collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 25 rotting elk carcasses, charges filed  (Read 11271 times)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: 25 rotting elk carcasses, charges filed
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »
I read their press report and it solidified my opinion that the guy needs the book thrown at him.  No excuses or mitigating circumstances based on my read of the ODFW, OSP and landowner releases.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
BTW I don't think that the landowner press release helped their case in any way.  I would be shocked if the defense thinks that was a good idea.  Rookie move IMHO.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
BTW I don't think that the landowner press release helped their case in any way.  I would be shocked if the defense thinks that was a good idea.  Rookie move IMHO.

I don't see this ending well for them. 

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

I thought the same thing, but their attorney released it for them.   They must be feeling pretty ostracized by the press, forums like this and/or their community to do something like that.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
Hang em ,I have asked a lot of land owners for permission to hunt.And these are the types that tell you no.I have no remorse for anything they have coming,and do agree allowing hunting may have help there case,and to lazy to gut, skin, and take it to local butcher , so local low income family's can benefit,what a $@#@ these people are.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
I do feel sympathy for them.  But, if they didn't allow access to push the critters off their land they are less sympathetic.  It's tough to tell the extent to which they allowed hunting.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Nope still no remorse from me.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
From the landowner press release:

In answer to the accusations that we don’t allow hunters, that is not correct.  We have allowed people we know, who can utilize the meat, to purchase depredation tags.   Often times they are working during the week and can only hunt on weekends or evenings.  This limits the time that the tags allow.  Another reason we have limited hunters coming on our property, if the hunters come from outside Wallowa County, they are not familiar with our fence lines.  We do not have permission from adjoining landowners to kill elk on their ground.  Yes, we are particular who hunts on our property as we feel responsible if shots are fired towards neighbor’s homes and an elk is killed off of our property.

I have no sympathy for them.  Don't charge fees and limit hunting and the elk problem would not be as severe.  If they allowed enough hunting they may even reduce the overall population.

If folks can't deal with wildlife on their property I suggest they sell and move to town where they won't be "burdened".  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
Hang em ,I have asked a lot of land owners for permission to hunt.And these are the types that tell you no.I have no remorse for anything they have coming,and do agree allowing hunting may have help there case,and to lazy to gut, skin, and take it to local butcher , so local low income family's can benefit,what a $@#@ these people are.

On some level I can appreciate that they may have felt too busy with other critical farm duties to take the time to gut and skin the animals and drive them to a local butcher.  Even for a pro, not counting driving time that could be half an hour per elk by the time they get the rifle, shoot the elk, get the tractor out there to string it up, and gut/skin it.  If it really took removal of 20 elk to solve their problem, that's a huge effort.

That said, their excuses are still overall lame.  If the elk are that bad they could have gotten damage permits and allowed hunters to do it all for them.  I can understand a reluctance to let strangers onto your land for that, but now the dude is likely to go to jail and/or pay massive fines.  Best case they're going to be out $10-30k for their lawyer, even if the lawyer gets them off Scot free.  I'm guessing that even if the hunters did some damage in the process of dealing with the elk that would have been FAR less of a burden to them in the end.

And if they were that worried they could require the hunters be placed in a specific location with clearly defined fields of fire rather than being allowed to wander all over.  Or some other means of minimizing potential for damage.  It's not that hard.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
 :yeah:

Ya then they say they paid for 7,000 in fencing , but we can't afford to haul the elk to butcher shop with kill permits,give me a break.

Offline getreal711

• 1ST Sergeant
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
They could have asked for help from the hunting community and taken care of this the legal and moral way and provided food for others in need instead of wasting it.
29 yrs Army as an instructor with weapons and transportation. Now play time at my own expense.

Offline Allen23

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »
hey to you above me, thanks for your 29years of service! :yeah: :tup:

Yeah I do not think its going to be pretty for these folks. I hope all the people that here of this will learn from it, most of all I hope the ODFW takes something away from this.
In a world where it is so easy to attach your self to the negative side of things remember, What would Grandpa say?

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
I read it as well, really understand their frustration.

But I read a sense of entitlement to government protection from the same natural world that provides for thier livelihood.

If you're going to demand the government help, you need to be a little flexible.  In this case, it would mean allowing a few more depredation hunts to people other than your immediate friends & family.  Her argument for not allowing others to kill elk in-season on their land is weak, imho, and it appears some depredation tags went unfilled.  And by her own admission, the elk were there for all hunting seasons - bow and muzzy included.

Poor choices by landowner in response to depending on a typical non-responsive, bureaucratic government agecy to fulfill a sense of entitlement they adopted on their own.  Had they allowed more people to hunt, they likely wouldn't have this problem.  It was their decision, and decisions have consequences.

True story

I agree they could have alleviated the problem just allowing more hunters. Sounds like the elk were there during the rut long before the big snow hit. If they would have allowed a lot more hunters problem would have been solved 

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
Maybe the guy needs mental help? Maybe he's like the hoarders out there with there cars full of trash? :dunno:  Just stiring the pot with this coment.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Speculation, many hunters are slobs. If the allegations are in fact true, letting people hunt the property the years prior would have absolutely no effect on the end result.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]