collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Extreme Elk Magazine

Author Topic: Just got to thinking... why?  (Read 5263 times)

Online jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Just got to thinking... why?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »
This is the nature of separating user groups and the reason why most states allow you to hunt all seasons with the proper weapon. It's quite possible that WA went the way it did to purposely dilute the voice of the hunter and pander to the majority. We should be able to hunt big game all fall long during each season. It would spread out the hunters more and be a real change for increased opportunity.

Very well put....I 1000% agree!!   :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Offline Mfowl

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Your guys replies are funny.  I wasn't expecting you to be able to acknowledge the inequity and you delivered. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The inequity? Really? You guys got your later season dates with better rut timing. You got your lighted nocks and expandable broadheads. You have 2 lenghty seasons to hunt and you can harvest cows on a general tag. The squeaky wheel has been greased, shut up and hunt!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
Your guys replies are funny.  I wasn't expecting you to be able to acknowledge the inequity and you delivered. 😎

The inequity? Really? You guys got your later season dates with better rut timing. You got your lighted nocks and expandable broadheads. You have 2 lenghty seasons to hunt and you can harvest cows on a general tag. The squeaky wheel has been greased, shut up and hunt!

This is precisely what I was talking about. They've got us pointing fingers at each other so we don't point our fingers at them. Well played, WDFW, well played.  :tup: :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »

🤔 apples to apples it is still 14 to 13 with branch bull permit in hand.  I will still be hunting; you don't have to worry about that.  I will also be hunting out of state again after I am unsuccessful drawing a bull tag.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
Anyone with a brain goes out of state. General season out of state is way better than any westside permit you can even apply for...  I'll be cutting my hunting back dramatically here cause of the liberal agenda. I'll even take my business else where too with all this sanctuary city crap.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Being a hunter who archery hunts and rifle hunts. When I am helping friends or just out in the woods in sept. And hunting rifle elk with my friends, I see way more game in sept . Easier to locate etc. Now I am not saying they are easier to harvest but  I feel finding game is easier in sept, at least with elk.
If its brown knock it down

Offline Jellymon

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
I am predominantly a muzzleloader hunter. It was archers who complained during the last season setting process that ML hunters got days to hunt quality tags before the general season and archers did not. So instead of getting your extra days, you got the ML guys extra days before the season taken away. Thanks guys!  >:( Beyond that, archery is the fastest growing user group with rapidly advancing technology every year. The "hard way" is getting easier every year. You chose the "hard way." Why do archers feel that they deserve more than other groups? I'll trade you ML season for your archery season any time you like. I own a bow, ML, and rifles.  I happily hunt with them all. In fact, I'll be archery elk hunting this season because I am unhappy with the dates that ML gets for this year. A short 6 day season bumping up to opening weekend of modern firearm deer season. No thanks!

The technology is not rapidly advancing. Bows are no faster, no more accurate, and no easier to shoot than 10 yeaars ago. Quality may have gotten better and bows may be a bit quieter, but the technology advancements have been very slow for a long time. Actually Some bows, like Elites, had more letoff and were easier to shoot in 2010. All the latest and greatest now is all marketing. A fiber optic pin now is no differend then a fiber optic pin 10 years ago. Movable sight have been around a long time. Rests, not much different. Pro target shooters still use the old lizard tongue rests and QAD ultrarests are basically the same they were 10 years ago. The only thing thats gotten better is expandable broadheads, and the new ones are still inferior to fixed broadheads IMO. :twocents:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:54:03 PM by Jellymon »

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »
Like 777 powder and fiber optic pins were traditionally used on a flintlock...  don't go that route and pin us against each other. Muzzy guys got some new units too and I might just wait till October to start in Washington...  We are all hunters.  The seasons should be exactly like Idaho. Where the department gets its fair share in revenue and we get ours in hunting opportunitys. Less pressure spread out through the month means better time spent afield for all. We all know most of our hunts here are pressured due to lack of public land avalible. Pressured till there's no hunt for anyone. The game leaves the area. Even the permits are packed with Yahoos on the bugle tubes or road hunters one after another driving around and keeping the animals out of sight.  Hunting in Washington has gone to the wolf lover and non hunter. Sad to see. If they don't listen up people will start to catch on and take all this permit $ tag increase $ and overall hunting expenses to other states that accommodate hunters.

Online dreamingbig

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »
This wasn't a technology argument.  It was and is simply why should a modern firearm permit holder have 14 days while an archery permit holder only gets 13.  I think the archery permit holders should get a few extra days. At minimum they should have the same amount of days.  The permit doesn't carry over to late season.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
Probably because the archery season is during the rut when elk are bugling and are much easier to locate. Not to mention that they haven't been hunted yet. If people think the archery season isn't as good as modern firearm, they're free to purchase a modern firearm tag instead of an archery tag. They can even hunt with their bow during modern firearm season if they wish. I don't see where archery hunters have any room to complain.

Offline snake

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 07:23:40 PM »
For those of you that don't bow hunt, keep in mind there is a very good reason every other states archery season is at least 2 times as long as WA (rut or not).  We are all on the same team here.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
For those of you that don't bow hunt, keep in mind there is a very good reason every other states archery season is at least 2 times as long as WA (rut or not).  We are all on the same team here.

Yep, and the reason is those states have more elk and less people.

Oh, and I do archery hunt, just not every year.

Offline snake

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »

You don't have to lie to hang out buddy!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »

You don't have to lie to hang out buddy!

:dunno:

Offline stickslinger

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
Let me rephrase, I don't think anyone that draws a quality tag ( which is almost an oil tag in some areas) should not have at least 3 days in the woods with very limited pressure, I don't care what weapon or season they choose
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

Offline Mfowl

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
All hunting technology has advanced.  I believe this started with m fowl saying that archers complained and got their way...  :dunno: if any of the weapons seasons were liberal we'd have nothing to argue about.  This state has the worst seasons of any for what they call quality tags. I can't think of a westside archery quality tag that I would waste my points on.  Not one that is possible to draw. 

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
It doesn't matter how tech has advanced for any method of hunting. It's either allowed or it isn't. The whole argument of "your season is better than my season" is ridiculous and allows the WDFW to sit back and watch us weaken our voice. We all should be able to hunt all seasons. Change this argument from being against your fellow hunters to one against the WDFW as "your regulations/opportunities suck as compared to other states' regulations/opportunities".
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
We all should be able to hunt all seasons.

We can. Just not in the same year.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
That's helpful.

What was the Fred Bear quote about supporting other hunters in how they choose to hunt?

Online jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
Everyone needs to read "5 dysfunctions of a team" and then reply to this post.  We are all part of the same team and we are failing miserably which ultimately going to be the death of our sport.  Very sad....

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Seriously? We are failing? How? Because we support regulating ourselves in such a way as to preserve our elk populations in Washington state? Do we really want everyone to have a multiple season elk tag? Supporting such a thing is supporting the team? Really? If so then I guess I don't support the "team" and I never will.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
We're not regulating ourselves. The WDFW is regulating us. And, we have less opportunity here than in most of the lower 48. How is it that other states let their hunters hunt during all of the seasons and maintain populations? How is it that hunter numbers have steadily declined since 1970 yet opportunities have not proportionately increased for the remaining hunters?

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
What I said before- the other states have more elk and less people, and even more importantly much more elk habitat AND public land that is open to hunting. I'll ask this- does California have more or less elk hunting opportunity than us?

Online jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
Seriously? We are failing? How? Because we support regulating ourselves in such a way as to preserve our elk populations in Washington state? Do we really want everyone to have a multiple season elk tag? Supporting such a thing is supporting the team? Really? If so then I guess I don't support the "team" and I never will.

I guess you will have to read the book to understand my statement.  If you think hunters as a team (group) are not failing then you have your head in the sand.   We lose ground every year to the state and the tree huggers.....We fight internally and have no plan.  We are failing.....period. 

ElkNut Outdoor Productions