collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Just got to thinking... why?  (Read 13055 times)

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Just got to thinking... why?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
Everyone needs to read "5 dysfunctions of a team" and then reply to this post.  We are all part of the same team and we are failing miserably which ultimately going to be the death of our sport.  Very sad....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Seriously? We are failing? How? Because we support regulating ourselves in such a way as to preserve our elk populations in Washington state? Do we really want everyone to have a multiple season elk tag? Supporting such a thing is supporting the team? Really? If so then I guess I don't support the "team" and I never will.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
We're not regulating ourselves. The WDFW is regulating us. And, we have less opportunity here than in most of the lower 48. How is it that other states let their hunters hunt during all of the seasons and maintain populations? How is it that hunter numbers have steadily declined since 1970 yet opportunities have not proportionately increased for the remaining hunters?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
What I said before- the other states have more elk and less people, and even more importantly much more elk habitat AND public land that is open to hunting. I'll ask this- does California have more or less elk hunting opportunity than us?

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
Seriously? We are failing? How? Because we support regulating ourselves in such a way as to preserve our elk populations in Washington state? Do we really want everyone to have a multiple season elk tag? Supporting such a thing is supporting the team? Really? If so then I guess I don't support the "team" and I never will.

I guess you will have to read the book to understand my statement.  If you think hunters as a team (group) are not failing then you have your head in the sand.   We lose ground every year to the state and the tree huggers.....We fight internally and have no plan.  We are failing.....period. 

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »

I agree with this. Just because I am at odds with others on this issue does not mean that I do not or will not support other hunting groups. As I stated previously, I own a bow. I've hunted with it and will continue to in the future. What bothers me is that a user group in a state where things aren't great for everyone, IMO, has the best opportunities yet isn't happy with them. On top of that, wants to complain openly about it and blame the other side for their rebuttals. I am a hunter, just give me a reason, bow, rifle, ML, fun, food or lifestyle. Sign me up.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
All the fighting would make sense if I was suggesting subtracting from other opportunities or user groups.  I wasn't.  I was suggesting adding 5 days for archery branch antlered permit holders without subtraction.

We should all be on the same team and support hunting.  Which is why the MF and Muzzleloader guys SHOULD support this change! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
By the way, one of the main reasons the archery season was pushed back was because there was too many animals spoiling.  Temps in early september can be into the 90's in some areas.  This decision was made from feedback from multiple groups including numerous butcher shops processing wild game.  Get your facts straight.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
What I said before- the other states have more elk and less people, and even more importantly much more elk habitat AND public land that is open to hunting. I'll ask this- does California have more or less elk hunting opportunity than us?

Oh yeah they are hurting so bad out east for elk habitat and public land... not enough areas to ride the quad...   :dunno:  there's plenty of elk and plenty of public land WHERE wdfw didn't let the property owners double dip on tax breaks and charge us for land that had already had access guaranteed.  Now, you can hunt a bull on the westside if you pay for access too. Or you can hunt a bull every eight or so years out east...  but the spike and cow opportunitys...  wdfw bent over for big timber and then put our hunting in the can.  Our state need a system identical to idahos. We must not have enough elk...  give me a break. More like they can't capitalize monetarily on the elk if they don't sell us wish hunts every year.  Or there not smart enough to do math and charge what needs to be charged to generate the same amount of revenue from general tags. 

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
So I have elected to eat my lunch slowly and therefore want a longer lunch hour.  You guys go back to work and I will be along shortly.
I'm habitually late and want the same raise that the punctual guys got.

I gotta say, I have never heard such persistent whining in my life.
Dreaminbig, did you get beat up a lot in school?

Again, life is not fair.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
What we're lacking in this state is winter range for elk. It's been converted to farms, orchards, and subdivisions. You can't tell me other western states don't have more and better quality elk habitat, and especially winter range.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
NW Surveyor - read the thread. Mine has all been above the belt.  No insults or name calling here.  Other folks have chimed in and started throwing stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 07:40:34 PM »
So, advocating for a way to make one user group more successful.  Then something has to be given up to maintain allocation.  A slice of general season?  Other permits?  Spike becomes true spike?  If not, then just trying to take allocation from other groups.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
How about if early general archery elk season gets shortened from 13 to 10 days except for bull tag holders who get those 3 days for their quality tags. If you want something that bad make the sacrifice from your own season.

So, advocating for a way to make one user group more successful.  Then something has to be given up to maintain allocation.  A slice of general season?  Other permits?  Spike becomes true spike?  If not, then just trying to take allocation from other groups.

:yeah:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
Why is it that rifle hunters gripe about muzzleloader and archery seasons and muzzleloaders gripe about the others...archery hunters gripe about getting the short end of the stick.  Use a different weapon if you don't  like it. :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]