call.  Good stuff folks, this is what I've been looking for, a simple what you liked and didn't like and why.  Appreciate all the help.

I looked at the ad for this truck when it first came out. If I was in the market for another truck with the LBZ. I would be giving this one serious consideration.

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
I've been a diesel mechanic for close to 17 years now. For 10 years I worked at a peterbilt dealer as the lead engine guy and for the last 7 years I've worked for the local municipality fleet. All of the engines mentioned have their issues and nuances. The biggest issues with diesels is from a maintenance stand point. A lot of people think that just because it's a diesel it will last longer. That's true if you maintain it. Diesels are quite a bit more $ to maintain over the life of them. If you're hauling regularly then it's a great way to go. Most of the diesels nowadays are great motors. Nothing has really changed much other then the emissions. Even the 6.0 ford is a great motor( it just needs a little money to make it that way). Also idling a new motor kills the emission system. Don't idle it for hours. Just drive it normally and you should be fine. New truck are a little more maintenance but if you pick up an older truck you're also going to pay for it. A buddy of mine picked up a nice Durand with low miles and 10 years old and payed 30k for it. So keep an eye out for good deals. If I was you and it's just an opinion, I would look at dodge or chevy. Dodge has a great base platform and it's proven. It's a straight six and those motors have a longer torque curve( no opposing cylinders). The only thing about dodge I dislike coming from a tech standpoint is dodge only allows you to see certain parameters for diagnoses. If you like to do your own work this can be a downfall. Duramax is a great motor(2004.5-early 07 before dpf). One thing you should look into is puttin a pyrometers guage to watch your exhaust temps when pulling. That will cook any motor no matter how great it is. It's a tough decision but those 2 engines are probably going to be cheaper maintenance in the long run. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
Some good info there!! Old truckers never die they just get a new Peterbuilt
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]