collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Diesel Truck Engine  (Read 25585 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Best Diesel Truck Engine
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
Even the ones in your own vehicle?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
210,000 miles on my bulletproofed 6.0 2005  Powerstroke, and still going strong.  All original front end, u-joints, injectors.  No major work, except the egr system upgrade.  I had a '99 7.3, which was as good one, but the 6.0 is a lot quieter, and plenty of power.   :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
Even the ones in your own vehicle?

I had one that plagued me recently. Was intermittently not working. Replaced the bulb, it would work then not work. Eventually crapped out completely. Found it to be some aftermarket module/flux capacitor they installed when they installed the hitch and trailer wires. $49 and good as new.

:jacked:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
I know cummins will run 1300egt all day.  I did stock test and she ran about 1320 degrees max.  I set my warning at 1300 and back off at 1350.  No issues.  I saw a cummins demo where they ran the 5.9 under 100% load for 24 hours strait at 1300 egt.  It was for a marine application but still makes the point.  People back off to early cause they don't know whats safe.  I kick off OD when towing and pull hills around 1200egt @ 60mph+.  Must keep rpm up higher to cool.  But I have upgrade turbo too. Yes I did a trans flush filter and solenoid upgrades at 90k when I bought truck.  I intend on rebuilding trans soon but it still works fine.  I slip torque converter if I put too much power down and still have shuttle shift issue.  If its a 325hp engine I am probably running about 425hp and 7-800tq empty and 375 750 towing.  I have to dial it back because trans cant take any more then 2 or 3 on tunes.  If heavier I have ran stock tune with good results.  Only issue is around 35-40 mph between 2nd and drive.  If I let it lug(EGT) or downshift to 2nd it doesn't like to lock up and creates trans heat when towing hills.  Anyone who tows without trans (auto) temp is asking for problems-guaranteed!  One thing for sure is this Dodge will pull the guts out of my 01 Ford 350 however the Fords big eng and big turbo did a good job of cooling heavy loads, better than stock dodge little turbo does.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
I've been a diesel mechanic for close to 17 years now. For 10 years I worked at a peterbilt dealer as the lead engine guy and for the last 7 years I've worked for the local municipality fleet. All of the engines mentioned have their issues and nuances. The biggest issues with diesels is from a maintenance stand point. A lot of people think that just because it's a diesel it will last longer. That's true if you maintain it. Diesels are quite a bit more $ to maintain over the life of them. If you're hauling regularly then it's a great way to go. Most of the diesels nowadays are great motors. Nothing has really changed much other then the emissions. Even the 6.0 ford is a great motor( it just needs a little money to make it that way). Also idling a new motor kills the emission system. Don't idle it for hours. Just drive it normally and you should be fine. New truck are a little more maintenance but if you pick up an older truck you're also going to pay for it. A buddy of mine picked up a nice Durand with low miles and 10 years old and payed 30k for it. So keep an eye out for good deals. If I was you and it's just an opinion, I would look at dodge or chevy. Dodge has a great base platform and it's proven. It's a straight six and those motors have a longer torque curve( no opposing cylinders). The only thing about dodge I dislike coming from a tech standpoint is dodge only allows you to see certain parameters for diagnoses. If you like to do your own work this can be a downfall. Duramax is a great motor(2004.5-early 07 before dpf). One thing you should look into is puttin a pyrometers guage to watch your exhaust temps when pulling. That will cook any motor no matter how great it is. It's a tough decision but those 2 engines are probably going to be cheaper maintenance in the long run. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

What are the temperature parameters for a 03 duramax? My gauge beeps at 1,200. I try to run it up hills with 20psi boost and around 900-1000, 2,300rpm seems to be the sweet spot.

Best test for EGT limit is to load your truck heavy, usually done with a trailer or 5er, and haul up as steep a hill as you can find, drive it like you would a normal trip, or a little harder.  Make sure if you have a programmer to put it back to stock first.  Then watch your EGT's and see what the max it reaches is.  That should be your max, to be safe I would back it off a bit.
I set mine up to alarm at 1250 and then defuel the truck.  My test was closer to 1300.  I used to hit the alarm quiet a bit going over the pass', so I upgraded my exhaust and intake.  Now I rarely hit, usually right before a down shift, if ever.

Sorry for the thread jack.   :sry:
Very good info. Obviously lower is going to be better. 1300 degrees is pushing the limit. I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time. If you get to that point you need to let off the fuel and or downshift to get your rpms up. Or you can run bigger exhaust. You can have all the fancy high horsepower stuff on an engine but if you can't get rid of the heat it's all useless.

Out of curiousity, how much can you really lower temps with a Cat back exhaust change?  Obviously with Turbo back and emissions delete this would have a much greater effect, but I thought it was worth the question.  I am about to purchase a newer 6.7 F350 and was curious what I can really do without screwing up the warranty.

I have a Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, 2006 so no emissions BS to deal with. Single out the back
AFE intake and filter

I dropped about 100 degrees on average.  Just enough to keep me under 1250 95% of the time when towing.
I NEVER hit that unless loaded, and I did before.  It's a bit loud, but not horrible.  Worth the $$ in my mind.

Watch the warranty stuff, most aftermarket parts void warranties from what I'm told.  I waited unitl my warranty was up before doing anything to my truck.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
I know cummins will run 1300egt all day.  I did stock test and she ran about 1320 degrees max.  I set my warning at 1300 and back off at 1350.  No issues.  I saw a cummins demo where they ran the 5.9 under 100% load for 24 hours strait at 1300 egt.  It was for a marine application but still makes the point.  People back off to early cause they don't know whats safe.  I kick off OD when towing and pull hills around 1200egt @ 60mph+.  Must keep rpm up higher to cool.  But I have upgrade turbo too. Yes I did a trans flush filter and solenoid upgrades at 90k when I bought truck.  I intend on rebuilding trans soon but it still works fine.  I slip torque converter if I put too much power down and still have shuttle shift issue.  If its a 325hp engine I am probably running about 425hp and 7-800tq empty and 375 750 towing.  I have to dial it back because trans cant take any more then 2 or 3 on tunes.  If heavier I have ran stock tune with good results.  Only issue is around 35-40 mph between 2nd and drive.  If I let it lug(EGT) or downshift to 2nd it doesn't like to lock up and creates trans heat when towing hills.  Anyone who tows without trans (auto) temp is asking for problems-guaranteed!  One thing for sure is this Dodge will pull the guts out of my 01 Ford 350 however the Fords big eng and big turbo did a good job of cooling heavy loads, better than stock dodge little turbo does.

Do you have a TC lockup switch (mystery switch)?  Best thing I ever did for towing, 2nd gear locked pulls like a mother, and keeps the trans temp in check.
Especially over Hwy 20 climbing slow around all the corners above the lakes, trans temp hardly moves.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
Why yes I do!  It is a great mod.  If I don't control shift and it downshifts to 2nd on its own it does the slippy thing before lockup and is a PIA to correct.  It happen to me on white pass following buddy in his slow F550 7.3.  I wasn't paying attention and temps rocketed!  I lead now and just wait for him.  I put TS 100hp chip on that 1999 Superpoopy and it has turbo mod, intake and straight exhaust with manual trans and I run circles around it, just saying.  It is a workhorse though.  Oh I have a muffler and that's it, stock 4" exhaust.  Yes its quiet, except for turbo whine.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Just found out recently that shuttle shift can be caused by fouled battery terminals, specifically the passenger side battery. At least that was true on my '02 ram.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
Just found out recently that shuttle shift can be caused by fouled battery terminals, specifically the passenger side battery. At least that was true on my '02 ram.

Yes 98-02 there is interference on a wire that can cause it.

If you wrap the wire in tin foil its a cheap fix.

Check you tube for it

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
great topic with lots of info  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
On the superduty 7.3 99-03 unplug the red vacuum line from turbo gate and plug it.  Turbo will spool faster instead of bleeding off.  More responsive.  Also 6637 big azz air filter mod is great.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
Just saw this! My gen. 1 6.7 is still chugging along fine with 105k on it. Ive owned it new since I bought it in 07. Only complaint is I lifted it.  :chuckle: It eats 37" tires and drives like a tank. Ive replaced nearly every front end component with either moog or spicer parts too. Added a steering stabilizer as well.. :tup:
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2017, 12:34:16 AM »
Just saw this! My gen. 1 6.7 is still chugging along fine with 105k on it. Ive owned it new since I bought it in 07. Only complaint is I lifted it.  :chuckle: It eats 37" tires and drives like a tank. Ive replaced nearly every front end component with either moog or spicer parts too. Added a steering stabilizer as well.. :tup:
Ya me too.  Ball joints are a PIA!  Upgrade your front coils.  Les schabby are crap.  Much better riding coils available for not too much coin.  I have a wide spaced 6ish coil that rides way better than friends 08 with 8+ stiff schabby springs.  I went to 35" tire and it helped.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
Stock 2016 Duramax and I'm having no problem pulling our 5'er over these Colorado mountain passes.  Just crossed Monarch Pass 2 weeks ago which is 11,300 ft elevation with a 6%+ grade for a long ways on each side.  Tow haul mode going up and trans temp never went above 152*.  Easily pulled up and over with normal traffic flow.   Used the exhaust brake on the way down for a 38-45mph decent without touching the brakes for 10 miles.  Not bad for having a 41' trailer behind it.

Online timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »
OBS F350 7.3L Powerstroke  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]