collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: How to get out of the 90-10 rule  (Read 3703 times)

Offline jstone

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: How to get out of the 90-10 rule
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
I personally get as far away as I can from the roads and other people. Stay out all day. I have people I hunt with who will go back to the truck or camp for lunch. So they wont be to far away. I think this makes me in the above group. They always give me crap when I kill something it is miles away from the truck. I tell them just come along and you will already be out here with me. Be prepared to spend the night. Extra stuff.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
What about scents? What are your guys views who do regularly kill elk on estrous or your scents?

Offline Oh Mah

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
I've never used scents of any kind,Use to smoke 2 packs a day and now don't smoke at all.Never saw any difference there either.I always do have a campfire and have been told it covers scent very well and is pretty natural in the animals everyday life.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline jstone

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »
I don't use sents . I did in the past don't think it did much but make me stink. I get the wind right and work my way in. Sometimes you have to run in and sometimes you have to be stealthy.

Offline BoneCollector1

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Effort is the only thing that will get you in the 10 percent club ! That's it ! Read every book you can. Surround yourself with people who are in the 10 percent club.  Show me your crowd and I'll show you your future. Don't ever ever quit. It only takes one opportunity per season. You don't know exactly when that opp will present itself. If you quit though because the hunting is tough, you'll remain in the 90 percent club.

Online 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
I have used scent eliminates and large amounts of cow scents. The last one The bull came in down wind stopped At 30 yards know something isn't right stood there for 3 minutes turned and walk away. I do take a shower wash my hair
Every day with a non scented soap. Spray hair cap boots clothes down twice a day. And A liberal amount of cow scent on my cap and a  taped to my bow. When I call bulls I'll set up with a tree between him and me that's if he comes in where I think he will LOL.  So when his eyes are blocked from view I draw my bow. And
With a reed in my mouth I can cow call when needed to stop him for a shot. Another problem I have is poor hearing from blasting shot shells before hearing protection came out. The hearing aids with the pickup behind the ear will not give you directional as to what direction the bull is calling from you have to have the aids that are totally in the ear to be able to know what direction to expect him to come in. And never give up even in mid day. Easy to say but you never know

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:30 PM »
Paralysis by analysis......don't let it burn your day! I've seen guys lock up for hours because "they heard something."

Online 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Long ago I bugled a bull over the edge (west side brushy) seemed like I waited forever should have waited a little longer , the next day I saw where he came out and raked a tree. Definitely don't want to waste a day waiting

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
If you get in an area you can see bulls at a distance you will see them moving out at 600 yards plus as they catch your scent. Makes you wonder how you ever see anything on the westside - or maybe explains why you dont. 

Offline Duckhunter14

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
In my humble opinion the number one factor in being in that 10%, is mental toughness. Having the most expensive truck, the fanciest gear, scents, calls, etc. It all means nothing if you give up after a couple tough days and tuck your tail between your legs and give up. When I read this post the first thing that popped into my head was a Podcast that I was listening to. Roy Roth is being interviewed by Cody Rich and they discuss this topic (not elk specific- but applicable). Roy was a hunter that I really looked up to and respected. I think he has a very good opinion on the subject. Not to mention he has some awesome stories; like crawling into a bear den with a bear still in it! Here is the podcast;

http://www.therichoutdoors.net/ep-005-roy-roth-hunting-alaska/

Persistence and perseverance fills tags. Find a hunting partner that keeps a positive attitude and never gives up and good things will happen.

-Clint 
"I don't hunt to live, I live to hunt."

"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

My two favorite words? Take em!

Offline Cab

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
I am no where near the 10% but thats mostly because I am still learning a lot about big game hunting(my 7th season) and this will be my first elk season. That being said I have had very good luck in terms of getting opportunities this last few years on deer in my former state which has a very low population. The mental toughness is 100% what is needed ESPECIALLY if you are not the most seasoned hunter. I would always tell myself that "What I lack in experience, I make up for in perseverance". If your having a bad day and cant seem to find what you're after the best thing you can do is not to go home but to make a plan and burn some boot leather. Exploring and understanding the area you hunt inside and out takes a lot of time so instead of packing it in, go to parts you have yet to scout. When it's bad weather, when it's cold or when its late in the season when everyone else is at home warm in bed you should be out in the woods grinding to the last min of season. I once had a beautiful buck on the last day in the last hour come walking in and if a doe didn't bust me I would have closed the deal. Remember they have to be perfect all the time, you just have to be perfect once.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
I am no where near the 10% but thats mostly because I am still learning a lot about big game hunting(my 7th season) and this will be my first elk season. That being said I have had very good luck in terms of getting opportunities this last few years on deer in my former state which has a very low population. The mental toughness is 100% what is needed ESPECIALLY if you are not the most seasoned hunter. I would always tell myself that "What I lack in experience, I make up for in perseverance". If your having a bad day and cant seem to find what you're after the best thing you can do is not to go home but to make a plan and burn some boot leather. Exploring and understanding the area you hunt inside and out takes a lot of time so instead of packing it in, go to parts you have yet to scout. When it's bad weather, when it's cold or when its late in the season when everyone else is at home warm in bed you should be out in the woods grinding to the last min of season. I once had a beautiful buck on the last day in the last hour come walking in and if a doe didn't bust me I would have closed the deal. Remember they have to be perfect all the time, you just have to be perfect once.

Well said.  :tup:
"I don't hunt to live, I live to hunt."

"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

My two favorite words? Take em!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
I agree that 7 days is not enough time and hunt sun up to sun down. Two full weeks is minimal time. Normally we don't kill elk in camp but there are folks that do.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Offline snarkybull

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:50 PM »
Some may not want to post this but if you have a pile of advice let us know how you have done the last x number of years 1 for 5, or 5 for 5.

Does 4 out of 6 OTC qualify me?  The other two included a smorgasbord of eff-ups on my part mixed with horrendous luck and malfunctioning equipment.

additional points I was reminded of:

Have a darn good hunting partner.  This CANNOT be overstated.  I can count on mine to go out most if not all of the 13 days, even when he tags out first, and I do the same.  Text messaging is your best friend when in cell range.  4 eyes beats the snot out of 2.

Seriously, it is mostly about spending as much time as possible in areas that elk frequent and having some freaking patience.  I like to think of myself as a hole in the woods, and do not usually call.  Mostly, DO NOT LEAVE a good spot just because they are not there right now.  The grass is not always greener on the other side, and moving gets you noticed.
How long til elk season?!??  crap.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Learn how to use hunting pressure to your advantage.

Don't just figure out where elk like to hang out. Figure out where they go when spooked.

Go where the elk are. Even if it isn't a mile from the road.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Online 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »
Calling elk is a tool one needs in his her tool box. to begin with    I like to cow call first of all. Bulls will answer a cow call with a bugle. Time to check the wind lay of the land and be aggressive. When you think you are 50 / 100 yards from him find a set up spot,cow call with a grunt tube aiiming behind you this way the bull will think you are farther away then what you are and walk by you giving you a going away shot. If the area is brushy stand in front of the brush not behind it. Going back to the start if after 10 minutes or so you don't have a reply from a cow call   bugle a locator call. I like to cow call first because often a herd bull will leave the area with his cows. Use cow calls to call cows also be aware this sometimes won't work if you are out in the open as elk look for other elk so a decoy will come in useful if you so choose to use one. Many times a Leary  bull  will circle you to get a sniff of you so you should check the wind and circle him so he can't wind you get semi close and start cow calling behind you
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:26:44 PM by 4fletch »

Offline cem3434

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, DU, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
Lots of sound advice.  :tup:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
Those that spend the most time in the woods seem to gain the greatest knowledge.  Spend time scouting, tracking and watching from a distance.  Learn the patterns and the different spots the animals use.  If you get a few miles off a beaten path, you will get away from 80% of most hunters.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline buglebrush

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
Hunting rutting elk there's no need to wear fleece booties. Elk are extremely loud animals in the woods. Make noise! If you are to quiet and calling elk usually are keen to it. I break branches on purpose, roll rocks and etc .. I've called elk in with just making natural noise

I agree with this.  The more agressive I get the more opportunities I have.  Sure you may blow a few, but you will miss far more chances by nibbling around the edges.  However, never ever fight the wind.  I will absolutely wait / hike / do whatever it takes to get the wind right, but once it's right I will charge in with no regard whatsoever for how much crashing and stomping I make.  It totally helps sell your calling IMO. 

Also, find their bedding areas and kill them there.   :twocents:

Offline b0bbyg

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Some may not want to post this but if you have a pile of advice let us know how you have done the last x number of years 1 for 5, or 5 for 5.

Does 4 out of 6 OTC qualify me?  The other two included a smorgasbord of eff-ups on my part mixed with horrendous luck and malfunctioning equipment.

additional points I was reminded of:

Have a darn good hunting partner.  This CANNOT be overstated.  I can count on mine to go out most if not all of the 13 days, even when he tags out first, and I do the same.  Text messaging is your best friend when in cell range.  4 eyes beats the snot out of 2.

Seriously, it is mostly about spending as much time as possible in areas that elk frequent and having some freaking patience.  I like to think of myself as a hole in the woods, and do not usually call.  Mostly, DO NOT LEAVE a good spot just because they are not there right now.  The grass is not always greener on the other side, and moving gets you noticed.

Thanks for the advice, and yes 4 for 6 is awesome.  That is double what I have accomplished in the last 6 :tup:

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Scout
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
This may sound like common sense but I think its worth posting.

1. Hunt more days, I used to hunt 5 days for elk, now I shoot for 11-12.
2. Learn how to call and call well, learning how to call opens up a ton more scenarios.
3. Don't be afraid to chase a bugle into a hole. Elk like nasty spots, I have killed ALL my elk in F'D up spots to get them out.
4. Follow the game main trails, but check the wind. This takes a lot less energy opposed to side hilling and hiking 7-8 miles a day you will run into the elk every few days. Once you find them hunt them.
5. Check wind, check wind, check wind.
6. Don't be afraid to draw your bow. Last year I drew on 3 elk as they were looking at me between 15-30 yards none of them busted, but they do tense up.
7. Practice shooting, one of my buddies is an outfitter he told me that 50-75% of his clients miss. Pick a spot, and elk has a huge kill zone, people get sloppy, this causes misses. I started slowing it down last year and talking myself through my shot mentally.
8. Cold calling brings in elk, when I'm exhausted I will set up in an elk area and cold call. Mostly cow and calf and heard noises. I have had whole herds come in 2 hours after I started.
9. If you have a unit you have success in, guard that secret and keep hunting it. Success CAN be measured in encounters, encounters will eventually get turned into harvests. You will find new wallows, and know escape routes as well as trails better. Most likely I'm hunting the same unit I hunted last year and I have a game plan for day 1, day 2, day 3 etc until I find the elk so I can hunt them effectively.

I wouldn't say I'm in the 10% but the last 2 years I filled my tag with a bow. Last year I called in elk inside 30 yards 4 times in 11 days. For me its like something clicked, I used to hunt and feel like I didn't know what I was doing. Now I still have those moments but my confidence is way different every time I go in the woods I feel like I have a good chance at harvesting an elk or getting in close.

Offline Rainier10

• Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Just came back to this thread and read the new replies.

TONS of great information in here.

Lots of stuff that I do and I agree with that I didn't put in my reply of what gets you into the 10%.

Getting in and staying in that 10% may be getting a little harder if everyone follows the advice in this thread but as my signature line says, "I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it."
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Crunchy

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
If you want to gain a lot of elk hunting knowledge in a short amount of time, I would recommend hunting out of state that has a better season and less hunting pressure.  You will learn 10 years of  hunting Washington elk knowledge in 2-3 years out of state.

Online 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
The newbees that are reading this thread are very fortunate, there  was   Very little info like this back in the 70's  80% of my knowledge was trial and error. Which brings up, pay attention to this thread every piece of advice here has been proven to get you close to your elk. There is a time to cover ground ( stop every so often and look , glass ahead so you don't run up to bedded deer or elk.) time to slow
Down ( in thick brush where there may be elk.)
, and a time to go in slow n quite ( this mode I will take a few steps
stop , as I take a step as I go to put my foot down I feel what is under my boot before
I place all my weight down, feeling for a branch etc. if needed I will then shorten or lengthen so as not to make a noise. Use your eyes to first scan right to left then slowly Move your headroom the left  and scan again.) animals see
Movement so move slow I mean real slow when necessary . Practice draw n shoot until it is first nature you want to be able to do this in your sleep. Learn by your mistakes and Mistakes made by others and  pay attention listen to others what they have to say weed out the bull poop
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:58:34 PM by 4fletch »

Offline Machias

• Muleskinner
  • Off-Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
If you want to gain a lot of elk hunting knowledge in a short amount of time, I would recommend hunting out of state that has a better season and less hunting pressure.  You will learn 10 years of  hunting Washington elk knowledge in 2-3 years out of state.

:yeah:

* Recent Topics

2017 Special Permits Results by huntnphool
[Today at 01:19:04 AM]

Black bear hunts in Canada by Shooting Stix
[Today at 01:08:22 AM]

Weyerhaeuser Permits on sale now by JeffRaines
[Today at 12:23:26 AM]

Mountain goat conflict reduction by warthog
[Yesterday at 11:37:20 PM]

Wells Dam by huntnphool
[Yesterday at 11:35:53 PM]