collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to get out of the 90-10 rule  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: How to get out of the 90-10 rule
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
This may sound like common sense but I think its worth posting.

1. Hunt more days, I used to hunt 5 days for elk, now I shoot for 11-12.
2. Learn how to call and call well, learning how to call opens up a ton more scenarios.
3. Don't be afraid to chase a bugle into a hole. Elk like nasty spots, I have killed ALL my elk in F'D up spots to get them out.
4. Follow the game main trails, but check the wind. This takes a lot less energy opposed to side hilling and hiking 7-8 miles a day you will run into the elk every few days. Once you find them hunt them.
5. Check wind, check wind, check wind.
6. Don't be afraid to draw your bow. Last year I drew on 3 elk as they were looking at me between 15-30 yards none of them busted, but they do tense up.
7. Practice shooting, one of my buddies is an outfitter he told me that 50-75% of his clients miss. Pick a spot, and elk has a huge kill zone, people get sloppy, this causes misses. I started slowing it down last year and talking myself through my shot mentally.
8. Cold calling brings in elk, when I'm exhausted I will set up in an elk area and cold call. Mostly cow and calf and heard noises. I have had whole herds come in 2 hours after I started.
9. If you have a unit you have success in, guard that secret and keep hunting it. Success CAN be measured in encounters, encounters will eventually get turned into harvests. You will find new wallows, and know escape routes as well as trails better. Most likely I'm hunting the same unit I hunted last year and I have a game plan for day 1, day 2, day 3 etc until I find the elk so I can hunt them effectively.

I wouldn't say I'm in the 10% but the last 2 years I filled my tag with a bow. Last year I called in elk inside 30 yards 4 times in 11 days. For me its like something clicked, I used to hunt and feel like I didn't know what I was doing. Now I still have those moments but my confidence is way different every time I go in the woods I feel like I have a good chance at harvesting an elk or getting in close.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Just came back to this thread and read the new replies.

TONS of great information in here.

Lots of stuff that I do and I agree with that I didn't put in my reply of what gets you into the 10%.

Getting in and staying in that 10% may be getting a little harder if everyone follows the advice in this thread but as my signature line says, "I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it."
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
If you want to gain a lot of elk hunting knowledge in a short amount of time, I would recommend hunting out of state that has a better season and less hunting pressure.  You will learn 10 years of  hunting Washington elk knowledge in 2-3 years out of state.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
The newbees that are reading this thread are very fortunate, there  was   Very little info like this back in the 70's  80% of my knowledge was trial and error. Which brings up, pay attention to this thread every piece of advice here has been proven to get you close to your elk. There is a time to cover ground ( stop every so often and look , glass ahead so you don't run up to bedded deer or elk.) time to slow
Down ( in thick brush where there may be elk.)
, and a time to go in slow n quite ( this mode I will take a few steps
stop , as I take a step as I go to put my foot down I feel what is under my boot before
I place all my weight down, feeling for a branch etc. if needed I will then shorten or lengthen so as not to make a noise. Use your eyes to first scan right to left then slowly Move your headroom the left  and scan again.) animals see
Movement so move slow I mean real slow when necessary . Practice draw n shoot until it is first nature you want to be able to do this in your sleep. Learn by your mistakes and Mistakes made by others and  pay attention listen to others what they have to say weed out the bull poop
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:58:34 PM by 4fletch »

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
If you want to gain a lot of elk hunting knowledge in a short amount of time, I would recommend hunting out of state that has a better season and less hunting pressure.  You will learn 10 years of  hunting Washington elk knowledge in 2-3 years out of state.

:yeah:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline elkboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted!  This is not just an informative thread, but a very inspirational one.  I have been inspired to be the best bowhunter I can be by the time September rolls around.  Thanks for the off-season motivational kick in the rear! 

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
The newbees that are reading this thread are very fortunate, there  was   Very little info like this back in the 70's  80% of my knowledge was trial and error. Which brings up, pay attention to this thread every piece of advice here has been proven to get you close to your elk. There is a time to cover ground ( stop every so often and look , glass ahead so you don't run up to bedded deer or elk.) time to slow
Down ( in thick brush where there may be elk.)
, and a time to go in slow n quite ( this mode I will take a few steps
stop , as I take a step as I go to put my foot down I feel what is under my boot before
I place all my weight down, feeling for a branch etc. if needed I will then shorten or lengthen so as not to make a noise. Use your eyes to first scan right to left then slowly Move your headroom the left  and scan again.) animals see
Movement so move slow I mean real slow when necessary . Practice draw n shoot until it is first nature you want to be able to do this in your sleep. Learn by your mistakes and Mistakes made by others and  pay attention listen to others what they have to say weed out the bull poop
Stick to the shadows, use trees and brush to break up your profile...always cool to sneak into elk....
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
Sneaking in is one of my favorites

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
 :yeah: There are many times I sneak up on the elk without calling. If they don't know your there, don't let them. Many times I have got into the middle of a herd this way.

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »

6. Don't be afraid to draw your bow. Last year I drew on 3 elk as they were looking at me between 15-30 yards none of them busted, but they do tense up.

Excellent point, buddy.  Every elk but one that I have killed with an arrow watched me draw.  I have never had one spook because of the draw.  Never.  Blacktails, yes, but not elk.
How long til elk season?!??

Online romaknows

• Scout
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

Excellent point, buddy.  Every elk but one that I have killed with an arrow watched me draw
.  I have never had one spook because of the draw.  Never.  Blacktails, yes, but not elk.

Good to know, anyone else notice this?

high country rules!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 07:08:53 PM »
tag

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
Ive been compleatly liveing elk for well ,,,, i dont know ? But all you guys bring up a lot of what elk hunting is and what it takes, time is after all the rest is compleate the most mind battle i for one have put in and i have never succeeded with my bow , but more times than i can count i leave the mountains feeling compleatly satified with the way thi gs had happened, like ive said before ive had everytbing happen to me but the shot. This 10-90 thing suprises me becouse thats how im rateing my window of oppertunity as to old age creeping threw the 10% of the window thats still open like tbe giant worm hole in space , but seriously folks this is one of the best yoogles ever great stuff guys ,, get outhere while they still let us !!
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Shaqdiesel

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
Tag
60% of the time, it works every time.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2017, 09:07:02 PM »

Excellent point, buddy.  Every elk but one that I have killed with an arrow watched me draw
.  I have never had one spook because of the draw.  Never.  Blacktails, yes, but not elk.

Good to know, anyone else notice this?

I've busted plenty of elk while drawing back, especially bulls coming in to calls. Sometimes there is no choice but to draw while an elk is looking your direction, but obviously it's not the preferred choice.  If he is walking wait until his head disappears behind a tree, if he is feeding wait until his head is down, if he is raking a tree he most likely can't see you. Have a cow call in your mouth to stop him for the shot. It's cliche but PICK A SPOT! Aim small miss small! The first 15 years I bow hunted I was the epitome of the 90% 0-15! The last ten years I am 10-10 all OTC in a "crappy" west side unit that I know like the back of my hand! 4 bulls, 6 cows. Like others have said the single biggest factor to success is Quality time spent in the field! A positive attitude is a must!  Good luck to you guys I am getting pumped for September!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal