collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Uninvited Guests in Camp......  (Read 14726 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Uninvited Guests in Camp......
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
Years ago my friends and family were dry camping in little natches, during the middle of the night some guy came into our camp and was stealing stuff.  My friend saw him and yelled, we all came out with guns and went looking, turns out he was hiding under one of our vehicles. We had young kids and a baby in camp, we were not happy.  We drug him out from under the car and held him at gun point(points).  He spent some time in the mud puddle when he tried to get up, two hours later we had the sheriff in our camp.  He gave us 2 choices, one, we take care of him ourselves but we couldn't expire him, I swear that is the truth. Or he would write the guy a ticket and take him 10 miles down the road.  We had a democratic vote and he got to go with the sheriff by a couple votes.  I wanted to duct tape him to a tree naked, the mosquitoes were very bad.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
Came back to camp to find a small Grizzly Bear walking down the beach towards our camp fired one warning shot out of my 44 and he quickly entered the brush and was gone. We pulled camp and motored about 10 miles away  :chuckle:
IAFF #3728

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
I'll take the fury ones over the 8 legged variety. Once in elk camp we realized that the ground was crawling with Daddy Longlegs all around our campfire. I don't know if it was the heat or light but they were converging on the fire pit. It was unsettling.

My son and I were camping at Brown Creek Campground during bear and Grouse season. After a hard rain all day, we were sitting around the fire after dinner, when I felt something on my hand I shook it off. A minute later I felt it again. looked down and saw hundreds and hundreds of Daddy-long-legs all over the ground and us. We both jumped up and did the spider dance to get them off. Then we noticed they were running at extreme high speed, and literally jumping into the fire with a POP! committing Harakiri!
this went on for about an 15 minutes, then they were all gone!

:dunno:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
 Range cows .

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
Range cows .
:yeah: man they've gotten me before.  Packed it all up and slept in the truck.  No way I was going back to sleep that night outside. 

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
wallowa Lake,  Daughters stern mommy voice was little help

I too have the Lake Wallowa deer pics. I have one somewhere of me trying to pack the cooler and a young  2x2 has his nose in my cooler wanting my "Little Debbie" Swilss Rolls.

Range cows .

I grew up fishing the Tucannon River and can remember many a summer nights/mornings waking to cows walking through the camp tripping over the rain fly ropes. Had a tent almost come down one morning from cows kicking the stakes out of the ground.

Took the Boy Scout troop on a 70 mile canoe trip down the Columbia River. We camped near Ring Gold for the night and had several coyotes walk around our camp yipping. It was a long night for a couple young boys.
God Bless,
Scott

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
On a camping trip when my brothers an i were young we slept in a tent with the grand parents dog as chaperone. We left the flap open so the dog could come in and out. When we woke the tent was full of little rabbits the dog had brought in during the night.
One year at m.an camp with my boys and their buds we had a couple loafs of bread that the boys left out taken. One was across the creak and the other scattered on the creek bank by the tent. The only tracks found were small cat tracks in the mud.
The most memorable was at elk camp with two of my younger brothers. In the middle of the night i heard some weird noises out side. Looked to my brother that was awake and he was about freaked. There was lots of little whistles all around, huffs and sounds of rustling around. Then some thing pissed on the side of the tent right next to my head. It happens that on this trip the tent door zipper was broke and the door was wide open with just a tarp draped over to keep the rain out. Me being me, I grabbed my shotgun and light, whispered to my brother (who had his pistol aimed at  the door) to come with me to investigate. He said in a fairly loud voice  HELL NO! then all went quiet. Never did find tracks in the morning after the rain. We assumed coyotes but i have never heard anything like it.
Have also had deer hang around, bear tracks, dug up fire pits, and a heard of elk move through camp in the night during deer season. You could see them in the star light. That was cool.

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
Had a moose wake me up at 2am....

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
On a mid July float down the Missouri river in Montana, we stopped after lunch to nap the hot part of the day away in the only shade we had seen for hours. We woke up to a herd of range cows surrounding us. The herd bull had a look on his face that clearly communicated...."You're in my shade, boy."

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
Spring bear last year I heard gnawing during the night outside my tent. Woke up to my hunting boots missing about 75% of the leather laces. Saw a snowshoe hare in camp the next day figured it was the vermin that did it.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
Fishing on the St Joe a few years ago. Had a mule deer doe get into the garbage at night and when I shined a light on her she had an MRE mashed potato bag stuck over her face. Pretty funny

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
Had a moose wake me up at 2am....

Did it bite your sister?

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Mice, chipmunks, deer, bugs, had a herd of elk move in during the night, bulls bugling and fighting, mountain goats, lots of mountain goats at the same time. The goats were the worst because they weren't scared of us, which made me nervous.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:05:13 AM »
Chipmunks, camp robbers (grey jays), mule deer are the most common for me. The chipmunks really get bold especially if you've fed them a handful of crumbs and the camp robbers can be brutal (landing on your head begging for snacks, and on occasion, they can get into tents and crap all over everything trying to fly out). The mule deer like to come around camp after dark and ruin my beauty rest and I've even had a couple of cow elk swing in to sniff and rustle around a tarp covered quad trailer (thought we had a bear in camp that night). I haven't really had any issues (knock on wood) with bears in camp for some reason.

What kind of uninvited forest guests have you had at your camps?

We woke up today to here footsteps in my wall tent, sure enough giant squirrel running around the bottom of my tent!! Shoed him out

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
Many, many years ago, I was in the OR coast range sleeping in the bottom of a clearcut next to a big fir tree in the hopes of ambushing the bull I had been seeing.  An hour or so after dark I heard claws on the other side of the tree.  Flipping on my flashlight, there was nothing there. Two hours, or more, later, I finally found the culprit... a four to five inch long Stag Beetle crawling around.  :chuckle:  And, of course, no elk in the morning....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]