collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear - Huckleberry 121  (Read 21170 times)

Offline LyonKing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Spring Bear - Huckleberry 121
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »
we saw 3 on Saturday in 121.  All of them around 2200 - 2500 ft elevation.  working the green up on skidder trails.  I rounded the corner and came face to face with a nice cinnamon bear.

That's awesome to hear, thanks for sharing! Sounds like its starting to heat up out there - wife is out of town for the week.... time to party 

Offline LyonKing

• Pilgrim
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
I saw a choclet bear wandering around 121 wile I was Turkey hunting

How'd you fair turkey hunting?

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
we saw 3 on Saturday in 121.  All of them around 2200 - 2500 ft elevation.  working the green up on skidder trails.  I rounded the corner and came face to face with a nice cinnamon bear.
Yup ours was right around that elevation as well. 2000' in the thick stuff.

LyonKing, I responded to your PM. Work the skidder roads!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »
I haven't even bothered to try heading up yet.  I don't know if the rain will ever let up.  It's been horrible since last October.  I am ready for sun and short sleeves.

I remember something about sun and short sleeves a long long time ago...

I don't know how it is on your end Dale, but on the southern end.....roads are sluffing everywhere and some serious slides are just a coin toss away. I won't have my kids with me in the truck up there for a while.

Roads are terrible everywhere, Hwy 395 between Colville and Kettle was closed again today as the Colville River is rising again and over the highway again.  :bash:
Is hwy 395 open now?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:01 AM »
Water in the Colville Valley has receded 6 to 8 feet feet in depth, Hwy 395 is open now between Colville and Kettle but closed near Barstow due to a short section that caved out of the whole highway. Inchelium Hwy also slid off and is closed. It would have sucked to find either of those at night!  :yike:

Many mountain roads are closed or washed out and the mud is worse than I've ever seen it, much of it has no bottom, don't take chances unless you are well equipped to get yourself out,  be careful!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
Shot a nice tom with a 9 inch beard

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
Water in the Colville Valley has receded 6 to 8 feet feet in depth, Hwy 395 is open now between Colville and Kettle but closed near Barstow due to a short section that caved out of the whole highway. Inchelium Hwy also slid off and is closed. It would have sucked to find either of those at night!  :yike:

Many mountain roads are closed or washed out and the mud is worse than I've ever seen it, much of it has no bottom, don't take chances unless you are well equipped to get yourself out,  be careful!  :tup:
I ran into a Stevens county road maintaince guy last weekend and he told me in 20 years with the department he's never seen anything like this.  The county doesn't have enough money to do the repair work on the major county roads let alone any of the smaller roads. He says some home owners in the more remote areas cant drive within a mile of their homes and he's afraid many of the roads wont get repaired this year.  Scary part is how many will dry out looking fairly good but could still slough off with the pressure of much travel.  He's truly thankful no one has been killed or badly hurt yet, but, as he put it, "it ain't over yet".  As Bearpaw said, be very carful out there and I'd recommend doing a little walking up some of the roads before you drive up em. Tow truck operators have been very busy and flat out won't go up many of the roads.  (I haven't seen any bears or bear sign yet this spring either)
as

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »

Saw the pictures in the Omak-Okanogan County Chronicle. Those roads look bad!
http://www.omakchronicle.com/photos/galleries/2017/apr/12/without-paddle/

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
We spent some time Sunday trenching to redirect some of the runoff off our mountains roads. Gotta give those county boys a hand.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 06:25:25 AM »
I thumped a good one yesterday. I'd focus on 10" tall grass. I shot mine @ 3pm and saw several fro. 12-3..hope that helps. Ps,  if it looks too soft....it is.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Btw, hides are perfect right now. The cold snap is helping us big time...the grass is up but the temp just fell.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
Awesome. Headed over this weekend. Glad you didn't get stuck.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
I thumped a good one yesterday. I'd focus on 10" tall grass. I shot mine @ 3pm and saw several fro. 12-3..hope that helps. Ps,  if it looks too soft....it is.
You are correct lol

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
You are correct lol

I think I saw your divot.....that whole area is bottomless around the crossings.

Offline hedhntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
your inbox is full..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw