collapse
LockNLoad Outfitting – Central Alberta Outfitter A lightweight orange vest that complements your technical hunting apparel!

Author Topic: Scouting deer while carrying a shotgun??  (Read 1879 times)

Offline dmoua

• TEAM PACKOUT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Scouting deer while carrying a shotgun??
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
I've been stopped by Fish and game while scouting with my rifle in the summer. They asked me why I was carrying a rifle. I asked them in return, is there a law stating I cannot carry a rifle? and their answer was simply no. We chatted for a few minutes before we went our own ways.

On a side note, if you have your 2017 Hunting license, coyote is open year round. You can use that as a reasoning as well even though you don't need one.
Instagram @dmoua_wa

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline sumpnz

• Hunter
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
If you are scouting an area that is known to (or could) contain bear or cougar (pretty much statewide), and bear/cougar season is open, if you get the bear and cougar tags (only an extra $11) you can claim, very legitimately that you are hunting bear and/or cougar while deer scouting.

As noted, even if it's too early for bear or cougar seasons to be open, or you don't want to pay for the tags, as long you have the current year license you can state you are coyote hunting while deer scouting. 

I think the only real issue is that you are not allowed to hunt coyotes at night with lights in areas open to general season deer or elk hunting during the respective seasons.  Which isn't what you are wanting to do anyway.

Offline hunter399

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 07:03:14 AM »
You can scout for deer out of season and carry a weapon.   

#11 on page 87.  Be sure to note below:

11    Hunting during modern firearm deer or elk seasons (WAC 232-12-242):   You may not hunt wildlife during any modern firearm deer or elk season, with any firearm    24 caliber or larger or containing slugs or buckshot for big game, unless you have a valid license, permit and tag for one of the following: deer, elk, black bear, cougar, mountain goat,  bighorn  sheep,  or  moose

Have fun!

Teamspokane@dfw.wa.gov

Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2017 1:02 PM
To: Team Spokane (DFW)
Subject: Hunting question

Hide quoted text

My question is are you allowed ,to scout for deer out of season,and no  hunting license,with a firearm .

I think no ,but some of my friends think it is legal .

Thanks

Mike

(Here is my email to wdfw , so yes u can scout for deer with a rifle without a licence.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:48:15 AM by hunter399 »

Offline fishnfur

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
A holstered sidearm of choice might make your scouting a bit easier.  To the casual observer, you also look less like you're hunting and more like you're just having a day in the woods.  :twocents: 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline BackStrappin

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
Just remember you are guilty until proven innocent these days.