collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Uninvited Guests in Camp......  (Read 14720 times)

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Uninvited Guests in Camp......
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »
We get visited by a cocky mountain goat every summer in our elk scouting camp.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
One of my coolest was a big male pine marten that walked between my uncle and me to our campfire, circled the campfire, circled both of us and then walked back out into the dark.  Fishing trip in the Cloud Peak Wilderness in Wyoming.  One of the funniest was a hitchhiker who rode on the skid plate of my truck for two hours, got home, parked and as we were getting out the truck started to squeak like an alarmed rock chuck.  My initial solution was lethal, but the wife prevailed - prodded him many times with a ski pole while he squeaked every time, he finally made a desperation run across the lawn and I popped a cooler over him and gave him a ride to the nearest marmot colony.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline croix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »
One year we were all trying to figure out which of the hunting partners was stealing one sock from everyone. Turns out the prankster was a pack-rat. That was my only kill that year.

Another year by buddy showed up late and brought his camp chairs (the green director chairs with the foam arms) into the cook tent. They had been in his shed since summer and as they warmed up the bees that were hibernating in the arms decided it must be spring and started to fill the tent. They are a  lot tougher to shoot than pack-rats.

-croix
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
I got a mouse in the tent trailer this year. The door wouldn't close all the way unless you took care to do so. That's how he got in. One morning I woke up to mouse turds everywhere on the stove. Down to Eagle Cliff and bought mouse traps. Dead mouse the next morning. I can't say i didn't kill anything this year.  :tup: We thought about having a rug made.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
I packed in 7 miles one year for the general Deer opener and I was sick as a dog!  I got up to hunt that next morning, made it a few steps out of camp and sat back down in a lawn chair that I had cached in the summer.  I sat in that chair all day long, couldn't eat, couldn't drink, I could barley move!  I was starring at the dirt, trying to keep my mind of being absolutely miserable and out of nowhere a big Blue Grouse flies into my little camp and just starts to feed.  A little while latter another one came in and I had the time of my life just watching them even though I felt like heck. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »
one that comes to mind was a few years back in oregon and we had these few chipmunks that would come into the vestibule of our tent and try to get into our totes of food. They didn't come in at night but loved to come in during the day when I was trying to take a nap. The little red devil's toenails and scratching sound on our plastic totes was enough to drive me nuts. On more than a few occasions I sat with the tent unzipped in my chair with a little shovel over my shoulder, waiting to whack them. Never connected but had a few close calls
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
Had a young bull moose come through my camp at daylight one year giving his "hey ladies" groan as he made his way through the bottom.

Couple years ago we had something coming in to camp making the strangest noises.  Kept hanging outside our tent making these mid pitched humming sounds.  Looked it up when we got back to town and we think it was a porcupine in heat.  So strange.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
I've had many run ins with mice. 

Seams to be more of an issue when it rains. 
A couple years back the little buggers were getting into my travel trailer under the bathroom sink.  Traps did the trick.  I think we nailed 8 total for the season.
Only thing hanging on the meat pole that year.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
Lots of stories for this one.  Great topic!

Offline Gearhead1940

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
We had a pocket gopher visit us on a camping trip this summer. Didn't know what it was until I looked it up. Have had a herd of elk grazing outside the tent trailer as we woke up and a few coyotes wake us up in the middle of the night howling.

Offline wafisherman

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 02:59:13 PM »
Once in elk camp we realized that the ground was crawling with Daddy Longlegs all around our campfire. I don't know if it was the heat or light but they were converging on the fire pit. It was unsettling.

No kidding!  I think that it's year dependent.  I remember one year on a WA hunt (using a wall tent with a wood stove that year) if you got up at night and turned on your headlamp, there was hundred and hundreds of them nasty little creatures crawling everywhere inside the tent!  I guess they're attracted to the warmth?

Saw that in texas once.  Walked into a campground restroom and there was a huge clump of them all pulsating in unison.  Very weird.  Random video I found similar:

Offline bhawley76

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »
Coons stealing halibut from the coolers during elk camp for me, Dirty buggers.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
I was sitting on the edge of a river bank in Alaska watching several caribou wandering around.   One walked right up to me like I wasn't there aiming for my chicken soup on the stove.  I yelled at him and he looked at me as if I had been invisible til then. A few others wandered over and grazed around me as calm as could be.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Playing card games by lantern light midnight in camp with family & friends... @ 8 Mile Lake - Enchantments Zone.
Suddenly, repeated loud huffing and puffing from thick brush next to us ... something large and aggressive ... multiple bluff charges from different directions (more than one?) ... couldn't get light on them immediately in pitch dark ... hearts pounding & adrenaline flowing ... Bear(s)? ... What? ... No... Big Doe!
Next Morning ... Doe & Fawn browsing peacefully next to camp ... Ohhh (she didn't want us there) ... Fawn must've been bedded nearby when Mama Doe returned that night.

Young Cougar romping outside tent @ night chasing mice ...and the small mouse herd scampering across tarp floor of sidewall tent to escape near South Navarre Lake Chelan. Tracks in fresh St Helens eruption ash fall next morning told story ... so cool to see kitty footprint detail down to hair follicle in fresh flour like volcanic ash fall from evening before.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:55:45 PM by MonstroMuley »
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline Bhunter253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
Several years ago we had a chipmunk take up residence in our camper. We thought about getting rid of him cause you'd randomly see his tail through a hole in the ceiling, but for some reason that chipmunck being there kept all the mice away so we let him stay. Never had another mouse for 3 years even gave away the camper with the chipmunk still in the ceiling.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]