collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: gmc canyon vs Toyota Tacoma  (Read 18332 times)

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: gmc canyon vs Toyota Tacoma
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2017, 01:02:46 AM »
Off road the Tacoma eats up the Colorado and Canyons. Aproach angle is important in the elk woods!
You must mean AFTER you replace the rear springs that Toyota just can't quite seem to spec and supply....and that's if the frame isn't too rotten to bolt them ob

Gripe all you want about rotting toyota frame. Do tell me how many rusted out tacomas you yourself have experienced??? In the first year of recall over early tacoma frame rust I saw maybe 4-5 full frame swaps and maybe 10 traded in. I worked at vancouver toyota during this recall. And at that time they were the largest and dealer in the region.

You would be hard pressed to find a vehicle manufacturer that handled that the way they did, offering 1.5x vehicle value on trade buy back or frame swap. Not to mention the current resale on these same tacomas was never even phased by this. Logic would lead one to think that if tacomas had such horrible issues or poor performance there would be horrible resale value. Regardless of bro tax and hype they hold their value for obvious reasons.

As for the ridgeline. While they may be rated well in tests for this and that on new models, we work on plenty of earlier ridgelines and I can tell you they are garbage. Crap parts, butt ugly and if there's one thing honda can't ever get right it's a automatic transmission. Not to mention these "heavy duty" station wagons don't have actual frames and utilize a unibody instead, try dragging that over uneven obstacles. I've seen nothing in any of the newer Hondas to believe they've made significant changes to remedy similar problems in the future models
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:12:29 AM by shadowless_nite »

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2017, 04:41:05 AM »
Off road the Tacoma eats up the Colorado and Canyons. Aproach angle is important in the elk woods!
You must mean AFTER you replace the rear springs that Toyota just can't quite seem to spec and supply....and that's if the frame isn't too rotten to bolt them ob

Gripe all you want about rotting toyota frame. Do tell me how many rusted out tacomas you yourself have experienced??? In the first year of recall over early tacoma frame rust I saw maybe 4-5 full frame swaps and maybe 10 traded in. I worked at vancouver toyota during this recall. And at that time they were the largest and dealer in the region.

You would be hard pressed to find a vehicle manufacturer that handled that the way they did, offering 1.5x vehicle value on trade buy back or frame swap. Not to mention the current resale on these same tacomas was never even phased by this. Logic would lead one to think that if tacomas had such horrible issues or poor performance there would be horrible resale value. Regardless of bro tax and hype they hold their value for obvious reasons.

As for the ridgeline. While they may be rated well in tests for this and that on new models, we work on plenty of earlier ridgelines and I can tell you they are garbage. Crap parts, butt ugly and if there's one thing honda can't ever get right it's a automatic transmission. Not to mention these "heavy duty" station wagons don't have actual frames and utilize a unibody instead, try dragging that over uneven obstacles. I've seen nothing in any of the newer Hondas to believe they've made significant changes to remedy similar problems in the future models

I had the leaf spring recall on my truck. Couldn't believe how easy it was. Drove it up to dealer, free rental for the day, brand new 1600 dollar leafs installed. Truck washed and ready to go. No waiting for approval or inspection just did it.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2017, 09:53:21 PM »
Wider, bigger etc...that isn't making a better rig for the woods. Maybe for the sand dunes. All things considered. My old 85 open diff. Big tire four banger light weight sr5 will still out wheel the new wide, big and heavy taco and Colorado...
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
The new TRD Off Rd? With Crawl control, I kinda doubt it..
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
It would mine cause I wouldn't want to get a scratch on it  :chuckle:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »

Apparently you did not read the reviews of the 2017 Midsized trucks very well. Have you driven a 2017 Ridgeline?
The Tacoma was also beaten by the Colorado and the Canyon. Actually you should be glad the other trucks have caught up with and past the Tacomas at least in initial quality. That can only lead to better and cheaper Tacomas. Competition is a good thing.
As for unibodies, I drove my unibody Jeep Cherokee LTD from Auburn Washington all the way to Moab Utah, wheeled for a week, then drove home, in comfort.
Tacomas are good trucks and for years there were only two mid-sized trucks to choose from the Tacoma and the Frontier. Now there are a few options that could fit the many different ways people use their trucks.

FYI Cars.com gives the Ridgeline 5 stars (out of 5) for customer Satisfaction and Reliability from 2008 - 2017,

The crazy fanboism does nothing for making a case.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
Hondas look like a, "push me pull me". Most of you probably have no idea what that is. Lol
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
FYI Cars.com gives the Ridgeline 5 stars (out of 5) for customer Satisfaction and Reliability from 2008 - 2017

I have no doubt that the Ridgeline is a good car.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
I just hope with all the competition, they can get some decent V6 power with MPGs in the high 20s.
Sucks to have a V6 and get less then 18 MPGs. My Ram got 15-16 on a good day.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
My two Taco's were both TRD Off Road Pre-runners. in about 300K miles on them combined they never saw over 19mpg on the best day driving like a saint. Most of the time average gravel/country road driving mixed with open interstate they got about 16-17mpg. Pull a small boat or the Casita and it would drop to 12-14mpg.

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »
My two Taco's were both TRD Off Road Pre-runners. in about 300K miles on them combined they never saw over 19mpg on the best day driving like a saint. Most of the time average gravel/country road driving mixed with open interstate they got about 16-17mpg. Pull a small boat or the Casita and it would drop to 12-14mpg.
so your the guy!! I've always wondered who bought the prerunners. My life dictates the need for 4x4, I see the prerunners out and bout a lot though.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
I heard the ridgelines have a shut off if you are going up any serious grade. Something about keeping the oil from dripping out?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
Ridgelines are a car, they aren't meant to go AWD'n around in 4x4 country.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
so your the guy!! I've always wondered who bought the prerunners. My life dictates the need for 4x4, I see the prerunners out and bout a lot though.

Owner of the company dictates the purchases. Excellent choice. I put miles on gravel, construction sites, driving to remote mine sites all over the western US. Never got stuck once. Diesel trucks bury in nose heavy as hell. Yes, every diesel in our fleet was 4x4. Because diesels get stuck twice as easy due to weight distribution.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 12:45:59 AM »

Apparently you did not read the reviews of the 2017 Midsized trucks very well. Have you driven a 2017 Ridgeline?
The Tacoma was also beaten by the Colorado and the Canyon. Actually you should be glad the other trucks have caught up with and past the Tacomas at least in initial quality. That can only lead to better and cheaper Tacomas. Competition is a good thing.
As for unibodies, I drove my unibody Jeep Cherokee LTD from Auburn Washington all the way to Moab Utah, wheeled for a week, then drove home, in comfort.
Tacomas are good trucks and for years there were only two mid-sized trucks to choose from the Tacoma and the Frontier. Now there are a few options that could fit the many different ways people use their trucks.

FYI Cars.com gives the Ridgeline 5 stars (out of 5) for customer Satisfaction and Reliability from 2008 - 2017,

The crazy fanboism does nothing for making a case.

Have you personally worked any Hondas yourself? Let alone ridgelines? I've worked on Hondas and toyotas both for a living for quite a few years now. And regardless of fanboism or car reviews ratings I can tell you that just because you read it was the best doesn't mean much. I have felt new and old ridglines, as well as new and old tacomas. I drive a 2000 tacoma with 320k sitting on the odometer. Would I think my tacoma rides better than a new ridgeline? Of course not without a doubt it probably rides a million times better. Almost any new truck rides pretty dang nice compared to old tin cans.

The ridgeline may not be my cup of tea or anyone elses. But if it floats some people's boats that's great, I'll consider it job security. Every man has his choice of truck but there are undoubtedly reasons why there is no hype over a ridgeline, no praise of honda for its truck or why they don't resale near as well.

All apples look good fresh on the tree, but not all apples have a shelf life, value and flavor as others do. With all the new mid size competition, I'm not interested in how they stack up now, I'm more interested in how the 2017s stack up 5 years from now with each other when warranties are over and components begin to wear.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]