collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Permits  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Elk Permits
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
The growing population of predators need something to eat too ;)
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline hunter_sean08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Just one of those things. Throw in a couple of tough winters on top of that drought in 2015 and this is where we end up. They're bringing the hammer down on a number of the coveted quality deer tags too. All in all, if it's for the good of the herds, then I'm all for it. May just be one of those years where it's better to build points instead of using them.

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
Well if That's the case, I'm for it.  Wonder if the tribes will take any of this in consideration?
Nope seen plenty of fetus on the side of carcasses in the Gifford Pinchot NF this winter out hiking after I hear a bunch a shooting the day before. Everybody knows it's the tribes. Nobody seems to give a darn. Sad sad times we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Wonder why such a difference between Washington and Idaho.  I don't think we (Washington) know how many elk we have. :bash:

Idaho
Elk have fared better and because previous years mild winters helped grow elk herds, hunters will see added opportunity for cow elk hunting in both controlled hunts and general hunts.

Radio-collar data shows statewide, about 76 percent of calves survived to mid March and about 98 percent of radio-collared cows were still alive.

Statewide elk populations should be similar to last year, and growing elk herds in certain areas have exceeded F&G’s population objectives and are causing problems on private lands.

“To get back to our objectives, we need to reduce the cow segment of those populations,” White said.
 Overall, F&G is adding 1,460 more controlled hunt tags for elk, which includes another 375 antlerless elk tags. It’s also adding general season hunting for cow elk in the Weiser River Zone and in the Panhandle Zone

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Huge drop in cow permits, I can't say I'm against it, but why that big of a cut?

WDFW is the worst department at managing game out of any department in the country. They are basically cutting the cow permits to 1/10th of what they were: from 300 to 30, from 250 to 25, from 100 to 10, etc etc etc..... Do you think you were giving out too many permits if you have to cut cow tags from 300 to 30 from one year to the next? They  have absolutely no clue how many elk are anywhere. They probably were out flying around and noticed, "Where did all the elk go?"

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
Long document but here's a link to the proposed changes:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2017/04/apr1417_09_summary.pdf

:yike: Good year to hunt out of state for elk. Come on Colorado.

This link is very hard to find. I would argue that this doesn't meet the public disclosure requirements that must be met before they can make quota changes of this magnitude. Similar to a couple years ago when they increased the cougar quotas but got challenged by the animal rights groups and had to roll them back until public comment could be taken. Resulting in a one year delay.

The WDFW news release has a link that takes you to the document that was submitted in February that shows the quotas remaining the same that they took public comment on in March.

If only the media gave a crap about the hunters in this state and made sure the WDFW was following the rules when they are reducing hunting opportunities.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:33:50 PM by CarbonHunter »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
The information was referenced in links in a news release.  It could have easier to find.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/mar0917a/
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
The information was referenced in links in a news release.  It could have easier to find.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/mar0917a/

Bob33 did you read the documents attached to that link?  Those documents say that they will be maintaining the current quotas from last year for the Yakima herd not reducing the opportunities. It also says that the public comment period has ended.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
you got me interested  :yeah: where are these attachments
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline Allen23

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »

The growing population of predators need something to eat too ;)
:yeah: TELL HIM WHAT HE"S WON JONNY!!!!!! Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!!
In a world where it is so easy to attach your self to the negative side of things remember, What would Grandpa say?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal