collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading Tip - Bullet Seating concentricity < .001  (Read 5991 times)

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Reloading Tip - Bullet Seating concentricity < .001
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 06:36:08 AM »
It's a combination of the jacket material, bearing length, boat tail shape and ignition curve all crammed into one. I seated at +.2" and I was shooting like the old days....reduce the depth by .1" and it's a shotgun. I did run it to 900 and it's sub moa the whole way.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
It's a combination of the jacket material, bearing length, boat tail shape and ignition curve all crammed into one. I seated at +.2" and I was shooting like the old days....reduce the depth by .1" and it's a shotgun. I did run it to 900 and it's sub moa the whole way.

So it liked .100 more jump to the lands ? i.e. seating deeper into the case ?

Oops nevermind saw your answer above - .200 off the lands.  Maybe I better try the LRAB in my Weatherbys if they like a lot of jump - I can't even get that close!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:22:53 AM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »

28 Nosler, 175 ABLR, 78.3 gr H1000, Fed 215M, seated 3.55 oal.

I Punched your numbers into quickload and as far as speed goes it says accuracy node is at 78.4 gr so you should be right there ( Is that how you came up with 78.3 ? )

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
Nice! No, it was trial and error. I tested to find max load in my gun then backed it off until accuracy was the best. Currently I am at about .225 jump, there is only ~.125 of the bearing surface remaining outside the case mouth before ogive goes inside the mouth. It seems to be at a happy point though :tup:  if it ever stops raining I will head out n test my current loads. I need more ABLRs quick though!  Loaded my last 15 yesterday.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Nice! No, it was trial and error. I tested to find max load in my gun then backed it off until accuracy was the best. Currently I am at about .225 jump, there is only ~.125 of the bearing surface remaining outside the case mouth before ogive goes inside the mouth. It seems to be at a happy point though :tup:  if it ever stops raining I will head out n test my current loads. I need more ABLRs quick though!  Loaded my last 15 yesterday.

Yea I'm finding tuning loads this weatherby eats bullets and powder like crazy!

I guy I know on here has had good luck with 195 bergers, 81.5gr Retumbo, 3.67 coal in his 28 Nosler, 26" barrel.  Shoots 1000 yards regularly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:48:36 AM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »
I bet!  78 grains a bullet is nothing compared to 100+ you are probably using. I need to get an 8lb H1000 next time I see one. Quick load is on my list too...

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
I just did some load development for my 28 nosler with a 27" barrel using N570 which is slower than retumbo.  Interesting enough i ended up with lower grain charge with an ES of 6 over 6 shots.  3050 with the 195 is where my rifle likes to shoot.  .0020 off lands.  Problem that i was having was with Nosler brass.  Only could get about 3 shots after case web expansion.  I switched to 26 Norma brass and resized them and they are lasting longer.  I couldn't/didn't need to use that much powder before i got the velocities i wanted. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
Sounds like you have a good load. I wouldn't mind using the Viht powders, I just have never been around anyone who has used them much and it seems most of the places I go have a limited supply. Don't think I have ever heard anything bad about their powders and most speak highly of them.

My Nosler brass has been ok so far but seems to have a thick neck and I am considering turning it down a bit. Have you measured the amount of neck constriction before the button brings it back up to set neck tension?  I am getting ~7 thousandths extra constriction before sizing button brings it up to about 3 thousandths neck tension. So far webs have been fine.

Good idea upsizing the 26 Norma brass, I have always been very happy with Norma brass. It is cheaper too!  Almost $3 for a piece of brass seems excessive.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
Sounds like you have a good load. I wouldn't mind using the Viht powders, I just have never been around anyone who has used them much and it seems most of the places I go have a limited supply. Don't think I have ever heard anything bad about their powders and most speak highly of them.

My Nosler brass has been ok so far but seems to have a thick neck and I am considering turning it down a bit. Have you measured the amount of neck constriction before the button brings it back up to set neck tension?  I am getting ~7 thousandths extra constriction before sizing button brings it up to about 3 thousandths neck tension. So far webs have been fine.

Good idea upsizing the 26 Norma brass, I have always been very happy with Norma brass. It is cheaper too!  Almost $3 for a piece of brass seems excessive.

I get my n570 from grafs online.   I have a standard Redding die that does the same thing - shrinks the neck .007 then expander brings it to .003.   For my Lapua I just use a Redding bushing die with no expander to get .002.  But not available for Wbee.  Ordered a custom Lee collet set ($75) so when that comes we will see how that does.

My best sign for pressure is measuring the web / belt.  If it grows by more than .002 its too hot.  At .0025 it starts getting snug in my chamber and you can't resize the very base.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »
I use the hornady tool and find it useful for checking runout, primarily just to ensure my process is in control.  I used to, but no longer use the tool to actually correct runout.  My loaded rounds land around 0.003 runout; +/- 0.002.  I've found that using the hornady tool to correct down to 0.001 or less doesn't yield any measurable result off the bench, and certainly not in the field.  I'm also suspicious of what applying lateral force to the bullet/neck junction is doing to your neck tension.  IMO consistent neck tension is far more important to consistent accuracy than correcting a few thou variation in runout.  so, my recommendation is to use the hornady tool (or some other variety from Sinclair or Neico) to check your runout.  If your process is yielding greater than say 4 or 5 thou of runout then you're better off to find the source (brass, dies, neck expanding method, etc) and eliminate the problem.

there are some knowledgeable reloading folks on this forum - perhaps we can start a new thread with tips and tricks for preventing runout?  Is that of interest to anyone?
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Good idea.  Ive also found the rotate tip gets new or necksized brass down to .001 for me but fullsized brass runs up to .004-.005 probably due to a less than great die. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
@hogslayer - are you annealing necks

Magnum_Willys - have you needed to?  I have never had problems with my Weatherby brass through numerous loadings.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
Sure am.  Annealed after every shot. Usually about 4-4.5 seconds.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
@hogslayer - are you annealing necks

Magnum_Willys - have you needed to?  I have never had problems with my Weatherby brass through numerous loadings.

Wow I had to.  Third loading the necks snapped clean off on several cases when unloading.  Wth ?  Granted I had way to much neck tension but testing the brass it was clear I needed to anneal.  I think the 338-378 may be the worst of all with that double bottleneck. 

Was gonna put some pics up on it soon.  I use a 5/8 deep socket in cordless drill to hold brass.   Use discard brass to test.  Turn off lights and spin towards top of single wide flame ( I use the click on torch not the narrow pencil beam one)  and count when it just turns dull red.  Subtract a second.  I set iphone on to a metronome app to count seconds but not really needed.  I hold to just shy of 5 second and drop in pan of water.  Comes out exactly like lapua cases.   I use one of those brass machinist click punches to test hardness.  Just press on known soft case an compare to annealed ones.

Can use 750 templilq to test but not really needed.  Dip the neck of a half dozen discarded cases in bottle.  Wipe off outside of half of them.  Let dry.  Test your process and see if you are just getting to 750.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal