collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Diesel Truck Engine  (Read 25587 times)

Offline denali

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/bret.greene
Re: Best Diesel Truck Engine
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
My 2005 Cummins just turned 300,000 miles.  my second transmission is starting to shift funny however  :rolleyes:
Honesty is the best policy,  but insanity is a better defense.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »
My 05 Ram is at 149k.  18mpg 12-14 towing.  20 on freeway at 65.  Turbo and tuner and gauges.  6" lift and 35"s.  Auto trans.  2m fuel filter.  No problems yet from the cummins.  Ball joints, pitman, shocks, brakes from the truck.  Really been a great truck.  My biggest complaint is I don't like how the Dodges steer-all of these years.  Ford drives smoother. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline 2labs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
My 05 Ram is at 149k.  18mpg 12-14 towing.  20 on freeway at 65.  Turbo and tuner and gauges.  6" lift and 35"s.  Auto trans.  2m fuel filter.  No problems yet from the cummins.  Ball joints, pitman, shocks, brakes from the truck.  Really been a great truck.  My biggest complaint is I don't like how the Dodges steer-all of these years.  Ford drives smoother.

Dodge wander,... Acountince has3 dui's from the dodge wander! He deserved every one!
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
I've been a diesel mechanic for close to 17 years now. For 10 years I worked at a peterbilt dealer as the lead engine guy and for the last 7 years I've worked for the local municipality fleet. All of the engines mentioned have their issues and nuances. The biggest issues with diesels is from a maintenance stand point. A lot of people think that just because it's a diesel it will last longer. That's true if you maintain it. Diesels are quite a bit more $ to maintain over the life of them. If you're hauling regularly then it's a great way to go. Most of the diesels nowadays are great motors. Nothing has really changed much other then the emissions. Even the 6.0 ford is a great motor( it just needs a little money to make it that way). Also idling a new motor kills the emission system. Don't idle it for hours. Just drive it normally and you should be fine. New truck are a little more maintenance but if you pick up an older truck you're also going to pay for it. A buddy of mine picked up a nice Durand with low miles and 10 years old and payed 30k for it. So keep an eye out for good deals. If I was you and it's just an opinion, I would look at dodge or chevy. Dodge has a great base platform and it's proven. It's a straight six and those motors have a longer torque curve( no opposing cylinders). The only thing about dodge I dislike coming from a tech standpoint is dodge only allows you to see certain parameters for diagnoses. If you like to do your own work this can be a downfall. Duramax is a great motor(2004.5-early 07 before dpf). One thing you should look into is puttin a pyrometers guage to watch your exhaust temps when pulling. That will cook any motor no matter how great it is. It's a tough decision but those 2 engines are probably going to be cheaper maintenance in the long run. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

What are the temperature parameters for a 03 duramax? My gauge beeps at 1,200. I try to run it up hills with 20psi boost and around 900-1000, 2,300rpm seems to be the sweet spot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »
I think the Duramax will take 1300 for a very short period of time. But I wouldn't want it to hang there very long.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 07:15:49 AM »

Did you have a Shift kit Installed in your trans?

If not, it's worth the $.  Not only does it shift smoother and eliminates the shuttle shift, it allows fluid flow thru the trans cooler in park.
They are cheap, I'd also upgrade the servo and gov pressure solenoid, if not already done.

With all this done, these trans will last a lot longer than a stock re-build.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:47 AM »
I've been a diesel mechanic for close to 17 years now. For 10 years I worked at a peterbilt dealer as the lead engine guy and for the last 7 years I've worked for the local municipality fleet. All of the engines mentioned have their issues and nuances. The biggest issues with diesels is from a maintenance stand point. A lot of people think that just because it's a diesel it will last longer. That's true if you maintain it. Diesels are quite a bit more $ to maintain over the life of them. If you're hauling regularly then it's a great way to go. Most of the diesels nowadays are great motors. Nothing has really changed much other then the emissions. Even the 6.0 ford is a great motor( it just needs a little money to make it that way). Also idling a new motor kills the emission system. Don't idle it for hours. Just drive it normally and you should be fine. New truck are a little more maintenance but if you pick up an older truck you're also going to pay for it. A buddy of mine picked up a nice Durand with low miles and 10 years old and payed 30k for it. So keep an eye out for good deals. If I was you and it's just an opinion, I would look at dodge or chevy. Dodge has a great base platform and it's proven. It's a straight six and those motors have a longer torque curve( no opposing cylinders). The only thing about dodge I dislike coming from a tech standpoint is dodge only allows you to see certain parameters for diagnoses. If you like to do your own work this can be a downfall. Duramax is a great motor(2004.5-early 07 before dpf). One thing you should look into is puttin a pyrometers guage to watch your exhaust temps when pulling. That will cook any motor no matter how great it is. It's a tough decision but those 2 engines are probably going to be cheaper maintenance in the long run. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

What are the temperature parameters for a 03 duramax? My gauge beeps at 1,200. I try to run it up hills with 20psi boost and around 900-1000, 2,300rpm seems to be the sweet spot.

Best test for EGT limit is to load your truck heavy, usually done with a trailer or 5er, and haul up as steep a hill as you can find, drive it like you would a normal trip, or a little harder.  Make sure if you have a programmer to put it back to stock first.  Then watch your EGT's and see what the max it reaches is.  That should be your max, to be safe I would back it off a bit.
I set mine up to alarm at 1250 and then defuel the truck.  My test was closer to 1300.  I used to hit the alarm quiet a bit going over the pass', so I upgraded my exhaust and intake.  Now I rarely hit, usually right before a down shift, if ever.

Sorry for the thread jack.   :sry:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2017, 07:48:38 AM »
My 2005 Cummins just turned 300,000 miles.  my second transmission is starting to shift funny however  :rolleyes:

You got a brake light out....
:)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »

Best test for EGT limit is to load your truck heavy, usually done with a trailer or 5er, and haul up as steep a hill as you can find, drive it like you would a normal trip, or a little harder.  Make sure if you have a programmer to put it back to stock first.  Then watch your EGT's and see what the max it reaches is.  That should be your max, to be safe I would back it off a bit.
I set mine up to alarm at 1250 and then defuel the truck.  My test was closer to 1300.  I used to hit the alarm quiet a bit going over the pass', so I upgraded my exhaust and intake.  Now I rarely hit, usually right before a down shift, if ever.

Very good info. Obviously lower is going to be better. 1300 degrees is pushing the limit. I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time. If you get to that point you need to let off the fuel and or downshift to get your rpms up. Or you can run bigger exhaust. You can have all the fancy high horsepower stuff on an engine but if you can't get rid of the heat it's all useless.

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Some good info there!! Old truckers never die they just get a new Peterbuilt
Peterbilt for life! Lol

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »

Very good info. Obviously lower is going to be better. 1300 degrees is pushing the limit. I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time. If you get to that point you need to let off the fuel and or downshift to get your rpms up. Or you can run bigger exhaust. You can have all the fancy high horsepower stuff on an engine but if you can't get rid of the heat it's all useless.

Out of curiousity, how much can you really lower temps with a Cat back exhaust change?  Obviously with Turbo back and emissions delete this would have a much greater effect, but I thought it was worth the question.  I am about to purchase a newer 6.7 F350 and was curious what I can really do without screwing up the warranty.

Offline denali

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/bret.greene
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »

As soon as I posted I figured someone would call me out, I'm on it  :)
Honesty is the best policy,  but insanity is a better defense.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
I always slow down when hauling. Hit 64mph and get out of OD. It pulls anything at that speed. Or, alternately, get up to 82 mph. I have 3.5" straight through. It's a noisey baskird.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »

Cat back exhaust?  what size pipe? and how much do you think you lowered EGT in normal use under load?  100 degrees?   more?  and what intake?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »

As soon as I posted I figured someone would call me out, I'm on it  :)

I'm pretty sure I see every burned out light bulb on the road.
:chuckle:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull